Sign in to follow this  
goheels1812

Cowboy Shootout

Anyone else catch the cowboy shootout at Wyoming tonight? I hadn’t seen Wyoming live in a dual this year, but those guys can scrap. Wyoming went 3-0, UNC went 2-1, army went 1-2, and American went 0-3.

Notes from the matches

-Wyoming has a tough little 125 in Verner. I could see him being a sleeper AA.

-Gary Wayne Harding looked excellent for UNC. He took Bridges to the last second (probably would’ve won with about 10 more seconds). He then beat Josh Terao.

-I also was really impressed with Branson Ashworth at 165. He won’t be an easy guy to beat in March. It’s crazy how deep 165 is this year. 

-Army overall as a team had a good dual despite going 1-2. They keep coming at you every match. 

-Still no Monday for UNC. Coleman Scott said he’s been out due to an illness. The Tar Heels really need to get him back to get enough matches at 165 to be comfortable there for the ACC and NCAA tournaments. 

I had the opportunity to make it over to Laramie for this event and it was a lot of fun. 

The UNC WYO dual was fun from start to finish. Wyoming wrestles a little bit flat at time and it likely cost Carless Looney his starting job in front of his hometown fans (the coaches pulled Tate Samuelson’s redshirt against Army).  The final match with AC Headlee and Sam Turner was a nail biter won with a last second escape by turner to seal the match and dual meet victory.

all the duals had fun matchups and some fun points where the coaches got chippy with each other.  If there was one bad thing about the night it was the Army coaching staff.  They came off as crybabies.  At one point they threw the challenge brick across the mat and onto the adjacent mat.  Not a great look for them.  They’re all you young fiery coaches who want the best for their guys and I’m sure they will learn to hone in their crazy.

as we were walking out to our car after the kids got autographed from as many wrestlers they could find we headed out the doors and ran into Teague Moore.  So I introduced myself and he talked to the kids and really put an exclamation point on the evening for the whole tribe.

Wyoming brings it. Branch has done a fantastic job there and it's the main reason I want him to take over if/when John Smith retires at OSU. Regarding Gary Wayne Harding, he's a 2 time NCAA qualifier in his own right and I think he was R16 both times. I think he's fringe AA level, and I think he was fringe AA level last year (but probably more R12). OSU just got too badass at the lightweights and he was shoehorned out. I'd like to see Harding place at NCAAs, would be a nice end to his career.

Edited by TobusRex

2 hours ago, rcoates1 said:

I had the opportunity to make it over to Laramie for this event and it was a lot of fun. 

The UNC WYO dual was fun from start to finish. Wyoming wrestles a little bit flat at time and it likely cost Carless Looney his starting job in front of his hometown fans (the coaches pulled Tate Samuelson’s redshirt against Army).  The final match with AC Headlee and Sam Turner was a nail biter won with a last second escape by turner to seal the match and dual meet victory.

all the duals had fun matchups and some fun points where the coaches got chippy with each other.  If there was one bad thing about the night it was the Army coaching staff.  They came off as crybabies.  At one point they threw the challenge brick across the mat and onto the adjacent mat.  Not a great look for them.  They’re all you young fiery coaches who want the best for their guys and I’m sure they will learn to hone in their crazy.

as we were walking out to our car after the kids got autographed from as many wrestlers they could find we headed out the doors and ran into Teague Moore.  So I introduced myself and he talked to the kids and really put an exclamation point on the evening for the whole tribe.

I hate to hear that about Looney. I was looking through some prior results and it looked like he showed well against Nick Reenan. Chip Ness is one of those guys that when he gets hot he really gets going. He following up his pin of Looney by teching Noah Stewart of Army (who’s a top 20 guy). 

On 1/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, TobusRex said:

Wyoming brings it. Branch has done a fantastic job there and it's the main reason I want him to take over if/when John Smith retires at OSU. Regarding Gary Wayne Harding, he's a 2 time NCAA qualifier in his own right and I think he was R16 both times. I think he's fringe AA level, and I think he was fringe AA level last year (but probably more R12). OSU just got too badass at the lightweights and he was shoehorned out. I'd like to see Harding place at NCAAs, would be a nice end to his career.

Harding was R16 in 2015 & R32 in 2016.  With that being said, I am hoping he makes a deep run in his final season.    

Also agree that Branch would be a great replacement at OSU although I would hate for Wyoming to lose him.