Sign in to follow this  
OBXWrestler

30 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Hard to count 133 wins from last year, as it's clear 125 is a huge cut and affecting his wrestling.  The recent OT win over wrestlestat #93 Punke of Mizzou is the big hold up for me.   I don't see any Lizak or Pletcher wins, are those high school or freestyle?

Then again, one big close win may be a wrestlestat error - it says he beat #115 Guiterrez of Kent State 3-2 at South Beach Individual but then it says he teched him at the same tourney.  Is the 3-2 win a complete error or was that narrow win over someone better at South Beach individual?

Arujau last year at 133 beat Phillippi 11-5 , who this year has beaten Pletcher and Lizak.

Arujau's first 125 match this year was a 17-7 major over Schwarm.  It was pretty clear that making 125 affected him not at all, as he wrestled strong the entire match (getting a late takedown for the major).  Against Punke, he gave up two penalty points, rode him the entire third period for an RT point, and got the TD in SV for the win.  No sign of any cut affecting his wrestling there.

Trackwrestling has Arujau in two different brackets against Guitierrez, but the Cornell web site shows Arujau with an 8-3 victory on the first day (not 3-2).  They had individual matches to make up for ND not being able to make the first day.  I'd go with Cornell's results.

Thanks for the update, that changes the nature of his results.  The 3-2 over Guiterrez is the one that gave me major reservations about his ability to be active and offensive at 125, if that didn't happen then some of what I said goes by the wayside.

Were the penalty points for hands to the face or stalling against Punke?   If stalling from bottom then probably goes back to what people were saying about him being bad on bottom.

7 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Thanks for the update, that changes the nature of his results.  The 3-2 over Guiterrez is the one that gave me major reservations about his ability to be active and offensive at 125, if that didn't happen then some of what I said goes by the wayside.

Were the penalty points for hands to the face or stalling against Punke?   If stalling from bottom then probably goes back to what people were saying about him being bad on bottom.

Although Track was pretty inconsistent with their scoring (I didn't see the matches), they have one point awarded in neutral in the first period (assumed to be a hands-to-the-face penalty), and the following sequence in the third
with Arujau on top:  Caution (1:30), Caution (1:30), Stalling (1:18), Penalty 1 (0:07).  In the second period, Arujau escaped in :05.  Still not seeing any bottom issues.  Whoever said something about his performance in losses wasn't able to point to any such folkstyle losses that showed such inability on bottom  (I know of only three folkstyle losses he's had since 8th grade, although there may be some tourney losses I couldn't find).

On 1/1/2019 at 12:22 AM, 1032004 said:

1. Lee

2. Rivera

3. Glory

4. Mueller

5. Picc

6. Bresser

7. Moisey

8. Vito

Moisey over Vito? Ehhhhhhh

Also, I'd put Picc at the 4, Vito at 5, Mueller at 7, Moisey at 8.

Thanks again kleher - I incorrectly read it as he was ridden out in the 3rd.  Would have expected Vito to try to win on his feet in the 3rd instead of going rideout, that shows some serious confidence in his top skills. 

So I've basically been wrong about all of Vito's results and will shut up now.  

23 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Thanks again kleher - I incorrectly read it as he was ridden out in the 3rd.  Would have expected Vito to try to win on his feet in the 3rd instead of going rideout, that shows some serious confidence in his top skills. 

So I've basically been wrong about all of Vito's results and will shut up now.  

:-)  We'll know more on 2/9 (Princeton at Cornell).

(I just re-watched the match against Schwarm, and damn! Vito is skinny.  Didn't stop him from doing serious mat returns and a double leg TD, though, so he must be strong "enough".  Of course, someone on a Lehigh forum said that Yianni was "weak as a kitten" early on...)