Sign in to follow this  
silvermedal

Sammy Sasso

Beat Maruca, Pantaleo and Lugo en route to finishing 3rd as a true frosh at Midlands.  His only loss--to Teemer--was badly officiated for the last 30 secs (not just the horrible back points call--Teemer should have had a reversal instead of an escape it appeared prior to that awful call).    Is it possible the best Ohio State lineup this season would include Sasso at 149 and Micah at 157?  And what happens next season when Hayes wants to drop back to 149?  Sasso doesn't look like a big 149.  In fact, I wonder if he could make 141?  

37 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Beat Maruca, Pantaleo and Lugo en route to finishing 3rd as a true frosh at Midlands.  His only loss--to Teemer--was badly officiated for the last 30 secs (not just the horrible back points call--Teemer should have had a reversal instead of an escape it appeared prior to that awful call).    Is it possible the best Ohio State lineup this season would include Sasso at 149 and Micah at 157?  And what happens next season when Hayes wants to drop back to 149?  Sasso doesn't look like a big 149.  In fact, I wonder if he could make 141?  

Silvermedal, do you know how the match-ups go in the room? I don't believe for a second the Pantaleo we saw this past weekend is the same wrestler we saw beat Micah Jordan 4 times. I'm not just referring to Sasso's match. As far as the lineup, regardless who you think is better, Jordan was going to be 149# because he did beat both Sasso and Hayes. I've always been of the opinion that Jordan 157# and Hayes 149# would've been the best lineup because Jordan is the bigger out of the two wrestlers.

Edited by meluvwrestling

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

pretty confident that Sasso could go 141.

maybe next year

125 - Malik

133 - Pletcher

141 - Sasso

149 - Ke-Shawn

then the next year

141- Kinner

149 - Sasso

all speculation on my part but seems feasible. 

What about Hayes to 141 and Sasso stay at 149?

17 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

he's not a 157.

why would he need to start trying to descend for 41 now?

certs don't go back to prior season.

I don't think he said "now"  but "sooner rather than later"  It looks to be a big cut if he couldn't certify there this year meaning that he would need to start getting himself in position to be there much earlier into next season. At least that's the way I took it and see it. 

yeah - i'm not sayin he IS a 41 or if that's the plan in any way.

just saying (eyeball test) i think it's possible.

also i don't care one iota what he certed at this year. he wasn't going in the lineup. 

so in saying he 'couldn't cert at 41 this year' you're making an assumption.

in related news - i'm pretty sure Jacori is going 57 next year. seemed to be the way they all (jacori and staff) were leaning when i talked to them at midlands. 

JB used didn't and I used the wrong word "couldn't" - I should have also said didn't. Redshirts sometimes wrestle at a more comfortable weight anyway, although I would not know if that is Sasso's case. Whatever the case, he has looked very good- tOSU has some young guns coming up. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

JB used didn't and I used the wrong word "couldn't" - I should have also said didn't. Redshirts sometimes wrestle at a more comfortable weight anyway, although I would not know if that is Sasso's case. Whatever the case, he has looked very good- tOSU has some young guns coming up. 

Case in point - Iowa's McDonough wrestled 133 his redshirt year.

Seriously, what do the certs actually mean, it’s more administrative than actual. They just write in what they want. Pantaleo got certed and descended down to 149 pretty quickly don’t ya think? 

10 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

yeah - i'm not sayin he IS a 41 or if that's the plan in any way.

just saying (eyeball test) i think it's possible.

also i don't care one iota what he certed at this year. he wasn't going in the lineup. 

so in saying he 'couldn't cert at 41 this year' you're making an assumption.

in related news - i'm pretty sure Jacori is going 57 next year. seemed to be the way they all (jacori and staff) were leaning when i talked to them at midlands. 

Jacori at 157 is interesting 

McDonough wrestled at 133 during his RS year, but certified at 125. I know the certs don’t carry, but SS needs his initial certification to be significantly lower than it was this year. To do that, he’d need to start dropping his weight well before we get near initial certification date in October of 2019.

5 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

McDonough wrestled at 133 during his RS year, but certified at 125. I know the certs don’t carry, but SS needs his initial certification to be significantly lower than it was this year. To do that, he’d need to start dropping his weight well before we get near initial certification date in October of 2019.

I can remember an Ohio State 141 that had a lot of success after dropping down from 149 his freshman year. He would start the school year around 160, take a couple of months to get acclimated, and then was money in March. That same team had a 149 that started a little bigger and did pretty well. The 157 that was weighing in at 153-154 in March had the talent to be a multi time All-American at 141 or 149 and the 133 could probably say the same. Sammy should probably talk to the coaches about what is best for him and best for the team as they may have some experience. Haven't seen Sasso since the begining of the year but his body reminds me more of the 141 and the 157 than that teams 149. The worst case scenario has wrestle off sorting out who starts where. With all the support staff at Ohio State, he will have a plan to make the descent as healthy as possible while producing and progressing.

2 hours ago, unbiased said:

I'll take Sasso against everyone at 149 but Ashnault. He's pretty good.

prob Kolodzik as well, but those matches could possibly go either way. and surprisingly i'm only seeing 1 PA guy in the top 25 in Maruca unless i'm missing someone.