TBar1977

The Southern Scuffle Thread

Finals Predictions:

125: Piccinninininininini.  Controlled decision I think.

133:  Fix.  Hmmm... Lot of people like Gomez because of their HS match.  Personally... Fix knows he's on-par with Gilman, who is World Level Elilte.  Fix is World Level Elite.  Fix has confidence overflowing from his lion-like mane.  Fix by a LOT.

141:  Lee.  Lee takes the frosh to school.

149:  Gfeller.  The Finesilvers are getting better, collectively, each passing week.  Still... Gfeller brings it home in a decision.

157:  Nolf.  I personally don't want this to happen, unless Pipher demands it.

165:  Vincenzo.  Marstellar is "there".  But not "there" enough to beat 'Cenzo.  

174:  Hall... in a squeaker over Smith (because Hall keeps it too close for comfort, whereas, he should be destroying Worlds or something)

184:  Rasheed.  I think Bolen is "game", but can't overcome Rasheed's length.  Could be yet another Cradle.

197: Nickal.  WBF.  Nickal looks even more dominant at 197 than at 184. 

HWT:  Cassar by a blast double.  Super close match. Proves that Cassar should be in the top 2-3, but barely.  White's strength is going to match, or surpass, Cassar's.  It'll come down to exactly what Gable used to beat him... athleticism.  

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

RBY stayed in an upper body tie too long and Gomez chucked him to his back. 

I'm not a Penn State fan but that loss makes me think more of RBY than the two victories he had yesterday. Yeah he made a mistake but he was kicking his ass until that point. I think he's got to be a favorite to AA. Of course that and a quarter doesn't get you a goddamn thing anymore!

2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'm not a Penn State fan but that loss makes me think more of RBY than the two victories he had yesterday. Yeah he made a mistake but he was kicking his ass until that point. I think he's got to be a favorite to AA. Of course that and a quarter doesn't get you a goddamn thing anymore!

You are spot on, ConnorsDad. RBY looked like something was weird yesterday. Today he looked pretty much exactly like what he looked like all year, and I would think most of us, unless you really knew Gomez' game well, at 8-2 probably thought RBY was going to win this one easily. RBY will learn, get stronger, and stay out of that position in the future, and maybe then his quickness will win that match. 

9 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Finals Predictions:

125: Piccinninininininini.  Controlled decision I think.

133:  Fix.  Hmmm... Lot of people like Gomez because of their HS match.  Personally... Fix knows he's on-par with Gilman, who is World Level Elilte.  Fix is World Level Elite.  Fix has confidence overflowing from his lion-like mane.  Fix by a LOT.

141:  Lee.  Lee takes the frosh to school.

149:  Gfeller.  The Finesilvers are getting better, collectively, each passing week.  Still... Gfeller brings it home in a decision.

157:  Nolf.  I personally don't want this to happen, unless Pipher demands it.

165:  Vincenzo.  Marstellar is "there".  But not "there" enough to beat 'Cenzo.  

174:  Hall... in a squeaker over Smith (because Hall keeps it too close for comfort, whereas, he should be destroying Worlds or something)

184:  Rasheed.  I think Bolen is "game", but can't overcome Rasheed's length.  Could be yet another Cradle.

197: Nickal.  WBF.  Nickal looks even more dominant at 197 than at 184. 

HWT:  Cassar by a blast double.  Super close match. Proves that Cassar should be in the top 2-3, but barely.  White's strength is going to match, or surpass, Cassar's.  It'll come down to exactly what Gable used to beat him... athleticism.  

I have the same winners. The guy that worries me is White. Not worried about Cassar at all, but White seems to have an uncanny ability to use leverage to his advantage. I still take Cassar just on pure athleticism. 

I guess Chance has a Chance. He's won a lot of matches against not many L's the last 3 years, but his one "ugly" loss (not counting getting pinned by Wick) was to I Mar 10-1. Guessing PSU staff has a plan. 

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I have the same winners. The guy that worries me is White. Not worried about Cassar at all, but White seems to have an uncanny ability to use leverage to his advantage. I still take Cassar just on pure athleticism. 

I guess Chance has a Chance. He's won a lot of matches against not many L's the last 3 years, but his one "ugly" loss (not counting getting pinned by Wick) was to I Mar 10-1. Guessing PSU staff has a plan. 

Cenzo needs to worry about those with length evidently.  Griffith gave him a match for sure.  That makes me think about Wick this year.  I also think Marinelli is a goer, and can keep it "there" with Cenzo.  I think Chance is not in this top 3... but... could easily be proven wrong this evening. 

19 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You are spot on, ConnorsDad. RBY looked like something was weird yesterday. Today he looked pretty much exactly like what he looked like all year, and I would think most of us, unless you really knew Gomez' game well, at 8-2 probably thought RBY was going to win this one easily. RBY will learn, get stronger, and stay out of that position in the future, and maybe then his quickness will win that match. 

I think RBY will absolutely learn from this.  I think RBY can beat Gomez.  However, I also think Gomez can do a lot of things and that he and RBY are going to develop into some sort of rivalry. 

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

I think RBY will absolutely learn from this.  I think RBY can beat Gomez.  However, I also think Gomez can do a lot of things and that he and RBY are going to develop into some sort of rivalry. 

I think RBY has all the skills and talent however is a little lacking in the strength department hence why he appears to struggle from bottom. He needs to rely on his athleticism and speed while avoiding big tie ups with the stronger guys.

19 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

15-20 years ago we saw a trend where high school teams were going to dual tournaments over individual tournaments. Maybe this is a carry over from that trend..dual tournaments are easier to run and follow and less hectic to participate in.

South Beach is not a dual tournament just teams wrestling 4 duals. It will be really great when or if they convert it

to a single elimination bracket dual tournament. The teams that loose will complete 4 duals by arranging matches after they drop out of

the tournament.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I think RBY has all the skills and talent however is a little lacking in the strength department hence why he appears to struggle from bottom. He needs to rely on his athleticism and speed while avoiding big tie ups with the stronger guys.

I was gonna say the same thing... but I didn't... 

Just now, mlbruem said:

South Beach is not a dual tournament just teams wrestling 4 duals. It will be really great when or if they convert it

to a single elimination bracket dual tournament. The teams that loose will complete 4 duals by arranging matches after they drop out of

the tournament.

I didnt mean bracketed dual meet tournamnets. I ment round Robin's where teams wrestle 5 duals in a day.

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

I was gonna say the same thing... but I didn't... 

Not uncommon for a true freshman. If PSU had 133 locked down and the Teasdale situation sorted out he probably would/could have redshirted. That said I think he has a good shot at AA.

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I didnt mean bracketed dual meet tournamnets. I ment round Robin's where teams wrestle 5 duals in a day.

No! do not want that - It needs to be a single elimination tournament that is seeded per coaches ranking of the teams.

This will make it intense and made for TV.

55 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Gfeller is looking a lot better than Boo ever has.

Boo is an AA with wins over Oliver, Thomsen, Leeth, Finesilver, and Bryce Meredith.  Gfeller at this point has won by lots of points against lots of mid ranked guys.  Gfeller may prove to be better but margin of victory is a terrible way to judge wrestlers (especially margin of victory against average and above average guys).  

11 minutes ago, mlbruem said:

No! do not want that - It needs to be a single elimination tournament that is seeded per coaches ranking of the teams.

Ok agai not what I was saying. I was saying that 15-20 years ago team duals (where you would wrestle 5 duals in 1 day) became popular at the high school level. They typically are not considered true tournaments and are similar to the South Beach Duals where teams get together and wrestle multiple duals in a single day.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

36 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If Chance can work in 3 shoe tie timeouts, 4 blood timeouts, maybe break the snap on his headgear to generate another two timeouts, then rip his singlet so they need to call in a seamstress then I'd say loss by regular decision, else MD or if ref calls as should perhaps DQ via stall calls.  Thought we got rid of the lung timeouts a long time ago.  :(

2 hours ago, Perry said:

Joseph "only" won 6-5 last night over Stanford, I would tend to doubt it will be a major and could see chance getting the w (though I don't predict it)

Joseph and Hall will be close but I think Hall wins by 2 or 3.

That kid from Stanford (Shane Griffith) is a horse from Bergen Catholic HS in NJ.   If he decides to stay focused he'll be a tough out. 

• Three-time state champion and runner-up the other year.  Only underclassman to win Most Outstanding Wrestler at the state tournament
  • Super 32 champion
  • Fargo runner-up
  • DOC Buchanan champion 

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

gfeller, what a stupid name, has also pinned Lee. 

that's Gfeller there buddy and because it was at Scuffle and them Flo guys was call'n it, he PINFALLed lee!!

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

gfeller, what a stupid name, has also pinned Lee. 

So does anyone know the actual pronunciation, instead of some Flo or Track guys making it up as the go?

Is it:

1.) Gee-Fell-er

2.) guh'fell-er

3.) Fell-er (silent G)

4.) Other?

I keep hearing #1, but am perplexed that it's actually pronounced that way. 

14 minutes ago, mlbruem said:

You should go to ESPN and try to market this event. See what they say. 

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

So does anyone know the actual pronunciation, instead of some Flo or Track guys making it up as the go?

Is it:

1.) Gee-Fell-er

2.) guh'fell-er

3.) Fell-er (silent G)

4.) Other?

I keep hearing #1, but am perplexed that it's actually pronounced that way. 

Maybe its GoodFella. 

Joe Pesci style.