Very Happy Wrestler

Serious Question tho...

6 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You guys think Jordan Burroughs was running clinics for Kyle Dake on all his technique? It's very different running clinics/coaching for kids. Also yes you need to learn how to stop the move right? The easiest way to learn how to stop a move is to first learn how it's done. Prevent the compenets of how it's done you too the move.

Being coached by the oppositions  coach is different from learning technique from your opponent. Also yes other coaches and elite athletes can break moves down, but none of them are making videos for kids to learn from. And what about the not so elite kids? Here's a direct source for those average wrestlers of average coach to learn and improve from an outside source thats more easily accessible.

Those of you that are criticizing Mike Mal imo are enemies of the sport growing and kids learning. These little technique sessions are a hell of a lot better than the techqniue sessions that John Smith, Tom Brands and David Taylor did over the years during the NCAA finals.

Go on YouTube and there is an 8 minute video of Burroughs breaking down and teaching his double leg at a clinic. You don’t think Dake has YouTube? Any way I agree Mike is good for the sport and never said anything negative about him. I just don’t agree that wrestlers would be scared to share their own technique. You waste too much time agree over stupid little things like this, so I’m done on this topic now.

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Go on YouTube and there is an 8 minute video of Burroughs breaking down and teaching his double leg at a clinic. You don’t think Dake has YouTube? Any way I agree Mike is good for the sport and never said anything negative about him. I just don’t agree that wrestlers would be scared to share their own technique. You waste too much time agree over stupid little things like this, so I’m done on this topic now.

Again very different. Burroughs isnt making and publishing these videos 2 days after he hit an impressive scoring situation in a match. Saying these behind the dirt videos should be made by the wrestlers that hit them instead of Mike Mal is just silly.

As for negative things being said about him I wasnt referring to you. I was referring to the guys on this thread saying how "annoying he is always trying to teach and sounding like a know it all" or how is "schtick gets old quick" and trying to deligitimatize him.

Wow, it's amazing what people will argue about on here. I guess it's this stubbornness that makes wrestlers the unique individuals they are.

I see a little bit of right in everything everyone is saying here, including the OP but maybe he's getting a little accusatory and it does seem like there may be an alterior motive to his post.

One thing I do know for sure, almost THE cardinal rule, is that you never lie about your wrestling. The truth always comes out one way or another, often on the mats which can be humiliating. My brother and I (neither of us stud wrestlers in our day but solid varsity hs guys at a school with a traditional rep for excellence) got into a discussion with a "state champ" while out at a bar a long while back.  The stuff he was saying just didn't jive and my brother and I knew it pretty much right off the bat. The short story is my brother and I each took turns drilling this guy into the ground after HE basically challenged US when we doubted his story. I guess more than a few beers were involved.

I like this Mike Mal, he seems to "pass the sniff test", and his technique level (both spoken and demonstrated) suggests higher level experience. Not elite, but high level. It seems pretty apparent to me that he is preaching what he practiced. I would think that with the numerous people he has been rubbing elbows with that he would be exposed by now if he wasn't what he says he is/was. But if he hasn't obeyed that cardinal rule, it's only a matter of time before he is exposed and that will be embarrassing. 

4 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

Wow, it's amazing what people will argue about on here. I guess it's this stubbornness that makes wrestlers the unique individuals they are.

I see a little bit of right in everything everyone is saying here, including the OP but maybe he's getting a little accusatory and it does seem like there may be an alterior motive to his post.

One thing I do know for sure, almost THE cardinal rule, is that you never lie about your wrestling. The truth always comes out one way or another, often on the mats which can be humiliating. My brother and I (neither of us stud wrestlers in our day but solid varsity hs guys at a school with a traditional rep for excellence) got into a discussion with a "state champ" while out at a bar a long while back.  The stuff he was saying just didn't jive and my brother and I knew it pretty much right off the bat. The short story is my brother and I each took turns drilling this guy into the ground after HE basically challenged US when we doubted his story. I guess more than a few beers were involved.

I like this Mike Mal, he seems to "pass the sniff test", and his technique level (both spoken and demonstrated) suggests higher level experience. Not elite, but high level. It seems pretty apparent to me that he is preaching what he practiced. I would think that with the numerous people he has been rubbing elbows with that he would be exposed by now if he wasn't what he says he is/was. But if he hasn't obeyed that cardinal rule, it's only a matter of time before he is exposed and that will be embarrassing. 

I agree. He doesnt claim to be a national champ or anything remotely like that. Wrestling needs to get over the whole idea of "if you dont have world class credentials you're not good enough to coach me." Ben Askren gets into it a bit in one of the rudis podcast episodes. Heck one of my best wrestling coaches was a gym teacher who never wrestled a match. It's one of the things that imo holds the sport back from growing.

13 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I agree. He doesnt claim to be a national champ or anything remotely like that. Wrestling needs to get over the whole idea of "if you dont have world class credentials you're not good enough to coach me." Ben Askren gets into it a bit in one of the rudis podcast episodes. Heck one of my best wrestling coaches was a gym teacher who never wrestled a match. It's one of the things that imo holds the sport back from growing.

In general, the problem with using misleading or inaccurate information in a resume is that it can unfairly deprive someone else of an opportunity.

18 minutes ago, Katie said:

In general, the problem with using misleading or inaccurate information in a resume is that it can unfairly deprive someone else of an opportunity.

I fail to see where I said to use misleading or inaccurate information on ones resume. Furthermore it's not like theres anyone else stepping up to do what he does. Who's opportunity is being deprived here?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

10 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I fail to see where I said to use misleading or inaccurate information on ones resume. Furthermore it's not like theres anyone else stepping up to do what he does. Who's opportunity is being deprived here?

I don't know anything about this particular situation. I don't even know who is responsible for the image in the OP.

All I'm saying is that in general there are good reasons for people to disapprove of those who use misleading or inaccurate information in their resumes.

Edited by Katie