Sign in to follow this  
closer617

Will we see another 4x undefeated NCAA Champion

One thing to keep in mind is his HS weight progression.

119, 135, 145, 171

He learned to wrestle as a light/middle weight before that big spurt. He lost to a NJ kid at Fargo (Corey Posey in greco soph/jr year) so wasn't unbeatable.

Edited by gimpeltf

Just now, gimpeltf said:

One thing to keep in mind is his HS weight progression.

119, 135, 145, 171

He learned to wrestle as a light/middle weight before that big spurt. He lost to a NJ kid at Fargo (I think Corey Posey in greco soph/jr year) so wasn't unbeatable.

I believe he had 3 HS losses.

Let's be honest and say that we may never see an undefeated 4X National Champion that does not take a redshirt.  What we will see is an undefeated 4X National Champion but that wrestler will more than likely have to redshirt their true freshmen season.  Redshirting the first year in college takes so much pressure off the wrestler in the classroom, socially and athletically.  This allows the student athlete to settle in and adjust to being away from home while learning how to elevate their wrestling skills.  I will say that being a boarding student for two or three years while in high school seems to speed up the adjustment process with regards to academics and being in a new environment.  

Edited by Bryan

21 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Let's be honest and say that we may never see an undefeated 4X National Champion that does not take a redshirt.  What we will see is an undefeated 4X National Champion but that wrestler will more than likely have to redshirt their true freshmen season.  Redshirting the first year in college takes so much pressure off the wrestler in the classroom, socially and athletically.  This allows the student athlete to settle in and adjust to being away from home while learning how to elevate their wrestling skills.  I will say that being a boarding student for two or three years while in high school seems to speed up the adjustment process with regards to academics and being in a new environment.  

Bryan interesting with your last statement (and I agree on the advantages that a boarding school education can provide in terms of college prep) that all of our 4 timers thus far have been public school grads. I think in the future we will see more 4 timers in general (kids are coming in more ready to roll from day 1) and I think some of those will eventually be Blair or other prep grads.  

to original question....will we see another undefeated 4 timer? I think so....given this great sport survives long enough.

36 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

and Vertus Jones, Brad Vering, Andy Hrovat, Rob Rohn, etc. 

Ironically, Rohn is listed as "merely" an honorable mention AA on that list posted above. Lots of prospects were listed higher than Rob, but he ended up the better wrestler than almost all of them. 

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Ironically, Rohn is listed as "merely" an honorable mention AA on that list posted above. Lots of prospects were listed higher than Rob, but he ended up the better wrestler than almost all of them. 

yeah I really wasn't referencing the HS accolades, more the college success of the guys Cael had in his brackets and in most cases directly wrestled those years (and beat handily for the most part). And a lot of those guys went on to make world teams and some placed at world level.

but yeah Rohn had a great college career and topped it off with one of the more iconic matches/finishes in the history of the sport. 

Guys we are missing the fact that in 157 out of those 159 matches Cael was not in danger of losing. Only twice could a takedown have beat him. 6-5 his freshman year to Vertus Jones and 4-3 his sophomore year to Hahn. And honestly the Jones match is the only one he was in danger of losing He crushes Vertus in the rematch and Hahn kept avoiding him. To the best of my knowledge no other match was close. As of now it is the greatest accomplishment in US wrestling history. In my opinion:-)  Nickal and Nolf are close in greatness but a few loses make a hugh amount of difference. I was just looking at the 4 time finalist they have there now wrestling and or coaching. I never though Cael would pass Gable but he is already half way there and his teams keep getting better!!!!

Edited by PRyan2012

2 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Guys we are missing the fact that in 157 out of those 159 matches Cael was not in danger of losing. Only twice could a takedown have beat him. 6-5 his freshman year to Vertus Jones and 4-3 his sophomore year to Hahn. And honestly the Jones match is the only one he was in danger of losing He crushes Vertus in the rematch and Hahn kept avoiding him. To the best of my knowledge no other match was close. As of now it is the greatest accomplishment in US wrestling history. In my opinion:-)  Nickal and Nolf are close in greatness but a few loses make a hugh amount of difference. I was just looking at the 4 time finalist they have there now wrestling and or coaching. I never though Cael would pass Gable but he is already half way there and his teams keep getting better!!!!

On this I'll go yes, but College only.

Overall I would put John Smith with 6 in a row on the world stage on top. Baumgartner's total career is there in the top five. Gable is near the top - mainly for how he did it and the inspiration he gave to our whole program as a wrestler as well as a coach. Jordan Burroughs is up there as is Mark Schultz.

But for College I'll call it Cael without reservation.

12 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Yep, Paul Jenn beat Cael in a match that did not count on his College record. Just as redshirt matches for every other wrestler don't count - as long as the redshirt was not pulled during that season.

Talked with Danny Gable when Cael was in the third year of his quest. Gable said it well - we wait and see, because illness, injury, refereeing, whatever - most anything can happen. Hahn tried the slowdown/stalling game and came close. After the third Title we kept hearing "let him go 197 and the big boys will beat his butt" - so Cael did so and kept winning. Against a number of Big Boys who went up to avoid him as well as those who were naturally in that weight class. He kept winning. Maybe he didn't quite deserve the Outstanding wrestler award at NCAA's that year? Some say so as a couple of other winners were more impressive overall. But, Cael took his fourth title, going 159-0. Quite a ride. The OW award - a career award or whatever - he deserved it.

We watched and rooted for the guy. Still root for him and now Penn State, only because Sanderson is the Coach. He is putting up Gable numbers and it is good to see.

Just wish he had not retired from Freestyle so soon. Freestyle - where he won Olympic Gold basically wrestling folkstyle. Freestyle - where refereeing was pretty bad and at times almost openly anti-American against him. He took second at Worlds and won Olympic Gold. The Olympic Gold his goal - as shown by the 5th grade paper his mother showed before the Olympics where he wrote "I want to be an Olympic Champion in Wrestling". Well, he made it and deserved it. Now, if anything he is turning out to be a better coach than he was a wrestler. Good for him, Good for Penn State - which had last won a title in 1953.

So yes, Paul Jenn won against him while Cael was a Redshirt wrestler. Jenn was a good guy and we lost him way too soon in an auto accident, in which he was a passenger.

Cael Sanderson deserves every accolade he has earned. Just as John Smith, Bruce Baumgartner, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder and all the other great wrestlers we watch and root for. So many great wrestlers, so many great people.

He may have ended up the HC of Iowa if he kept competing.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, NJDan said:

What about Steveson or Fix. They both have a chance.

Yes NJDan. So far they are on track. Fix is in the toughest weight class. I think PSU’s Cessar could knock off Stevenson.  Time will tell. 

Out of anyone currently "active", I would suggest Gable Steveson has the best chance.  HOWEVER... there are a lot of studs coming through and up the pike.  AND... he was tossed in freestyle, and could get tossed again.  Snyder got tossed by Gadson, and then got tossed AGAIN by Sadulaev not too many months ago.  Gable is going to win... a LOT.  But... with the other young heavyweights coming up, they'll have at least something to say about it.  Keep in mind that Kerkvliet kept is VERY close last year, and he too will continue to improve and grow into the weight class.  Also, I wouldn't discount Cohlton Shultz quite yet.  I'd like to see them match up again, with some more size and experience under both of their belts. 

Fix is in a meatgrinder.  Taking a loss, i think, is inevitable.  It'll be shocking, the "I enjoyed the Fix era" thread will arise... but whatever... Fix is absolutely a 4x AA, and most likely, multi-time champ.

Agreed that Steveson has the best chance. I would say if you look at where Cael was on New Years Day of his redshsirt freshman year versus where Gable is now, Gable has better odds of winning 4 titles and going undefeated.

I think he beats Cassar easily, as he did White. Dhesi is the only one who has decent chance against his this year.

10 hours ago, treep2000 said:

... Fix is absolutely a 4x AA, and most likely, multi-time champ.

I’m a big Fix fan, think he is a special talent and would not be shocked if he won a stacked weight class this year. That said nothing is absolute. See Dustin Schlatter, Troy Letters, etc.