Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Leading Hodge Contenders

There are just 5 guys who have a 100% bonus rate still. 

mueller

Gross

Nick Lee

Nolf

Rasheed

Nickal

others could win, but if anyone has 100% bonus this season I imagine they get it with few exceptions

I’d say realistically Nolf, Nickal and Gross are the only ones that have a shot at dominating their weight going forward. Gross would need to come back shortly or he will get removed. Rasheed theoretically could get it  

Nolf and Nickal are in 1 and 2 with huge gap to 3rd. I am going with Nickal. It started with last years final for me with him! And he moved up a weight. And he has just pinned his way to the finals at the scuffle!!! He will have to beat Moore three times though. 

Edited by PRyan2012

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If either of Nolf or Nickal win it in undefeated fashion, then count the FALLS and domination stats and decide. Maybe a split vote this year. 

I doubt that.  There are plenty of criteria to break a tie.

P.S. Wait, you said vote.  How many voters are there?

Edited by headshuck

Gross hasn't wrestled a match and doesn't belong on this list IMO. Nolf and Nickal are the front runners, if both continue running the gauntlet I don't know who you give it to. Both have the same (assumed) NCAA placings at 2-1-1-1 with incredibly high bonus %. Has there ever been an occurence of two athletes in D1 getting the award in the same year? I know we have seen lower division athletes "share" in the award before but don't think it's been considered for two D1 guys (especially not on the same team)

1 minute ago, Perry said:

Gross hasn't wrestled a match and doesn't belong on this list IMO. Nolf and Nickal are the front runners, if both continue running the gauntlet I don't know who you give it to. Both have the same (assumed) NCAA placings at 2-1-1-1 with incredibly high bonus %. Has there ever been an occurence of two athletes in D1 getting the award in the same year? I know we have seen lower division athletes "share" in the award before but don't think it's been considered for two D1 guys (especially not on the same team)

Gross is 1-0. He has wrestled. He would need to get back and dominate completely, so I agree he isn’t truly in contention. If he did that though he would have 2-1-1 with 1 loss in 2 years when he went up a weight.

highly doubt Bo and Nolf split the hodge. The exception might be if they both have 100% bonus or something like that. Super unlikely for that to occur. 

16 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Quality of opponents. Nickal vs Nolf? I think that is where the committee decides this. Because by the look of things they could bonus through March then how do you decide?  

Gotta pin 'em to win 'em.   (Ness had almost 2x the pins as Varner)  :)

Nolf has been much more dominant over his entire career.  In fact, what he did last year with the bum knee was beyond impressive.  Many take for granted his winning last season.  Most AA caliber guys wouldn't have even made the podium let alone still pretty much dominated their way to a title.  Nickal may be more flashy and vocal, but Nolf has literally been a destroyer of worlds and i think 157 consistently had deeper and stronger talent than 174/184, with Martin only being a true challenge 2 of the 3 years due to being undersized his first year at 184.

If this year ends up close, I would think Nolf's total career was more impressive and that is a criteria.

7 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Gotta pin 'em to win 'em.   (Ness had almost 2x the pins as Varner)  :)

O man. I let that alone for about  two years. The committee can do what they want-bottom line. In my opinion they screwed the pouch with awarding it to Metcalf and Ness.... I'm done:-) But back to this year Nickal and Nolf are on a path to be basically tied in everything. That is where the opponents matter I think.  

3 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

O man. I let that alone for about  two years. The committee can do what they want-bottom line. In my opinion they screwed the pouch with awarding it to Metcalf and Ness.... I'm done:-) But back to this year Nickal and Nolf are on a path to be basically tied in everything. That is where the opponents matter I think.  

Career bonus and falls should matter quite a bit too and Nolf is ahead by a solid amount.

43 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Agreed - and I'd just like to add that meticulously placing one's ankle straps back on the mat shows both great sportsmanship and citizenship.

I for one am concerned. This is a clear sign of OCD.

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Career bonus and falls should matter quite a bit too and Nolf is ahead by a solid amount.

Agree. A lot of wrestling left this year though. Both of them will be 2-1-1-1 and major bonus throughout their careers. Going to come down to these last few months. Bo looks at the moment to just be showing off in how he pins people. Nolf as well. Same thing happened with Nolf and Zain. Hopefully Nolf doesn't take 2nd again to a teammate!