Sign in to follow this  
MisterHand

National Championship plot just thickened

Whoa indeed!

I get the change---duals are more exciting for the audience than the individual championships. Everyone's used to March Madness and now wrestling will be able to offer a recognizable format to the mass audience. One final point--looks like ESPN has offered wrestling significant money in exchange for this move. Money talks---and wrestling needs the green.

Our sport will change. It will still be wrestling but teams will supersede individuals. That's a huge change.

So there will be a "Selection Sunday" like there is for NCAA Basketball? that could bring some more press.. waiting to see who is selected.. and who is left out.

Every sport needs a shakeup now & then.. this will be interesting.. and hopefully revenue generating.

People have been talking about this for years now, and how could help the sport in many different ways. Whether it's the seismic shift that will help collegiate wrestling break out of its funk remains to be seen, but I'm glad that the NCAA is at least trying it out and doing something.

^^^If Div I wrestling changes do happen, the major one likely would amount to the NCAA recognizing the winning team in the National Duals event as the NCAA TEAM CHAMPION for Div I wrestling. We would still have the March NCAA tournament, with 8 places per weight, and team scoring. We could have a situation where one team is the NCAA team (duals) champ and another is the top team at the NCAA tournament. We've been discussing this possibility of the NCAA officially recognizing the national duals winner as the team champ for years, but now it might be a bit closer to happening.

I like this a lot because I think overall it will help participation levels. Kids, teenagers and young men like to WIN. They want to be successful, as does anyone. The sport of wrestling can be very rewarding within those who achieve, but there are far more participants than rewards given in the sport.

You may not be NCAA champion or All American material, yet you could be the guy in the line up that helps your team to win a very important match at the duals. The one thing that football and basketball definitely have over wrestling is that all can feel contribution to the success of the team, where in wrestilng it's more clear cut who did and who didn't.

I love the individual element of wrestling. I love the traditional NCAA tournament and I will continue to. However, I think that this movement of moving wrestling to incorporate more of a team mentality is very beneficial for the sport.

This is a NoBrainer-- its overall VERY GOOD for college wrestling, imo, here's WHY:

...regular season duals now more important, no more mailing it in.

...this will help attendance.

...TACTICS and matchups and decisions by head coaches can now determine the NCAA Team champ---- coaches decisions will come under heavy scrutiny, much more so than in indiv tourn.

...TWO major NCAA events on ESPN.

...now there will be DRAMA in a 10-2 match, can winner get the pin or can the loser avoid the pin & the major??-- this is good. The LOSER in some cases becomes a highlite match, can he just give up 3 ????

...The winner DOESNT JUST STALL out his easy win, he goes for the pin. A guy DOESNT JUST STALL on top to get his riding time.

Drawbacks:

...one drawback, guys nursing injuries on top teams not gonna be able to rest them now prior to conference & NCAA tourn, its a looooong stretch.

NCAA indiv tourn still will be sellout, people love the drama of determining whose # 1 in each wt, with all the upsets and exciting matches. Your college team may be mediocre but u can still have a high placer or 2 or 3. ...s/BobP

Yes, the NCAA Individual Championship will be held to determine National Champions and All-Americans but the NCAA Team Title will come from the dual competition.

How great would it be for the 2013 Individual Championship to be in Des Moines and the Team Championship to be in Philly? The 2014 individual in Tulsa and the Team in Pittsburgh? Splinting the NCAA Championships between different regions of the country will only help the sport.

The Individual Championships will still have the bulk of college programs represented and fans will still follow their athletes to watch the best of the best compete but now there will be a true head to head match-up of teams to determine the team championship.

it's a great idea as long as the admin's don't screw it up. Separating the Dual and Individual championships by as many weeks as possible is essential. Ideally a dual season followed by the Individual season.

Whoa indeed!

I get the change---duals are more exciting for the audience than the individual championships. Everyone's used to March Madness and now wrestling will be able to offer a recognizable format to the mass audience. One final point--looks like ESPN has offered wrestling significant money in exchange for this move. Money talks---and wrestling needs the green.

Our sport will change. It will still be wrestling but teams will supersede individuals. That's a huge change.

You really think WRESTLING will get ANY money out of this? No way, only the NCAA will get more money out of this which is the only reason it's being considered.

Whoa indeed!

You really think WRESTLING will get ANY money out of this? No way, only the NCAA will get more money out of this which is the only reason it's being considered.

That is not entirely true. The NCAA puts on great events. You can expect the finals of the dual championship to be done well! Also, teams will not need to foot the bill for travel because it is an NCAA event. This means that when under funded programs win conferences like the Western Region (WWC), EWL, and Southern Conference they will pick up additional (exempted) competition while not straining their budget. This is a net gain for the sport and would allow the NWCA to reallocate funds away from the duals and invest the money into other things to help the sport.

Is the suggestion that the NCAA will pay facility rental, travel, lodging, meals, and participant awards for both the dual championship as well as the individual championship? I will believe that when I see it.

Seems like the individual tournament sellout streak might be over.

I will try to answer a few of the comments and questions on this forum in regards to this topic.

1. The NCAA would conduct two seperate championships. An individual and team championship. They would pay for the travel of the 8 teams that make it to the championship round and all expenses on putting together a NCAA Championships. The current model has the first round being at one of the 8 seeded teams. The host schools in the first round would be responsible for hosting and would receive any revenue generated from the event.

2. The individual championships will be conducted just as they are now but there will be no official team score. This does not preclude from the NWCA crowning a team individual champion based on team scores. The BCS champion is not a NCAA Champion.

3. The NWCA will not be involved in the operation of the event. It will have the full staffing of the NCAA Championship group that oversees wrestling.

4. The earliest this could happen would be in 2014.

5. It will need to pass the Championship Cabinet on a vote in September.

6. ESPN is very excited about this event.

6. There are still some other details that would still need to be worked out if passed.

THanks,

PT

Is the suggestion that the NCAA will pay facility rental, travel, lodging, meals, and participant awards for both the dual championship as well as the individual championship? I will believe that when I see it.

Seems like the individual tournament sellout streak might be over.

If ESPN wants to put a few duals on TV it is a win for wrestling. I would guess that this will take place right before college basketball conference tournies. If that is the case, ESPN probably figure they will get a large wrestling viewership like they get for the NCAAs at a time when interest in college basketball is low. Most late season basketball games hold little interest since the game will do nothing more than shift your seed one or two places in the conference tournament and the market is saturated with college basketball games due to all of the conference sports networks. If ESPN wants it then the NCAA will jump in on it. Remember that wrestling makes the NCAA money which is something football doesn't even do. (Note: the only championships where the NCAA turns a profit are: Men's Ice Hockey, Men's Lacrosse, Men's Basketball, Wrestling, and Baseball. All other NCAA championships lose money. Championship profit accounts for 11 percent of all NCAA revenue.)

Pinnum: The NCAA's also have another source of revenue--Penn State to the tune of 60 mil. What happens to that money?

As far as the individual championships go...I'm all for it. But do not keep team score. The team champion will be the dual champion. Why have a team score for the individual tourney? It will just make things confusing. I think that the only sensible solution is to eliminate all team scoring from the individual championships.

The Penn State fine does not go to the NCAA. The fine goes to a PSU controlled endowment to be used exclusivley to support organizations that support victims of sexual abuse. The only financial support the NCAA will gain from the penalties levied is the reimburement for the cost of investigation. Though the reimbursement will be less than that encured by Central Florida since their investigation was greater and they want to challenege the findings.

Seems to me there is enough room for two National Team Champs:

[*:2d5idkai]NCAA Wrestling National Dual Meet Team Champion
    [*:2d5idkai]NCAA Wrestling Team Champion

There may be a better way to wordsmith the second one. Get the word "individual" or "tournament" in their somehow. Some English major can find a concise and eloquent way to express it.

A lot of states do it this way in HS.

From a historical perspective, previous national team champs would be grouped with #2 and new records can be established for #1.

If this helps the sport financially and gives it more exposure, I like it. From a fan's perspective, it should provide additional excitement/entertainment.