Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

The Rudis Podcast

Yeah I was pumped when Ben told everyone in the last Trow/Funky that he'd be doing a podcast with Rudis. I really enjoy it. Dernlan is great too, and offers a cool perspective. 

Side note - I would love to learn/hear more about Ben's role as Badger RTC head coach. I know this podcast is probably not the place for it, but with how many different hats Ben is wearing now Im really curious how it all works. 

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

This Podcast is Awesome. Askren isn't going to win over many Iowa fans with this one, but his take is awesome. 

I don't completely disagree with all of Ben's analysis, but I don't see him applying such a harsh criticism to everyone else. He assures everyone he is impartial, but how is a team like Iowa who won midlands by 60 pts soooo bad and poorly coached? How many teams has Askren been apart of that is better than this team? 1, maybe? For example, look at his analysis of Marianelli. The Bull didn't do much on bottom, but there is no discussion on just how good wick is on top, how the bull was able to get the only takedown, showed excellent shot defense, and was able to turn it around from a complete pummeling at nationals. The Bull beats the #2 guy in the country after getting smoked last year and Askren uses it as a clear example for Iowa's poor coaching. Come on now. 

Edited by russelscout

45 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Good podcast but they both get facts wrong constantly. Askren’s analysis is good, but they don’t do their research. They get records wrong, and credentials wrong constantly. FRL makes those kinds of mistakes rarely. 

I am far, far more interested in their overall perspective on the sport than whether or not they get the exact record of a particular wrestler correct. Not saying that is the only time they make a mistake either, just that they have been in the sport at a high level for a long time and they have a lot to offer. 

Agree with that TBar, while it would be nice if they didn't make some blunders but I like the contrast and perspective they offer compared to FRL.  They are more "big picture" guys with overall perspective than Pyles/Willie/Nomad knowing the score of every match and who beat who.   Both absolutely have their place.

Plus Ben's ability to say what's on his mind is fantastic at times.  The FRL guys keep it real but they are friends with just about everyone in college wrestling and have to hold back some things for fear of backlash.  Ben being an "outsider" to collegiate wrestling at this point is a plus for him.  Of course knowing Ben he'd still probably say it...

Love both podcasts

Dernlan's experience as a D1 head coach gives him some great insights.   The only criticism is that they rat hole down certain subjects or individual matches and they end up running out of time without hitting all of the topics they intended. 

28 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Dernlan's experience as a D1 head coach gives him some great insights.   The only criticism is that they rat hole down certain subjects or individual matches and they end up running out of time without hitting all of the topics they intended. 

Thats what I actually like about it. It feels more like an actual conversation about wrestling vs a "news update"

32 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

I am with BigTenFan, I like it when they go off script and take a little deeper dive into wrestling. 

I like the Flo podcast as well, but when they go off script it is almost always NOT about wrestling. It is about food, travel, who is friends with whom else  etc.

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

I am with BigTenFan, I like it when they go off script and take a little deeper dive into wrestling. 

I like the Flo podcast as well, but when they go off script it is almost always NOT about wrestling. It is about food, travel, who is friends with whom else  etc.

or just them telling how stupid each other is lol

But yea I love FRL as well.

Inside Trip is great too.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I am far, far more interested in their overall perspective on the sport than whether or not they get the exact record of a particular wrestler correct. Not saying that is the only time they make a mistake either, just that they have been in the sport at a high level for a long time and they have a lot to offer. 

I agree I just wish they would prep a bit more. I listen to every episode and enjoy it. They had the same issues with the previous podcast and I didn’t miss an episode of that either. Was just hoping the Rudis one would be slightly more professional. 

42 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Bloodround has decent but lacks a certain energy/enthusiasm.. not really sure what it is... 

Bloodround is good when they discuss wrestling. They spend way too much time on other topics. I don’t get it. I can’t imagine their fan base cares about the other stuff. It’s feels like half the podcast is non wrestling related. 

I listen to Inside Trip, FRL, Rudis, VT podcast, NC State, trackwrestling (really good for detailed ranking explanations) and most of Jason Bryant’s ones. I even sometimes listen to the Pennsylvania high school one, but I’m not from PA so I don’t always know who they are talking about. 

I just can’t get into Bloodround. I have tried but the ancillary stuff is so boring. 

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Bloodround is good when they discuss wrestling. They spend way too much time on other topics. I don’t get it. I can’t imagine their fan base cares about the other stuff. It’s feels like half the podcast is non wrestling related. 

I listen to Inside Trip, FRL, Rudis, VT podcast, NC State, trackwrestling (really good for detailed ranking explanations) and most of Jason Bryant’s ones. I even sometimes listen to the Pennsylvania high school one, but I’m not from PA so I don’t always know who they are talking about. 

I just can’t get into Bloodround. I have tried but the ancillary stuff is so boring. 

Yea I agree with you. I'll tune into bloodround after Ive listened to FRL and InsideTrip a few times and get bored of them. I usually end up skipping the first few minutes because thats when theyre talking about the non-sense stuff.

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

Agree but the rat holes are also when I feel like  I get some of the more interesting perspectives from Dernlan.

I agree I just wish they would prep a bit more. I listen to every episode and enjoy it. They had the same issues with the previous podcast and I didn’t miss an episode of that either. Was just hoping the Rudis one would be slightly more professional. 
To be fair, it is way more professional than the previous podcast. Much better sound, video (not that it adds anything), and much more regular.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Good podcast but they both get facts wrong constantly. Askren’s analysis is good, but they don’t do their research. They get records wrong, and credentials wrong constantly. FRL makes those kinds of mistakes rarely. 

Willie and Pyles spend 83% of their time talking about Penn State and Iowa so it’s easy for them to keep their facts straight.