Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Ness is amazing

correct me if I am wrong, but that was NOT a cement mixer that he his was it?!

using northampton/lehigh valley terminology he did a flying cement job from his butt. a mixer (konkrete special) is what rob rohn did to lambrecht and a straight cement job is johnny thompson's cow catcher.

In the aspect of comparing Ness to Mills and Lewis, I would agree only with the potion of being a pinner. He definately has a fun style to watch as did Mills and Lewis... but both of the aforementioned were "just a little bit different".

I never said he was like them beyond being a pinner and having a pinner's attitude (willing to mix it up to get the pin). He is not afraid to give up points to put you on your back. Mills used to give up TDs to bring the match to the mat, and Lewis was known to hit some crazy moves that I'm sure contributed to Gable's male pattern baldness from the feet. There is nobody like that in college today other than Ness. That's what makes him so dangerous and scary. Q might be like that at exhibitions, but he is not pulling the kind of stunt Ness did in the finals unless he is down big and has short time.

I am not a Minny fan, but I am a fan of the Ness brothers! Jayson pulling it out against Dennis in the finals with a few seconds left.

Dylan reminds me a little bit of Wade Schalles. Lewboo told that once he saw how Schalles wrestled he took to it like a duck does to water. I look forward to Ness the next two years. Wonder if he'll fill out enough to be 165 next year and face Taylor. Would that be a wonderful matchup.

my thoughts exactly...his ability to counter with an elevator and pin people is very reminiscent of Wade Schalles.

I am not a Minny fan, but I am a fan of the Ness brothers! Jayson pulling it out against Dennis in the finals with a few seconds left.

Dylan reminds me a little bit of Wade Schalles. Lewboo told that once he saw how Schalles wrestled he took to it like a duck does to water. I look forward to Ness the next two years. Wonder if he'll fill out enough to be 165 next year and face Taylor. Would that be a wonderful matchup.

Not imo.

See, this is why these threads always get turned into PSU fluff tommygun.

Ness while great and exciting to watch got pretty much worked over by Molinaro. Taylor is just another level of offense. Ness would always have the outside chance of pinning him, but we would most likely see Ness lose by at least a Mdec.

Go ahead and flame away.

The point is not that Ness would likely have a high percentage shot at beating Taylor. Taylor would probably major him, maybe tech him given some of Ness's tendencies while he's behind (when wrestling well, he will put himself in danger to try to pin you until the bitter end no matter the score). The point is, while getting majored or teched--you choose which--Ness would have a legitimate chance of pulling some move you've likely never seen before on a D1 wrestling mat and turning Taylor into a pretzel before sticking him. Either scenario would be a lot of fun to watch. That is the point.

Not imo.

See, this is why these threads always get turned into PSU fluff tommygun.

Ness while great and exciting to watch got pretty much worked over by Molinaro. Taylor is just another level of offense. Ness would always have the outside chance of pinning him, but we would most likely see Ness lose by at least a Mdec.

Go ahead and flame away.

What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China? The senior version of Molinaro beat the freshman version of Ness...big deal. Also, David Taylor is 2 weights higher than Ness...

After this post, I am no longer taking the bait from you PSU fluffers...

::back to a thread about a great 149 lb wreslter in the year 2013::

I wasn't the one bringing up the Ness vs Taylor match up. I think it's equally absurd, just for different reasons than you. You want to be fair, then flame the ones that start the crap, not just the PSU fans that defend their guys.

Edit:

Why is Ness not listed here:

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline/re ... ports.aspx

I use this to look up matches and history... is there a better site?

For those of you who are too young to remember, Wade Schalles normally at 158 went up to 177 to wrestle and beat Floyd Hitchcock, who was the OW at the NCAA tournament, i believe the same year. I could see Ness moving up from 157 next year to wrestle Taylor at 165,in a dual.

I can't believe he can hit those elevator series moves against top competition!? It's like the wrestlers don't fear it or think their hips are to good to get caught up in it. It's not hard to prepare for and stop that stuff, it just amazes me how many competitors fall for it.

Don't get me wrong, he is one of my favorite wrestlers, but last year Molinaro had no problems stopping it.

I also can't believe Ness got caught in the same move again by the MSU kid (we call it a twister). He wrestled him twice this year and got hit with the same move and put to his back twice, unbelievable.

Ness sure keeps you on the edge of your seat!

It took all that Molinaro had to stop the mixer in the finals. Although it was just one series, I can guarantee he was worried about it.

After the Illinois match I almost gave up on him, but the B1G finals reaffirmed that he is a confident and dangerous wrestler.

The cement mixer is becoming a lost art, even in PA where it was brought to fame. Although it is low percentage defense, I still think it should be taught to become comfortable in the front headlock/elevator position. If executed correctly, whether successful or not, it still creates some offensive scramble opportunities.

Chase Nelson from Nebraska-Kearney used the cement mixer to pin his semi final opponent in 16 seconds at the NCAA D 2 tourney this past weekend. The match was over so quick everybody involved, both wrestlers and both refs were shocked. Sweet move.

I wasn't the one bringing up the Ness vs Taylor match up. I think it's equally absurd, just for different reasons than you. You want to be fair, then flame the ones that start the crap, not just the PSU fans that defend their guys.

Edit:

He's in there, but their site isn't very user friendly, IMO. Link: http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline/results/colscorebook/WrestlerInfo.aspx?SchoolYear=2013&ID=40684

Earl's site is super user friendly, but sometimes it takes a little longer to get all the matches updated, particularly at tourney time. Link: http://d1collegewrestling.net/Results_2013.html

Edit:

He's in there, but their site isn't very user friendly, IMO. Link: http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline/results/colscorebook/WrestlerInfo.aspx?SchoolYear=2013&ID=40684

Earl's site is super user friendly, but sometimes it takes a little longer to get all the matches updated, particularly at tourney time. Link: http://d1collegewrestling.net/Results_2013.html

Yep. I figured out why he wasn't listed for me. He doesn't have enough wins. 14-4 didn't show up in the top 50.

Was Ness injured during the English match?

Yes, he was either injured or sick until the Michigan State/Wisconsin dual. He was taking the mat for the team, basically.

I didn't ask the question right I guess. Did he wrestle against English? It says on 1/1/13 he won three matches.

Then he lost three matches Dec, For, Mfor .... appears he got injured in one of them, just don't know which.

Ness's move is called a flying cement job in the East. Normally hit from standing. He almost got it last year against Molinaro. This year he initiated it from his back, but "cheated" a little by getting up to his feet before he really sat under and put the pressure on it to get it.

A cement job is simply the bar arm and chancery (underhook and the chin, or cowcatcher for you westerners). A cement mixer is a rolling cement job, also known as a "concrete special" in Pa district 11.

Rob Rohn of Lehigh hit exactly the same move as Ness in the 2002 semifinals against Jesmin Smith of Iowa. Same result too.

Jeremy Hunter of Penn State threw it against Abas in his first trip to the finals in 99 (I think). He was down 2-1 when he attempted it from standing to counter the leg attack that Abas had. Abas held on and came out with the takedown, 2 back points, and a 6-1 advantage. That put the match out of reach.

Oliver came from a high school district (Pa D 11) where these moves are standard. Doesn't mean he couldn't get stuck, but that is not the way to bet.

In Kansas we call it a High Flyer. My sons HS coach teaches this move. My son uses it with great success but we were always critized by other coaches for the junk as they called it. They said it would never work at the college level! So glad a D1 wrestler is doing the same move!! My son pinned a kid at the NAIA national tournament by means of a high flyer so sweet to watch. Still gives me a heartattack when he goes to his back!

There is no one I enjoy watching wrestle more than Ness. And I am a diehard Iowa fan.

-------

I'm with you on that. Ness is fun to watch. Him and Q are two guys you never count out, no matter the score.

The comparison to Molinaro isn't all that meaningful, given Molinaro was a sr and Ness a fr. It's true Molinaro beat Ness by TF before last year's ncaa. But Ness also lost to Grajales and Parks last year but later in year beat both. Ness lost to Molinaro in the finals by a much closer 4-1, I think Ness was able to counter Molinaro getting his leg ride in, a big part of his punishing style.

Ness adapts, and has just gotten better and better.

I can see a Ness v Oliver final if they are in opposite brackets, and Ness as champ wouldn't surprise me a bit.

correct me if I am wrong, but that was NOT a cement mixer that he his was it?!

I'm not sure about the origin of the move, but in District 11 where it gained the most popularity, they'll refer to Ness' move as a cement job, and Rohn's finals hold as a special. As the move shifted west to their District 3 neighbor, we have become accustomed to referring to both as a mixer. The more advanced kids will know the difference and use "special." A lot easier to shout out as a coach than "flying cement job", even though our kid is usually on his back before the words even exit our mouth.

Ness's move is called a flying cement job in the East. Normally hit from standing. He almost got it last year against Molinaro. This year he initiated it from his back, but "cheated" a little by getting up to his feet before he really sat under and put the pressure on it to get it.

A cement job is simply the bar arm and chancery (underhook and the chin, or cowcatcher for you westerners). A cement mixer is a rolling cement job, also known as a "concrete special" in Pa district 11.

Rob Rohn of Lehigh hit exactly the same move as Ness in the 2002 semifinals against Jesmin Smith of Iowa. Same result too.

Jeremy Hunter of Penn State threw it against Abas in his first trip to the finals in 99 (I think). He was down 2-1 when he attempted it from standing to counter the leg attack that Abas had. Abas held on and came out with the takedown, 2 back points, and a 6-1 advantage. That put the match out of reach.

Oliver came from a high school district (Pa D 11) where these moves are standard. Doesn't mean he couldn't get stuck, but that is not the way to bet.

I thought the conventional cement mixer with a underhook with the left arm, front headlock with the right, the wrestler peforming the "mixer" rolls across their own back, to the underhook side. NESS does the opposite, he does not roll across he back, instead he takes it to his right, the front headlock side. He takes it the OPPOSITE way Rohn hit it, Rohn rolled across his back (I assume he did the same in his win over Jesseman Smith?)

After this post, I am no longer taking the bait from you PSU fluffers...

Oh my goodness! I just found out what PSU fluffer means.

On a side note about Chase Nelson. Last summer I walked out of my house near the Sunken Gardens and saw him running 100 yard wind sprints uphill in 100 degree heat. I watched for a while until I became too hot and tired. He kept running.