Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Could Suriano take out Spencer Lee this year?

They should place half their starters on a modified schedule. Just sit them out against the really good guys that could potentially beat them and wrestle everyone else. Wait until March. No need to go thru all this angst and excuse making. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, DEFan79 said:

Eh, the infection was localized to the knee.  That's not going to affect his energy level or overall performance beyond some soreness. Meanwhile, Yianni was wrestling with a torn ACL.

Again, Suriano looked completely fine and exactly like he did throughout the year.

i just have to jump in here and laugh at how ridiculous this statement is... not counting the effects of not being able to train for several weeks leading up to the finals, but, clearly you have no understanding of how antibiotics wreck your body and zap all strength, energy, cardio levels...

suriano stepped on the mat, so, he has to live with the results as did lee yesterday, but, to make such an ignorant claim that being hosiptalized with massive amounts of antibiotics shoved into to combat a serious case of staph wouldn't effect anything beyond a little soreness pretty much removes you from consideration of being a reasonable person... 

43 minutes ago, LJB said:

i just have to jump in here and laugh at how ridiculous this statement is... not counting the effects of not being able to train for several weeks leading up to the finals, but, clearly you have no understanding of how antibiotics wreck your body and zap all strength, energy, cardio levels...

suriano stepped on the mat, so, he has to live with the results as did lee yesterday, but, to make such an ignorant claim that being hosiptalized with massive amounts of antibiotics shoved into to combat a serious case of staph wouldn't effect anything beyond a little soreness pretty much removes you from consideration of being a reasonable person... 

I've had a staph infection before, and you are grossly, dramatically overstating the situation. 

48 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

After the NCAAs I can't see Suriano having success against Spencer.

Exactly.  Beyond the fact that Lee is just generally better all-around than Suriano, Lee is a particularly bad match-up for him.  Lee is one of the very few that enjoys the ties as much or more than Suriano, and Suriano, while usually pretty decent on top, showed that he was incapable of keeping him down.

Just now, DEFan79 said:

Exactly.  Beyond the fact that Lee is just generally better all-around than Suriano, Lee is a particularly bad match-up for him.  Lee is one of the very few that enjoys the ties as much or more than Suriano, and Suriano, while usually pretty decent on top, showed that he was incapable of keeping him down.

After NCAA's I'm sure no one saw Rivera having success against Spencer as well.

4 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

I've had a staph infection before, and you are grossly, dramatically overstating the situation. 

whether or not you had staph is debatable... what is not debatable is that you had a case of staph so bad that you were hospitalized for 8 days... had that been the case for you, you would not be so ignorant...

but, whatever...

Just now, LJB said:

whether or not you had staph is debatable... what is not debatable is that you had a case of staph so bad that you were hospitalized for 8 days... had that been the case for you, you would not be so ignorant...

but, whatever...

Was hospitalized for 6.  But you seem to have this inaccurate assumption, that you're laid up and bedridden, and are not allowed to move around or get activity.  You're not.  Staph infections, when treated properly, are relatively routine, and for a healthy person, especially someone as well-conditioned as Suriano, the antibiotics are not going to dramatically effect him.  He wrestled just like his normal self at NCAAs, and the extra rest probably helped him relative to those who went through the ringer at their conference championships.

4 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Was hospitalized for 6.  But you seem to have this inaccurate assumption, that you're laid up and bedridden, and are not allowed to move around or get activity.  You're not.  Staph infections, when treated properly, are relatively routine, and for a healthy person, especially someone as well-conditioned as Suriano, the antibiotics are not going to dramatically effect him.  He wrestled just like his normal self at NCAAs, and the extra rest probably helped him relative to those who went through the ringer at their conference championships.

i don't believe your story...

again, whatever... you are a silly person...

any infection in your body can dramatically affect your performance... an infection bad enough to require hospitalization for any length of time is without a doubt going to have an affect on your performance... antibiotics by their very nature have an affect on your performance... the amount administered to you to combat an infection seriousness enough to require hospitalization for 8 days is without a doubt going to affect your performance...

if extra rest in a hospital was more beneficial than training and competing we would see a ridiculous amount of late season "injuries"

we don't...

it isn't...

silly person... 

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i don't believe your story...

again, whatever... you are a silly person...

any infection in your body can dramatically affect your performance... an infection bad enough to require hospitalization for any length of time is without a doubt going to have an affect on your performance... antibiotics by their very nature have an affect on your performance... the amount administered to you to combat an infection seriousness enough to require hospitalization for 8 days is without a doubt going to affect your performance...

if extra rest in a hospital was more beneficial than training and competing we would see a ridiculous amount of late season "injuries"

we don't...

it isn't...

silly person... 

It's fine - you can believe whatever you want. i know better, so I'm not going to lose sleep over your inexperienced view of the matter.

We can go back and forth on this subject all day and then some, Spencer got beat, he is human, after all. Give the Rivera some credit, he took it to him this time.  To be honest this is a good time to take a lose, if there is a good time, now he can go back and knows he can not cruise and need to turn it back on just like last year. As for Suriano, who knows what happens after he drop 8 more pounds to make 125. It doesn't sound like much, but anybody who has cut weight, knows 8 more pounds on a lean frame like he has is a lot.   Last year Lee took Nationals like a whirl wind, what he have like 3 techs, pins Nato, who in the world would have imagine that, then take out Suriano. Doesn't get much better than that. The season is just now really begging. My old coach always told me it was all preseason up till league, then sectional, districts then state. Same here other than how it affects seeding.

2 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Maybe Suriano is better at sucking it up and hiding his illness/injuries than Lee? Is that what you're saying? Maybe hes just tougher?

This is my takeaway.  Basically DEFan79 is saying Suriano at 75% looks better than Lee at 75%.

I do think Lee at 100% beats Suriano at 100% at NCAA's, but I agree that the argument of "having a flu a month ago is worse than being hospitalized due to a staph infection" is a little silly.  Some quick googling shows that most people who have the flu feel much better within 1-2 weeks.   Even if Lee's was "really bad," let's put it at 3 weeks and that's still at least a week of no flu even if we put the start date as the 12/1 match vs. ISU.   However, I'm not sure I'm buying it as he also wrestled 12/8 vs. Lehigh, so I find it hard to believe that he would have wrestled that match if he was still sick or just recovering.   Besides, looks like 12/8 was his last match so surely he must have been as "well rested" as Suriano was last year.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This is my takeaway.  Basically DEFan79 is saying Suriano at 75% looks better than Lee at 75%.

I do think Lee at 100% beats Suriano at 100% at NCAA's, but I agree that the argument of "having a flu a month ago is worse than being hospitalized due to a staph infection" is a little silly.  Some quick googling shows that most people who have the flu feel much better within 1-2 weeks.   Even if Lee's was "really bad," let's put it at 3 weeks and that's still at least a week of no flu even if we put the start date as the 12/1 match vs. ISU.   However, I'm not sure I'm buying it as he also wrestled 12/8 vs. Lehigh, so I find it hard to believe that he would have wrestled that match if he was still sick or just recovering.   Besides, looks like 12/8 was his last match so surely he must have been as "well rested" as Suriano was last year.

But that's not what he said. He said Suriano was healthy and Lee was not.

What's really amazing to me is that it's so difficult for some people to accept that maybe, just maybe Rivera and Glory have both improved to the point where either has caught up to Lee as if that's an insult on Lee.

Imo saying stuff like "No disrespect to Rivera" or °Not taking anything away from Rivera's, but Lee was sick" actually is disrespectful to him and is taking away from him win. To me it's not all that different when people say stuff like  "Sorry, but not sorry." Its more like... "not making any excuses for Lee, but I actually am making excuses for Lee."

Edited by BigTenFanboy