Parris is only going to get better. He is 4 months in to focusing just on wrestling and is already an AA threat. I think by the end of the season he will be solidly top 8 and will be in R12 vs Haines or Wood. It will come down to whether he has the gas and size to compete with the good not great (10-15 ranked) heavyweights after a long tournament. I think he does it. 

Edited by Housebuye

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Is there a video of the match.  I'm not sold on Parris, but I'm also not doubting his pure athleticism.  I don't think he's sniffing Gable this year at all, but, an AA finish seems highly possible, based on what I've seen so far. 

OK that was impressive and certainly not all coming from the same attack.   Plus on the road, across the country, first match off redshirt, vs the #1 ranked guy in the country.  Wow...

Edited by Gantry

6 hours ago, Gantry said:

Someone on the PSU board mentioned that Parris goes for the same dump type attack constantly.  If you can stop it, you're in the match.  If you can't (which he said Dhesi couldn't) then you are in trouble. 

Probably unfair to Parris but often true freshman come in with a great single move and knock off guys you wouldn't expect them to.  Then as familiarity and scouting comes into play said move gets less and less effective.  Remains to be seen if this is the case with Parris but I sure know that HWT is going to be fun this year. 

Parris is an immensely strong, extremely powerful, ATHLETE. I mean in addition to three state wrestling titles he was also multiple time all state in football and in hurdles. HURDLES at his size. He weakness (for lack of better term) is his technique. Now, think about the fact of that kind of athlete, focusing solely on wrestling for the first time in his life, under the tutelage of Sean Bormet, with Adam Coon as his daily training partner. The sky is the limit. I’m going to go ahead and call at some point in the next four years he’s going to catch, and beat, Stevenson. Maybe not or all the marbles, but I think at some point he’ll get that good and get him. 

Edited by Lurker

Parris is not without a decent wrestling skill set. He has more than athleticism and some middle school moves in his tool box.  However, it doesn’t do him any favors that some of those technique he’s been successful with in the past do not have the same success rate against a 245+ pound mature man that’s college tested. 

Edited by MadMardigain

7 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Parris is not without a decent wrestling skill set. He has more than athleticism and some middle school moves in his tool box.  However, it doesn’t do him any favors that some of those technique he’s been successful with in the past do not have the same success rate against a 245+ pound mature man that’s college tested. 

He makes them work though. The first Stencel match is a great example. If he can catch you by surprise, he can bully you into a pin. I bet he hits at least one “middle school” move at NCAAs. 

Lurker, your assessment of Parris is spot on, except I think you don't give his wrestling technique enough credit. He is very solid fundamentally. In my opinion, his key area for improvement is setups and chain wrestling--very normal for freshman big guys. 

Another young stud similar to Parris in athleticism who will give him Parris he wants right out of the gate is tOSU commit Kerkvliet. I can't wait to see how their rivalry develops over the years. They both represent what heavyweight wrestling could be if more of the best big HS athletes in this country wrestled. 

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Lurker, your assessment of Parris is spot on, except I think you don't give his wrestling technique enough credit. He is very solid fundamentally. In my opinion, his key area for improvement is setups and chain wrestling--very normal for freshman big guys. 

Another young stud similar to Parris in athleticism who will give him Parris he wants right out of the gate is tOSU commit Kerkvliet. I can't wait to see how their rivalry develops over the years. They both represent what heavyweight wrestling could be if more of the best big HS athletes in this country wrestled. 

I hear you, and I wasn’t trying to say he doesn’t have the technique (that’s why I put the disclaimer of for lack of better term). What I was trying to get at was that technique is his biggest curve of improvement, and he’s under one of the best technical coaches in the country, so look at. I think from a technique standpoint he has the biggest room for improvement, and will, of all the young heavyweights coming up. He’s far superior in strength and athleticism. And there’s some athletic young heavyweights out there. 

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I hear you, and I wasn’t trying to say he doesn’t have the technique (that’s why I put the disclaimer of for lack of better term). What I was trying to get at was that technique is his biggest curve of improvement, and he’s under one of the best technical coaches in the country, so look at. I think from a technique standpoint he has the biggest room for improvement, and will, of all the young heavyweights coming up. He’s far superior in strength and athleticism. And there’s some athletic young heavyweights out there. 

Far superior in strength and athleticism to Steveson? Not quite. 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, Lurker said:

Parris is an immensely strong, extremely powerful, ATHLETE. I mean in addition to three state wrestling titles he was also multiple time all state in football and in hurdles. HURDLES at his size. He weakness (for lack of better term) is his technique. Now, think about the fact of that kind of athlete, focusing solely on wrestling for the first time in his life, under the tutelage of Sean Bormet, with Adam Coon as his daily training partner. The sky is the limit. I’m going to go ahead and call at some point in the next four years he’s going to catch, and beat, Stevenson. Maybe not or all the marbles, but I think at some point he’ll get that good and get him. 

I will say he never beats Stevenson.  

2 hours ago, Jacksguy said:

Far superior in strength and athleticism to Steveson? Not quite. 

With Stevenson, far may be a stretch. But superior in strength and athleticism, from what I’ve seen yes. But Not a better wrestler.