Sign in to follow this  

NC State vs Ohio State 1/6/19 6:00 EST on ESPN2

Preview from NC State website:

https://gopack.com/news/2019/1/4/wrestling-9-packwrestle-travels-to-2-ohio-state-for-clash-on-espn2.aspx

PROBABLE STARTERS
#9 NC State Wolfpack (9-1)
125: #10 R-Sr. Sean Fausz (2-1) –OR- R-Fr. Zurich Storm (9-2)
133: #7 R-So. Tariq Wilson (11-1)
141: R-Sr. Jamal Morris (8-4)
149: #4 Gr. Justin Oliver (10-0)
157: #5 R-So. Hayden Hidlay (9-2)
165: #18 R-So. Thomas Bullard (10-4)
174: R-So. Daniel Bullard (12-4)
184: #3 R-So. Nick Reenan (10-0)
197: #19 R-Sr. Malik McDonald (9-5)
285: Fr. Deonte Wilson (11-6) -OR- Fr. Colin Lawler (13-4)

#2 Ohio State Buckeyes (4-0)
125: So. Braken Mead (4-6)
133: #5 Jr. Luke Pletcher (13-1)
141: #2 Sr. Joey McKenna (10-0)
149: #3 R-Sr. Micah Jordan (12-1)
157: #8 R-Jr. Ke-Shawn Hayes (12-2)
165: R-Fr. Kaleb Romero (6-2)
174: #19 R-Fr. Ethan Smith (11-4) –OR- Sr. Te'Shan Campbell (6-2)
184: #1 Sr. Myles Martin (7-0)
197: R-Jr. #2 Kollin Moore (7-0)
285: R-Fr. Chase Singletary (12-3)

Lot of good potentially matchups here, particularly Wilson/Pletcher, Oliver/Jordan, Hidlay/Hayes and Reenan/Martin.

Does NC State have a chance?  Looks like the only match they're heavy favorites is 125, and the only other matches they have the higher ranked guys are 157 and 165.  tOSU on the other hand will be heavy favorites at 141 and 197 with the higher ranked guys at 133, 149, 174, and 197.  285 is the only weight where neither team has a ranked wrestler. 

So basically NCSU will need bonus from Fausz, and a couple upsets out of the likes of Wilson, Oliver, and Reenan then win the bonus point battle.  But of course even 157 and 165 aren't sure things for them either.  Not that familiar with either guy at 165...Bullard is ranked but Romero looks like he has a pretty good resume

Hopefully no ducking from either side. I'll take a quick stab

125: Fausz major 4-0 NCSU

133: Wilson dec 7-0 NCSU

141: McKenna major 7-4 NCSU

149: Jordan dec 7-7 

157: Hidlay dec 10-7 NCSU

165: Bullard dec 13-7 NCSU

174: Smith dec 13-10 NCSU

184: Martin dec 13-13

197: Moore dec 16-13 tOSU

285: Singletary dec 19-13 tOSU

Edited by 1032004

Haha was literally about to make this thread. 

Amazing dual. Can’t wait to watch. 

125: Fausz by Major 4-0 NC State

133: Wilson by dec 7-0 NC state (Tariq has not looked good and pletcher has looked the same as last year. This could go either way)

141: McKenna by Major 7-4 NC State

149: Jordan by Dec 7-7 (Oliver has to get his top game going. He is a live underdog but Micah is far better on the feet. You can get to Oliver’s legs. Bad style matchup for him)

157: Hidlay by dec 10-7 (interesting match but Hidlay I think is getting back to previous form. He is also twice the size of Hayes)

165: Bullard by dec. toss up. Both guys are right around #20. I’m going Bullard but Romero will score on the feet. I think Bullard rides him out at some point and wins by 1. 13-7

174: Smith by dec. another toss up. Both guys are right around #20. Smith is a little tighter technically but Bullard is the slightly better scrambler. 13-10

184: Martin by dec. big Reenan fan. Been touting him since he was recruited. This would be an upset but I think Martin is the only guy that can beat him. This seems like Bo vs Martin style matchup. Martin is the favorite but Reenan would win 2 or 3 out of 10. Great match. 13-13. 

197: Moore By MD. Mcdonald’s style of shutting opponents down and scoring late will not work. Moore is too good on the feet. McDonald doesn’t do well when he goes down early. 13-17

285: Singletary by dec. deonte at some point is going to be good. He is nimble and enourmous. He doesn’t have good match tactics yet and his bottom is terrible, but he is a true freshman heavy who is going to be good over time training with Gwiz, Kasper, Machiavello and their training partners. Wouldn’t be a huge upset if he won, but I don’t think it is his time yet. 13-20 tOSU wins. 

This dual could go either way or be a blowout. The teams match up very well. 

Matches that could go either way

Cant wait. Most anticipated dual of the season so far. 

Edit: just realized we have almost identical picks. 

Edited by Housebuye

I predict that tOSU flubs this one.  tOSU and Ryan don't care about duals, just like PSU doesn't care about duals.  tOSU is NOT a good dual team this year.  Too many holes or question marks at 125, 165, 174.  Compound that with high quality opponents at 133, 149, and 157, and tOSU's ability to withstand the losses at the other weights disappears quickly.  I would much rather have it the other way around, but I a.) try to be a realist, and b.) set my expectations low, so that when they are exceeded, I'm happy.  

125:  Fausz WBF Mead:  6-0 NCSU

133:  Wilson dec. Pletcher:  9-0 NCSU

141:  McKenna dec. Morris:  9-3 NCSU

149:  UPSET:  Oliver dec. Jordan:  12-3 NCSU

157:  Hidlay dec. Hayes:  15-3 NCSU

165:  Bullard dec. Romero:  18-3 NCSU

174:  Smith dec. Bullard:  18-6 NCSU

184:  Martin dec. Reenan:  18-9 NCSU

197:  Moore MDec. McDonald:  18-13 NCSU

HWT:  Singletary dec. Wilson/Lawler:  18-16 NCSU

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

I predict that tOSU flubs this one.  tOSU and Ryan don't care about duals, just like PSU doesn't care about duals.  tOSU is NOT a good dual team this year.  Too many holes or question marks at 125, 165, 174.  Compound that with high quality opponents at 133, 149, and 157, and tOSU's ability to withstand the losses at the other weights disappears quickly.  I would much rather have it the other way around, but I a.) try to be a realist, and b.) set my expectations low, so that when they are exceeded, I'm happy.  

125:  Fausz WBF Mead:  6-0 NCSU

133:  Wilson dec. Pletcher:  9-0 NCSU

141:  McKenna dec. Morris:  9-3 NCSU

149:  UPSET:  Oliver dec. Jordan:  12-3 NCSU

157:  Hidlay dec. Hayes:  15-3 NCSU

165:  Bullard dec. Romero:  18-3 NCSU

174:  Smith dec. Bullard:  18-6 NCSU

184:  Martin dec. Reenan:  18-9 NCSU

197:  Moore MDec. McDonald:  18-13 NCSU

HWT:  Singletary dec. Wilson/Lawler:  18-16 NCSU

Why are you picking Oliver over Micah? Micah is 2-0 against him and both were pretty dominant. Curious why you think this time is different

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Why are you picking Oliver over Micah? Micah is 2-0 against him and both were pretty dominant. Curious why you think this time is different

Because I needed to pick an upset, and Micah has been known to wrestled near/at the level of his opponent, even when he is the superior wrestler.  Putting it within arm's reach lends itself to dangerous situations, and Micah is not as positionally sound as someone like McKenna.  McKenna can win 3-1, and it feels like it was 12-1.  Jordan can win 3-1, and it still feels like he lost.  

57 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Because I needed to pick an upset, and Micah has been known to wrestled near/at the level of his opponent, even when he is the superior wrestler.  Putting it within arm's reach lends itself to dangerous situations, and Micah is not as positionally sound as someone like McKenna.  McKenna can win 3-1, and it feels like it was 12-1.  Jordan can win 3-1, and it still feels like he lost.  

Yup makes sense. Thanks. 

I’m going Micah but he could absolutely lose or win by major. 

Mckenna looks like he is absolutely laser focused into the national championship.  He looks so fundamentally sound in every position.  The technique, the strength, the cerebral calculus of his approach.  Im thoroughly impressed.  He looks immensely better than last year, and he was darn good last year. 

6 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Mckenna looks like he is absolutely laser focused into the national championship.  He looks so fundamentally sound in every position.  The technique, the strength, the cerebral calculus of his approach.  Im thoroughly impressed.  He looks immensely better than last year, and he was darn good last year. 

That sounds right.   I believe that McKenna has a date with Yianni at the last tOSU dual of the year.   Hopefully, neither one ducks for seeding purposes. 

It will be interesting to see if Nick Lee (who also is improved) can hang with McKenna this year. 

1 minute ago, dmm53 said:

That sounds right.   I believe that McKenna has a date with Yianni at the last tOSU dual of the year.   Hopefully, neither one ducks for seeding purposes. 

It will be interesting to see if Nick Lee (who also is improved) can hang with McKenna this year. 

I think the Yianni/mckenna match will happen.  I dont think its in their DNA to duck.

3 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I think the Yianni/mckenna match will happen.  I dont think its in their DNA to duck.

I don't think either one would do it on their own; but I don't necessarily trust coaches in these cases.