Very Happy Wrestler

Serious Question tho...

Don’t mean to put anyone’s reputation in questions, but...

I’ve heard now a few times on a few Flo streams and videos of him referring to his time wrestling at Okie State. I’ve tried my best to siff through the records to see if this is true and NOTHING.

Then maybe I thought to myself, “hey maybe I heard wrong or misinterpreted”.

But then I was able to find this.

C2158334-1255-40B2-BD7D-F369CE8D1164.jpeg.b0217419f90d91b283e07d440896f6f8.jpeg

The other giveaway is the technique breakdown but I’ll save that for another thread.

Did this dude actually wrestle there? Just want to make sure that there’s no fire when I’m smelling smoke!

I was skeptical of this guy as well.  When commentating he treats Christian Pyles like he's an idiot - finishes everything sentence with right or okay as if he's the ultimate authority.  I also can't find evidence he wrestled at Oklahoma State but it would've been the late 1990s...

Not saying he didn't wrestle at OSU at some time, but he was apparently wrestling somewhere called Midland College in '98-'99 (he graduated HS in '96).  The results below are from Univ. of Maryland archives.  ESO is the East Stroudsburg Open.

1998-99 Season Archive

Jeff Salvo (149) Overall record: 2-3

ESO L Eric Schmiesing (Hofstra) F3:58

ESO W Mike Malinconico (Midland College) Forfeit

ESO L Adam Brunner (Unattached) 7-6

PSO W Gabe Webster (Cornell) Med. Forfeit

PSO L John Mark Bentley (North Carolina) F5:45

Edited by KCMO2

Not sure the story but understand you don’t have to be a scholarship athlete with multiple varsity wins to say you wrestled for a school.  If you are in the room grinding on a daily basis with the team you wrestled at that school.  Even if he didn’t start there he could have easily come to the school later to finish up college while wrestling as a backup.  Either way if Smith and Co. is running practice you are picking up some good technique. 

Edited by MadMardigain

I'm glad folks are looking into some of the announcers (coaches, athletes, etc.) . It's good journalistic (and fan) practice.  It might be worthwhile knowing what some of the other FLO guys actually did as wrestlers.

Here is a NY Times piece that mentions Mike Mal (who seems generally likable, colorful, and very knowledgable about wrestling):

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/25wrestlernj.html

Though, one should try to did up more information on his wrestling career.

Pretty sure he was a NJ Region Champ and I believe he placed high in the States around mid nineties (maybe 2nd)?  Also, I really can't believe that he would be on Flo, talking about the OK State Room and John Smith like he does, if he wasn't in that room.  I think the guy does a great job of breaking down technique, imo.

Edited by pennsyrules

You don't have to have been a participant in a sport to be an excellent broadcaster or writer. Look at Howard Cosell, former media broadcaster who was excellent even if grating to some. He did his homework and learned both the sport and the business of broadcasting. He did find prejudice from a number as he was broadcasting sporting event without benefit of having been in the sport.

A lot more to being a professional broadcaster or writer than being a former jock. Read Cosell's book I NEVER PLAYED THE GAME and get some insight on it.

Remember Cosell calling out halftime highlights on Monday Night Football. Reason he did it was he could recognize every player instantly, on sight and his memory and preparation allowed him to call the plays and comment without hesitation. We see way too many announcers and commentators who think a resume of competition qualifies them to do commentary. Much better if they actually learn the business. Just as they had to prepare for competition they need to prepare to comment live, call an event and put together a good presentation.

28 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Pretty sure he was a NJ Region Champ and I believe he placed high in the States around mid nineties (maybe 2nd)?  Also, I really can't believe that he would be on Flo, talking about the OK State Room and John Smith like he does, if he wasn't in that room.  I think the guy does a great job of breaking down technique, imo.

Correct 2nd in States for Edison High School.

9 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Assuming not a troll here- Mike Malinconico now with Flo

Thanks.  I couldn't have been the only one with that question.  Although I didn't recognize him, I am impressed with his technique breakdowns on flo.

I really like Mike, and from a broadcast perspective (not talking about Mike), you absolutely don’t need to be a technique snob and bark out every single move you think you know to be able to call a good match. Most of the time, the way I learned something has a different name or set-up from the way you learned it

I have that book. I never started for my HS team. I was basically “on the team” and that’s about it. Credentials don’t make you a qualified broadcaster - I’m not qualified enough to show and teach a broad range of techniques (when you actively compete for about 2 years, the things I was actually good at are few on the mat), so I’m not going to try to impress with my library of known moves.

23 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I really like Mike, and from a broadcast perspective (not talking about Mike), you absolutely don’t need to be a technique snob and bark out every single move you think you know to be able to call a good match. Most of the time, the way I learned something has a different name or set-up from the way you learned it

I have that book. I never started for my HS team. I was basically “on the team” and that’s about it. Credentials don’t make you a qualified broadcaster - I’m not qualified enough to show and teach a broad range of techniques (when you actively compete for about 2 years, the things I was actually good at are few on the mat), so I’m not going to try to impress with my library of known moves.

Doesn't take a technical expert to call a match. It's great if the commentator actually knows what's happening, mind you, but a subject matter expert is not necessarily required. Look at Howard Cosell. Did Howard ever even participate in any sports? But a great commentator. Yeah a lot of people hated him, but so what?  I think the fact that you aren't a wrestling expert, per se, is a PLUS. You give valuable insight on the other aspects of wrestling besides just what happens on the mat. Human interest stuff, which can be more interesting than what happens on the mat (especially some of the HWT matches).

Technique guys get pretty snobby sometimes. I wrestled back in the old days. I don't even know the names of some of the stuff I see guys doing (even if I did them myself back in the day). The "Cement Mixer"? Yeah, pinned a few that way, but nobody called it the Cement Mixer back then...did we even have a name for it?  Sat on a guy's face while pinning him one time, but I defy any technique guy to give a name to that hold. What I'm attempting to explain, poorly, is there is a limit to the amount of technical discussion that needs to be carried on during a wrestling match. Dan Gable? Oh yeah, would like to hear his ideas on technique. John Smith? You bet. Mike Malinconico? Not so much. So although I may appreciate his commentary it's probably not based on his technical skills.

22 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I don’t think the OP was saying that if he didn’t wrestle at Oklahoma State, then he can’t be qualified broadcaster. Rather, they seemed to question whether he wrestled there or not

It would be nearly impossible to disprove if somebody lied about it. I walked on at OSU in the 80's and Coach Chesbro didn't even bother learning my name, he just called me "Cleveland", after the school where I wrestled in HS. OSU pretty much had an open doors policy with regards to walk-ons: if you had the balls to walk through the doors Coach Chesbro would watch you wrestle some guys in tryouts. If you could protect yourself, he'd let you workout with the team. Heck, I walked on and participated in ranking matches, so it wasn't just workouts. And that's not even considering guys just passing through the area. I'm sure Chesbro would've welcomed anybody in the room who could bring something to the party, even if the guy wasn't going to be in town for long. I wouldn't be shocked if Mike Malinconico rolled around in OSU's room at one time or another.

Mike said he went there and based on his interactions with John and how Mike and I have known each other for several years, to me, his story checks out and he doesn’t hide the fact he left.

Now, there is a section of this community that embellishes accomplishments, lies about people they’ve trained and people who namedrop and lie incessantly. Those are the people I will go after. Mike isn’t lying. I will absolutely call out parasites and liars here and on social media - there’s a guy in the DC area who has been an issue with some folks in VA and CO for over 15 years. I’d worry more about parasites lying than I would about a guy like Mike who is genuine and doing what he can to improve and promote the sport.

2 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

You don't have to have been a participant in a sport to be an excellent broadcaster or writer. Look at Howard Cosell, former media broadcaster who was excellent even if grating to some. He did his homework and learned both the sport and the business of broadcasting. He did find prejudice from a number as he was broadcasting sporting event without benefit of having been in the sport.

A lot more to being a professional broadcaster or writer than being a former jock. Read Cosell's book I NEVER PLAYED THE GAME and get some insight on it.

Remember Cosell calling out halftime highlights on Monday Night Football. Reason he did it was he could recognize every player instantly, on sight and his memory and preparation allowed him to call the plays and comment without hesitation. We see way too many announcers and commentators who think a resume of competition qualifies them to do commentary. Much better if they actually learn the business. Just as they had to prepare for competition they need to prepare to comment live, call an event and put together a good presentation.

LOL...naturally I mentioned Cosell, too. Now I'm gonna be called a copycat :(

I think this is deviating from the original question a tad bit. I wasn’t asking whether or not people thought Mike was a good announcer — but simply did we wrestle at Okie State?

And by wrestle there, I mean did he actually attend the school? And by attend I mean take classes, was on the roster, and owned a Okie State singlet? Shoot even an okie state ID? (I mean these are student athletes right?).

If we’re going to put that down on a resume, run a wrestling club, charge for camps, use certain rhetoric while commentating matches, I sure hope so. But it sounds like based on what the response has been so far is that he maybe attended open rooms? Owned a T-Shirt? Watched a few John Smith DVDs? 

Sure, I’ve visited the Harvard campus before. Read the Harvard Business Reciew. Shoot, I’ve even sat in on some classes and went to a few parties. BUT at no point and I saying I was a student at Harvard in my job interviews or even saying I was a “Harvard Drop Out”. That simply just wouldn’t be factually true.

Thats all. I just was curious to know the FACTS.

Edited by Very Happy Wrestler

6 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Mike said he went there and based on his interactions with John and how Mike and I have known each other for several years, to me, his story checks out and he doesn’t hide the fact he left.

Now, there is a section of this community that embellishes accomplishments, lies about people they’ve trained and people who namedrop and lie incessantly. Those are the people I will go after. Mike isn’t lying. I will absolutely call out parasites and liars here and on social media - there’s a guy in the DC area who has been an issue with some folks in VA and CO for over 15 years. I’d worry more about parasites lying than I would about a guy like Mike who is genuine and doing what he can to improve and promote the sport.

Call him out then!  Who is this parasite you speak of?  As I am from the stoner state, I am interested.

8 minutes ago, Very Happy Wrestler said:

I think this is deviating from the original question a tad bit. I wasn’t asking whether or not people thought Mike was a good announcer — but simply did we wrestle at Okie State?

And by wrestle there, I mean did he actually attend the school? And by attend I mean take classes, was on the roster, and owned a Okie State singlet? Shoot even an okie state ID? (I mean these are student athletes right?).

If we’re going to put that down on a resume, run a wrestling club, charge for camps, use certain rhetoric while commentating matches, I sure hope so. But it sounds like based on what the response has been so far is that he maybe attended open rooms? Owned a T-Shirt? Watched a few John Smith DVDs? 

Sure, I’ve visited the Harvard campus before. Read the Harvard Business Reciew. Shoot, I’ve even sat in on some classes and went to a few parties. BUT at no point and I saying I was a student at Harvard in my job interviews or even saying I was a “Harvard Drop Out”. That simply just wouldn’t be factually true.

Thats all. I just was curious to know the FACTS.

He attended Oklahoma State.