WillieBoy

Yojo & Gene Davis in the OSU room

Yes, an older one and probably better in the off season. But, a friend was visiting and we were talking about Yojo Uetake at Oklahoma State in the 1960's. Gene Davis was there and won a weight up.

Anyone from those days have any insight as to how they did together in the room? Maybe how much higher in weight things went before Yojo started having problems going against guys?

Myron Roderick said of Uetake "I never saw him tested on the mat". Another wrestler I know was the one who was severely worked over after Uetake got a stalling call against him in a match. All he will say about it is "he hurt me bad". No other comments - not even after a few decades have passed.

So, anyone know just how it was in the practice room with Yojo?

Would have been interesting to see him on the mat with Dan Gable.

16 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Yes, an older one and probably better in the off season. But, a friend was visiting and we were talking about Yojo Uetake at Oklahoma State in the 1960's. Gene Davis was there and won a weight up.

Anyone from those days have any insight as to how they did together in the room? Maybe how much higher in weight things went before Yojo started having problems going against guys?

Myron Roderick said of Uetake "I never saw him tested on the mat". Another wrestler I know was the one who was severely worked over after Uetake got a stalling call against him in a match. All he will say about it is "he hurt me bad". No other comments - not even after a few decades have passed.

So, anyone know just how it was in the practice room with Yojo?

Would have been interesting to see him on the mat with Dan Gable.

Watch the Flo video with believe it was Munoz talking about Pat (pretty sure this was already 4x Pat) taking it to his little brother Mark in the room and what John did about it (and remember Mark was 177, Pat 158 and John 134 in college). I've always thought Uetake was on a different level than John so ...

18 hours ago, ionel said:

Watch the Flo video with believe it was Munoz talking about Pat (pretty sure this was already 4x Pat) taking it to his little brother Mark in the room and what John did about it (and remember Mark was 177, Pat 158 and John 134 in college). I've always thought Uetake was on a different level than John so ...

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6218761-mark-munoz-how-deep-does-the-rabbit-hole-go

thanks for the tip...good stuff.  I'm sure Leroy had done the same thing to John back in the day..

36 minutes ago, gromit said:

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6218761-mark-munoz-how-deep-does-the-rabbit-hole-go

thanks for the tip...good stuff.  I'm sure Leroy had done the same thing to John back in the day..

Well sure maybe John's Fr/So year when Lee Roy was training for international, but remember John won Olympics after So year (took a rs year) and beat Lewis (Lee Roy's nemesis to make team), so not sure older bro still taking it to him Jr/Sr year of college.  The above Munoz discussion was couples year after John out of competition and when Pat out of college after winning 4x and probably still training.  

19 hours ago, ionel said:

I listened to a Gable interview from a few years ago and Gable brought up Uetake.  Uetake happened to be at the OTC in Colorado (right before Gable's freshman year at ISU)as well as Gable.  Gable said that he was never able to take Uetake down and Uetake would let him have one leg to begin with.

Jerry Brisco said Myron Roderick would wrestle the Wrestlers on the team and the only ones he could not handle were Jack Brisco And Uetake, Sidenote as Athletic Director he would go to the Wrestling Practice and help out, one Wrestler who was NCAA Champ the previous year, interrupted him and Myron Roderick said TAKE ME DOWN,  And Roderick got the best of the NCAA Champion and Myron  Roderick took the NCAA Champion down, Roderick was in his mid 50's with a huge beer gut, amazing.

I was there in 76 and 77.  He Mr Roderick came in the room once in a while.  So did the Kellers, a couple fun guys if you were a Poke fan back in the early 70's.  I don't think those guys and Fuji will ever really be appreciated by this generation.  Guys like Pat Milkovich and Steve Barrett were hammers back in the 8 minute era.  I could see either of them being right in the thick of things today. Same with Sheets,  Schalles, Dziedzic, Taylor, Kenny, Mark, Dave, Kyle, Jordan, John, Pat, Dake and Taylor.   I Put Bo and Nolf in that group. Although I'm not sure either of their games transfers to freestyle, they are the dominant wrestlers with World class freestylers in the same NCAA Tournaments... Kudos to the top program in the country, your best products are insanely good.  Man, there have been so many great ones that I've gotten to see.  I watched Gable and Cael wrestle approximately 25 x between them.   These are special times in the NCAA Championships.  I like what John has going on in Stillwater.  If they can get the injury bug over with now, they could be pretty high on the podium.  They have AA's out at 141-149-165-197.  Doubt they all get back in the line-up.  Mr Fix is a team leader.  Everyone is tougher with him in an orange singlet.

Gene Davis has been on our AIA Wrestling staff for 50 years, we will ask him and get a response to the poster's original message.

Also Steve Barrett that is mentioned in the above post is part of our staff and spent 16 years living in Russia and 5 in Mongolia working with wrestlers there.

Great to see guys we love on our staff still talked about today.

I worked out with Steve in the OSU room many takedown sessions.  I weighed about 30 pounds more than him, so it was a good match, lol.  Man was fun, until you shook hands, then it was down hill pretty fast.  Wrestled at 42, but had the hips and wrists of a 67 pounder.  Tough as nails.  

19 hours ago, dougb said:

Jerry Brisco said Myron Roderick would wrestle the Wrestlers on the team and the only ones he could not handle were Jack Brisco And Uetake, Sidenote as Athletic Director he would go to the Wrestling Practice and help out, one Wrestler who was NCAA Champ the previous year, interrupted him and Myron Roderick said TAKE ME DOWN,  And Roderick got the best of the NCAA Champion and Myron  Roderick took the NCAA Champion down, Roderick was in his mid 50's with a huge beer gut, amazing.

Just remember that anecdote when you encounter mid-50's wrestlers with beer guts :D

Talked with Gene Davis and he said YoJo was the toughest guy he ever wrestled. Gene was bigger but YoJo was super quick so they were fairly close in wrestling. Gene also said he learned a lot from YoJo. Gene is one of the most humble people around. Was NCAA champ, Olympic Bronze, and 1995 USA Wrestling coach of the year. 

A story related to this topic:

Many years ago, I was able to watch our Olympic Greco team practice at a local university just prior to them leaving for the Olympic Games.

The U.S. wasn't very good at Greco back then and most of the team members didn't have a big background in the style. 

The team allowed some of the university's wrestlers work out with them during the few days they were there. One of the university's coaches was a late 40's guy, maybe 160lbs with a beer gut. He went live with the entire team except the guys under 150 or so and those in the upper two weight classes.

Bottom line: He absolutely dominated every one of them with technique. Headlocks, attacks off a Russian, bear hugs, ducks and arm throws - he did it all. He wasn't being a smart-ass while doing this, but it was clear that he was just better than all of them. 

The previous post about an older Miron with a beer gut handling the NCAA champ reminded me of this.

There's something to the concept of "Old Man Strength"