Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Surprise NCAA finalists - 2019

Every year there are surprise finalists. Who do you think pulls it off this year? I’d like to exclude guys who aren’t ranked #2 but wouldn’t be a surprise. For example at 133, Fix isn’t a surprise pick. 

I think Pat Glory, Justin Oliver, Brock Mauller, Nino Bonnacorsi, and a couple of 197 pounders have a legitimate shot. 

So many at 149 - the two( or 3, kinda) that jump out at me are Oliver, and Gfeller/Lewallen. I think Gfeller could be a finalist, and if the heresay of Lewallen owning the spot via matches in the room are true, then I'm inclined to believe he would have similar or better results than G. 

174 - Joe Smith

133 - Tariq Wilson

285 - guys like HIlger and White could sneak in obviously. 

30 minutes ago, pish6969 said:

If we’re talking guys ranked outside top 2 to be finalists..

Shak
RBY
Cassar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBY can count but no - I was trying not to include guys who most agree aren’t finalist contenders. I used Fix as an example - ranked 7th or so, but nobody would be surprised if he made the finals. 

36 minutes ago, iGranby said:

So many at 149 - the two( or 3, kinda) that jump out at me are Oliver, and Gfeller/Lewallen. I think Gfeller could be a finalist, and if the heresay of Lewallen owning the spot via matches in the room are true, then I'm inclined to believe he would have similar or better results than G. 

174 - Joe Smith

133 - Tariq Wilson

285 - guys like HIlger and White could sneak in obviously. 

I feel the same way about 197. Moore is solid but isn’t a lock to be a finalist based on last year’s performance and after Brucki, nobody else stands out. Seems like a dozen guys could place 4th without any surprise. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I feel the same way about 197. Moore is solid but isn’t a lock to be a finalist based on last year’s performance and after Brucki, nobody else stands out. Seems like a dozen guys could place 4th without any surprise. 

Yeah, 197 is interesting. I'm a Buckeye homer to preface...

IMO, Moore is about as solid a #2 as you can get based on this season, and on past results. Like you said though, based on those same past results theres a sort of shakiness any time you mention him making the NCAA finals. I cant imagine who would/will knock him off, but at the same time it's almost like youre asking all season "who IS going to be the one to beat him?" Im speaking about everyone outside of Nickal of course. 

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

Yeah, 197 is interesting. I'm a Buckeye homer to preface...

IMO, Moore is about as solid a #2 as you can get based on this season, and on past results. Like you said though, based on those same past results theres a sort of shakiness any time you mention him making the NCAA finals. I cant imagine who would/will knock him off, but at the same time it's almost like youre asking all season "who IS going to be the one to beat him?" Im speaking about everyone outside of Nickal of course. 

I'm a huge Kollin Moore fan but he is gonna get a real test from Brucki who is much improved and looking absolutely beastly so far this season...(i'm aware Kollin majored him @NCAAs last season)

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Another guy that has a shot at 149 is Austin O’Conner. He’s 19-2 on the year with his only unavenged loss to Micah Jordan. He also has matches with Kolodzik and Oliver (probably twice) coming up. 

For sure. Austin keeps improving too. 

Nick Lee?  I’d be surprised if he was a finalist but the way PSU has been developing these kids. His bottom was a certainly a weak point, but he’s great on his feet, has endless gas tank. If his bottom is much improved this March to last March....

125- RayVon Foley

133- Luke Pletcher

141- Kanon Storr

149- Brock Mauller

157- Larry Early

165- Logan Massa

174- Jojo Smith

184- Ryan Preisch

197- Rocco Caywood

285- Demetrius Thomas (Have to add Mason Parris after he just crushed Dhesi)

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, squeek said:

125- RayVon Foley
133- Luke Pletcher
141- Kanon Storr
149- Brock Mauller
157- Larry Early
165- Logan Massa
174- Jojo Smith
184- Ryan Preisch
197- Rocco Caywood
285- Demetrius Thomas