Very Happy Wrestler

Serious Question tho...

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Call him out then!  Who is this parasite you speak of?  As I am from the stoner state, I am interested.

He's a guy who attended OSU, claims wrestling creds he doesn't have, is currently in the DC area, has claimed he's trained great wrestlers in the past, and he has longterm problems with Vtech and Co(Cornell?).  Hmmmmmm......

Where's Ellery Queen when you need him?

6 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

He's a guy who attended OSU, claims wrestling creds he doesn't have, is currently in the DC area, has claimed he's trained great wrestlers in the past, and he has longterm problems with Vtech and Co(Cornell?).  Hmmmmmm......

Where's Ellery Queen when you need him?

That isn't what I said. Nor how I described him. But if you see anything from a guy named Roger Stewart, tread lightly or avoid completely. Wrestled for one year at ODU. Lots of issues with him and the program when he was a student, those issues have continued to the senior level. On FB calling many former ODU guys his former teammates when they were either out of college or not enrolled yet. There's much more to his deal than that. If anyone needs more info, PM/DM me. 

2 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:
1 minute ago, JasonBryant said:

That isn't what I said. Nor how I described him. But if you see anything from a guy named Roger Stewart, tread lightly or avoid completely. 

Was just assembling clues from multiple messages and making assumptions. Monk, I'm not.

Don't know any Roger Stewarts, but there is a Ricky Stewart who was a great wrestler for OSU back in the day.  I don't know him personally, he's a few years older than I am. Was a big fan of him though, he was an exciting guy who had a lot of high scoring matches.

Personally, I dont love announcers that are trying to "teach" you the sport while they are commentating.  I think most of us that watch a lot of matches, know what is going on.   Jake Herbert had a tendency to try and teach the audience when he has announced matches as well.  I prefer a color guy and a play by play guy, not an instructor. 

25 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Personally, I dont love announcers that are trying to "teach" you the sport while they are commentating.  I think most of us that watch a lot of matches, know what is going on.   Jake Herbert had a tendency to try and teach the audience when he has announced matches as well.  I prefer a color guy and a play by play guy, not an instructor. 

It's impossible not to like Jake Herbert. Most positive guy in the world. TOO positive :D

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Doesn't take a technical expert to call a match. It's great if the commentator actually knows what's happening, mind you, but a subject matter expert is not necessarily required. Look at Howard Cosell. Did Howard ever even participate in any sports? But a great commentator. Yeah a lot of people hated him, but so what?  I think the fact that you aren't a wrestling expert, per se, is a PLUS. You give valuable insight on the other aspects of wrestling besides just what happens on the mat. Human interest stuff, which can be more interesting than what happens on the mat (especially some of the HWT matches).

Technique guys get pretty snobby sometimes. I wrestled back in the old days. I don't even know the names of some of the stuff I see guys doing (even if I did them myself back in the day). The "Cement Mixer"? Yeah, pinned a few that way, but nobody called it the Cement Mixer back then...did we even have a name for it?  Sat on a guy's face while pinning him one time, but I defy any technique guy to give a name to that hold. What I'm attempting to explain, poorly, is there is a limit to the amount of technical discussion that needs to be carried on during a wrestling match. Dan Gable? Oh yeah, would like to hear his ideas on technique. John Smith? You bet. Mike Malinconico? Not so much. So although I may appreciate his commentary it's probably not based on his technical skills.

Agreed. I think his technique shtick gets old really fast. Especially while watching a match.  Comes across as a know-it-all, while many times being wrong.

I got tired of watching his technique videos a long time ago because he starts every video by screaming at you and then he doesn't show the move as its actually performed in the video. Most of the time the technique he shows isn't the technique the wrestler hit. 

I think the way he acts in his videos likely resonates well with young, active wrestlers. 

In my opinion (based on watching many of his videos), this guy probably knows more technique and is a better instructor than the vast majority of his critics on this forum. 

41 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

I think the way he acts in his videos likely resonates well with young, active wrestlers. 

In my opinion (based on watching many of his videos), this guy probably knows more technique and is a better instructor than the vast majority of his critics on this forum. 

Agreed. The kids love him which makes him more valuable to wrestling and its future than any of the old farts criticizing him.

I like his behind the dirt videos and it seems like he is pretty knowledgeable. However, I did have the thought like who is the guy trying to tell us how these elite wrestlers do all their moves? Not knocking the guy... he does a pretty good job, but I still wish Flo would still have the wrestlers or coaches that actively use the moves show them like they used to do with technique wave. There is a difference in breaking it down from a film vs feeling what it is like in competition. It’s probably not very cost effective for flo to do that though

Edited by Eagle26

21 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I like his behind the dirt videos and it seems like he is pretty knowledgeable. However, I did have the thought like who is the guy trying to tell us how these elite wrestlers do all their moves? Not knocking the guy... he does a pretty good job, but I still wish Flo would still have the wrestlers or coaches that actively use the moves show them like they used to. There is a difference in breaking it down from a film vs feeling what it is like in competition. It’s probably not very cost effective for flo to do that though

You mean have the wrestlers themselves teach their opposition how they do their go to maneuvers? Seriously why would anyone ever do that?

Mike Mal isnt just teaching kids how to be better wrestlers, hes teaching them how to break down moves they see as well as how to be coaches in the future.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You mean have the wrestlers themselves teach their opposition how they do their go to maneuvers? Seriously why would anyone ever do that?

Mike Mal isnt just teaching kids how to be better wrestlers, hes teaching them how to break down moves they see as well as how to be coaches in the future.

That's one of the best things about the sport though. I never saw a wrestler or a coach refuse to help a guy with technique, even guys from the other team on occasion. That shows true love of the sport, and not personal glory.That generosity means something to me. The best coach I ever had in HS was Richard DeMoss from Pawhuska, a rival team from our conference. We practiced with the Pawhuska team every year, usually a week of practicing together. Coach DeMoss was about my size, they had nobody else in my size, so I got to wrestle him. I learned more from that guy than any of my HS coaches. He pushed me on the mat, made me respect the sport and my own abilities as a wrestler. 

3 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Seriously? People do that all the time. What do you think they do at clinics lol? It doesn’t matter if their opponents know what their moves are. They have to know how to stop them. Plus elite wrestlers/coaches can all do what Mike Mal is doing and break down their opponents moves anyway.

So I guess to summarize.

He may or may not have attended the school for a brief period of time. He definitely rolled around in the room with the team, but wasn’t actually on the roster.

He’s good with the kids and is a nice guy.

Split opinions on whether or not he’s good at technique or at commentating.

I will say that he is becoming one of the more recognizable characters in wrestling with the amount of content that flo puts out him on. He might just be as polarizing as someone like Desanto.

Edited by Very Happy Wrestler

To summarize, you created an account just to cast doubt on someone and then you ignore relevant info and just assume other things to be true. Why don’t you create a name on Twitter - like you did here - and ask him - or email him. Quit being cryptic and grow a set and contact him directly.

5 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

To summarize, you created an account just to cast doubt on someone and then you ignore relevant info and just assume other things to be true. Why don’t you create a name on Twitter - like you did here - and ask him - or email him. Quit being cryptic and grow a set and contact him directly.

Clearly it was a legitamate question given the response. Seems like others wondered the same.

Obviously you’re friends with the guy so you’re coming to his defense. But let’s not stretch the truth and pretend people aren’t paying attention...

In general, the problem with using misleading or inaccurate information in a resume is that it can unfairly deprive someone else of an opportunity.

Edited by Katie

I know the guy. We're friendly, but he's not on my Christmas card list. We get along and he was on my show five years ago. I text him from time to time when he says something amusing on a broadcast - that is the extent of our relationship. 

Others might wonder the same. Others could also take that recommendation and ask. You decided to come up with a generic email address and generic username to cast doubt on someone when his information is quite freely available on Flo and on Twitter. If I had a question for someone about their background, you know what I do? I ask them. 

This pussyfooting around playing this little game is childish bunk. Like I said, grow a set and ask the guy. He's not one to hide or hold back. Let's not stretch the truth and pretend you don't have an axe to grind or some ulterior motive by creating an account solely to ask about Mike's background. It's cowardly. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Seriously? People do that all the time. What do you think they do at clinics lol? It doesn’t matter if their opponents know what their moves are. They have to know how to stop them. Plus elite wrestlers/coaches can all do what Mike Mal is doing and break down their opponents moves anyway.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

That's one of the best things about the sport though. I never saw a wrestler or a coach refuse to help a guy with technique, even guys from the other team on occasion. That shows true love of the sport, and not personal glory.That generosity means something to me. The best coach I ever had in HS was Richard DeMoss from Pawhuska, a rival team from our conference. We practiced with the Pawhuska team every year, usually a week of practicing together. Coach DeMoss was about my size, they had nobody else in my size, so I got to wrestle him. I learned more from that guy than any of my HS coaches. He pushed me on the mat, made me respect the sport and my own abilities as a wrestler. 

You guys think Jordan Burroughs was running clinics for Kyle Dake on all his technique? It's very different running clinics/coaching for kids. Also yes you need to learn how to stop the move right? The easiest way to learn how to stop a move is to first learn how it's done. Prevent the compenets of how it's done you too the move.

Being coached by the oppositions  coach is different from learning technique from your opponent. Also yes other coaches and elite athletes can break moves down, but none of them are making videos for kids to learn from. And what about the not so elite kids? Here's a direct source for those average wrestlers of average coach to learn and improve from an outside source thats more easily accessible.

Those of you that are criticizing Mike Mal imo are enemies of the sport growing and kids learning. These little technique sessions are a hell of a lot better than the techqniue sessions that John Smith, Tom Brands and David Taylor did over the years during the NCAA finals.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

15 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

Pretty sure he was a NJ Region Champ and I believe he placed high in the States around mid nineties (maybe 2nd)?  Also, I really can't believe that he would be on Flo, talking about the OK State Room and John Smith like he does, if he wasn't in that room.  I think the guy does a great job of breaking down technique, imo.

Pretty much this, although I haven’t seen the videos.

If he was talking about being on the team but really wasn’t, you’d think someone that knew maybe he wasn’t would call him out. And besides, is “wrestling for Oklahoma State” even a better credential than being an NJ runner-up?  Doubtful IMO.

Here are a couple 5-9 year old articles also stating he wrestled there: 

https://www.nj.com/ledger-dalessandro/index.ssf/2014/04/dalessandro_gerry_nisivoccia_lifer_teacher_wrestling_inspiration_wants_back_in_the_game.html

https://www1.gmnews.com/2010/01/06/fraley-always-trying-to-improve-on-mat/ (And looks like the kid this article is about ended up becoming a coach at the club that it looks like Mal founded).

28 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I know the guy. We're friendly, but he's not on my Christmas card list. We get along and he was on my show five years ago. I text him from time to time when he says something amusing on a broadcast - that is the extent of our relationship. 

Others might wonder the same. Others could also take that recommendation and ask. You decided to come up with a generic email address and generic username to cast doubt on someone when his information is quite freely available on Flo and on Twitter. If I had a question for someone about their background, you know what I do? I ask them. 

This *****footing around playing this little game is childish bunk. Like I said, grow a set and ask the guy. He's not one to hide or hold back. Let's not stretch the truth and pretend you don't have an axe to grind or some ulterior motive by creating an account solely to ask about Mike's background. It's cowardly. 

Cant you just text him for us and ask?