Sign in to follow this  
closer617

Will we see another 4x undefeated NCAA Champion

So many things can go wrong or awry: injury, illness, a bad match-up, poor referee-ing, an off-day, etc.  

And it only has to go wrong once.

On the other hand, guys now wrestle a lot fewer matches than when Sanderson competed.  What was it?  159-0.  That's almost 40 matches per year.

Edited by dmm53

5 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Will anyone win the Olympics while still enrolled in college? Win a world title?

Again?

Does Greco count?

Yep, Paul Jenn beat Cael in a match that did not count on his College record. Just as redshirt matches for every other wrestler don't count - as long as the redshirt was not pulled during that season.

Talked with Danny Gable when Cael was in the third year of his quest. Gable said it well - we wait and see, because illness, injury, refereeing, whatever - most anything can happen. Hahn tried the slowdown/stalling game and came close. After the third Title we kept hearing "let him go 197 and the big boys will beat his butt" - so Cael did so and kept winning. Against a number of Big Boys who went up to avoid him as well as those who were naturally in that weight class. He kept winning. Maybe he didn't quite deserve the Outstanding wrestler award at NCAA's that year? Some say so as a couple of other winners were more impressive overall. But, Cael took his fourth title, going 159-0. Quite a ride. The OW award - a career award or whatever - he deserved it.

We watched and rooted for the guy. Still root for him and now Penn State, only because Sanderson is the Coach. He is putting up Gable numbers and it is good to see.

Just wish he had not retired from Freestyle so soon. Freestyle - where he won Olympic Gold basically wrestling folkstyle. Freestyle - where refereeing was pretty bad and at times almost openly anti-American against him. He took second at Worlds and won Olympic Gold. The Olympic Gold his goal - as shown by the 5th grade paper his mother showed before the Olympics where he wrote "I want to be an Olympic Champion in Wrestling". Well, he made it and deserved it. Now, if anything he is turning out to be a better coach than he was a wrestler. Good for him, Good for Penn State - which had last won a title in 1953.

So yes, Paul Jenn won against him while Cael was a Redshirt wrestler. Jenn was a good guy and we lost him way too soon in an auto accident, in which he was a passenger.

Cael Sanderson deserves every accolade he has earned. Just as John Smith, Bruce Baumgartner, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder and all the other great wrestlers we watch and root for. So many great wrestlers, so many great people.

Of course it will happen again. But it’s very possible the best guy won’t do it because there’s the luck of the draw when it comes to competition. As great a champion as Cael was, I don’t think he has the toughest competition. Think of David Taylor. He could have avoided getting stuck in the finals his freshman year but in my view there’s no way he could have avoided losing to Dake at least once. Taylor happened to have a future 4x national champ and dominant world champ move into his weight class. Cael did have a future world silver medalist and a future Olympian in his weight class, but not nearly the same level. 

Another thing is that with fewer D1 programs and more concentration of talent at the top means fewer outstanding wrestlers in a given weight class making it easier for top talent to avoid one another. This makes it even easier to see another 4x undefeated wrestler. 

I do not recall, but can someone tell me what type of hype Sanderson had before he went to IA St?  Was he the top recruit his senior year?  In other words, was he as blue chip as Taylor, Ruth, Stieber, Lee, Fix, etc? 

Putting the cart way before the horse, someone like Karchla strikes me as the type of person that could have an undefeated run.  Comes out of relative obscurity and smashes some really good wrestlers.  Then you find out his incredible Russian pedigree. 

24 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

I do not recall, but can someone tell me what type of hype Sanderson had before he went to IA St?  Was he the top recruit his senior year?  In other words, was he as blue chip as Taylor, Ruth, Stieber, Lee, Fix, etc? 

Putting the cart way before the horse, someone like Karchla strikes me as the type of person that could have an undefeated run.  Comes out of relative obscurity and smashes some really good wrestlers.  Then you find out his incredible Russian pedigree. 

Intermat has him in the top 30 HS wrestlers between 1995 and 2005, but not the top 20

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/179/20-best-high-school-wrestlers-over-the-past-20-years

28 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

In 1997 He was ranked number 1 in the country at 171 and was first team Asics Tiger All American Team. Off the top of my head from memory Wrestler of the year that year was Kenny Cox 119. Some other first team selections were Mike Zadick (145?), and TJ Hill (112) 

I had the poster on my wall like 20 years ago.. I'll have to see if I still have it somewhere.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

13 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Cael was a top recruit coming in. Joe Heskett would be the guy you would have bet on at the time if you were asked as he has beaten Cael at Reno in HS and was also a top recruit. Both at Iowa State with Bobby Douglas, the paranoid mystic coach at the helm. Cael was from Utah and as such was a highly ranked wrestler, But - Utah had not produced and NCAA champion before him. (one reason former BYU coach Fred Davis did not recruit hard in Utah - Davis an NCAA champion from Oklahoma State)

We are lucky Cael was at Iowa State as he could have ended up at BYU in Utah - his father had applied for the Head Coach job there but did not get it. Instead the inspired leadership of prophets, seers and revelators hired Alan Albright. Like Steve Sanderson - also a former BYU wrestler. If Steve Sanderson had been head Coach at BYU we most likely would have seen the Sanderson boys there and I doubt Cael would have four Titles. Worse, the program would have been cut while he was there - the event that put Aaron Holker from BYU to Iowa State where he won and NCAA title along with Sanderson and Heskett in 2002.

Sanderson was a top recruit, no doubt about it.

12 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Cael was a top recruit coming in. Joe Heskett would be the guy you would have bet on at the time if you were asked as he has beaten Cael at Reno in HS and was also a top recruit. Both at Iowa State with Bobby Douglas, the paranoid mystic coach at the helm. Cael was from Utah and as such was a highly ranked wrestler, But - Utah had not produced and NCAA champion before him. (one reason former BYU coach Fred Davis did not recruit hard in Utah - Davis an NCAA champion from Oklahoma State)

We are lucky Cael was at Iowa State as he could have ended up at BYU in Utah - his father had applied for the Head Coach job there but did not get it. Instead the inspired leadership of prophets, seers and revelators hired Alan Albright. Like Steve Sanderson - also a former BYU wrestler. If Steve Sanderson had been head Coach at BYU we most likely would have seen the Sanderson boys there and I doubt Cael would have four Titles. Worse, the program would have been cut while he was there - the event that put Aaron Holker from BYU to Iowa State where he won and NCAA title along with Sanderson and Heskett in 2002.

Sanderson was a top recruit, no doubt about it.

Great post.  According to the below linked article, Douglas' 97-98 recruiting class was ranked # 1 in the nation and:

"The headliners in Iowa State's recruiting class are Joe Heskett of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio; Cael Sanderson of Heber, Utah, and Jesse West of Iowa City High. All were top-ranked nationally. Also on board are second-ranked Carlos Blanco of San Bernardino, Calif., and third-ranked Jimmy Rodgers of Oakland Riverside."

https://wcfcourier.com/future-will-wait-for-isu-wrestlers/article_e77c78b3-1e50-5f89-9737-2164fadc80d5.html

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Wrestling USA had Cael on its 1997 Dream Team, along with a bunch of guys whose names don't ring a bell.

http://www.wrestlingusa.com/high-school/ewExternalFiles/1997 High School All-Americans1.pdf

This was the list I was talking about a few posts up..

Names from the Dream Team I remember..

Mike Khan was a 2x PA 103lbs state champ. Went to Lock Haven

Jason Gabrielson when to DeMatha in MD was a national prep champ i believe

Everyone knows Mike Zadick

Jamarr Billman went to PSU then transferred to Lock Haven

Joe Heskett ISU

Everyone knows Cael Sanderson

Kenny Cox and TJ Hill are missing from this list but should be on it.

Cox was wrestler of the year this season and TJ Hill went on the AA, 4th at 125 in 2001 i think?

12 hours ago, headshuck said:

I think there will be several. For example, Nolf was close and probably more dominant at a tougher weight than Cael.

I wouldn't sell the weight classes that Cael won short, amongst others your guy Eggum was no joke