Sign in to follow this  

NC State vs Ohio State 1/6/19 6:00 EST on ESPN2

It kind of pains me to say this as a PA homer and a natural non fan of duh OSU but, Myles Martin might be the most improved from last year to this year. He is wrestling with more confidence and is wrestling very clean and crisp. I think he is only getting started and has more potential than he is showing which will come out as his confidence grows. The real improvmnt isn’t in skill,he has always had it.  The improvement is in his confidence so he is opening up more and showing greater skill and potential. He could be a future star on the international scene if he can maintain at this rate. He seems like a nice guy and has carried himself with class his whole career thus far. 

With that said, I hope Rasheed can win at least 1 of their matchups this year.

My 2 biggest takeaways from this match being a Bucs fan was I was obviously happy Jordan pulled off a very tight ranked match at the end and Singletary looking very promising at heavy . Didn’t know much about him prior to seeing this tonight . 

I guess it went mostly as expected, but stunk to see Wilson get hurt (and that we couldn’t see the rest of that match).

Some good matches.

Martin looked awesome, and McKenna and Hidlay looked pretty good too.

Oliver almost made treep’s prediction come true but Micah squeaked it out in the  final seconds.

Romero probably outwrestled Bullard in regulation, and IIRC was in on a shot in OT but gives up the TD on the counter.

The 285 match reminded me of a HS heavy match - I was waiting for Lawlerr to roll Singletary over for his own pin but it didn’t happen.  I don’t think Lawler was pinned but most refs probably call the fall there.

Not sure why Fausz wasn’t getting more backpoints, and neither was he, taking it out on Lucas with the face mush at the end.

Edit: Should we take anything away from the fact that the screen showed Heinselman as the projected 125?  Was he going to wrestle if it was closer?

Edited by 1032004

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:54 AM, treep2000 said:

I predict that tOSU flubs this one.  tOSU and Ryan don't care about duals, just like PSU doesn't care about duals.  tOSU is NOT a good dual team this year.  Too many holes or question marks at 125, 165, 174.  Compound that with high quality opponents at 133, 149, and 157, and tOSU's ability to withstand the losses at the other weights disappears quickly.  I would much rather have it the other way around, but I a.) try to be a realist, and b.) set my expectations low, so that when they are exceeded, I'm happy.  

125:  Fausz WBF Mead:  6-0 NCSU

133:  Wilson dec. Pletcher:  9-0 NCSU

141:  McKenna dec. Morris:  9-3 NCSU

149:  UPSET:  Oliver dec. Jordan:  12-3 NCSU

157:  Hidlay dec. Hayes:  15-3 NCSU

165:  Bullard dec. Romero:  18-3 NCSU

174:  Smith dec. Bullard:  18-6 NCSU

184:  Martin dec. Reenan:  18-9 NCSU

197:  Moore MDec. McDonald:  18-13 NCSU

HWT:  Singletary dec. Wilson/Lawler:  18-16 NCSU

125:  Ended up being Lucas... was dominating, but not a fall.  

133:  Wilson "was" beating Pletcher until the injury (although, wasn't it 2-2?)

141:  Major instead of decision.  McKenna looked amazing.

149:  Jordan with a last second TD or else my prediction would have come true.

157:  Chalk

165:  Chalk.  Romero isn't the answer at 165, sadly enough.  I thought he may have some skills to be an upper quartile/decile 165.  Looks like we may be wrong.

174:  Te'shan instead of Smith.  Chalk

184:  Chalk.  MyMar looked brilliant.  

197:  Chalk.  

HWT: Chalk.  Singletary had him pinned on at least 5 separate instances in that first sequence.  By some counts, it was 7 different instances.  

Regardless, things went the exact way I thought in 6 of 10 matches.  Good job Bucks.  

Enjoyed the match. Atmosphere was pretty good. Cant wait for the new facility (traffic will be way better exiting. But ill miss the short walk to and from Varsity Club.) I'm a big fan of both schools so it was a ton of fun for me. With that being said, go Bucks. 

Really bummed for Wilson, his fam/fans were right by us. Win or lose I wish he was able to finish out the match, but safety/health comes first always. I think he's got Pletchers number fortunately/unfortunately. I bet we see these guys wrestle it out for 3rd again - one making the finals wouldnt be a shock either. This weight it more open than its given credit for. 

Micah impressed me. The coaching staff knows what/who he is and where he can win against elite opponents and he did it here. I still believe Oliver can be a finalist - 149 is such a fun weight now that there is more than 1 realistic champ. 

Hidlay looks like hes coming back around. I think he's #2 when its all said and done. - Hayes is probably a 7th,8th, or blood round guy still. One of these days he'll be in the right weight. 

Fausz deserved more backs. I think he finally gets on the podium. - Heinselman was warming up, and word on the street was they were going to pull his redshirt. Before the end of the season I think they will. 

Martin is unreal to say the least. With that being said, his inability to secure the major was a bit odd. Coach Ryan wasnt very happy after that. Gotta think small things like that will be fixed. - Reenan is very good. Its just hard to show against a guy like Martin, who is pretty far separated from the field. Especially when you have to go into "conservation mode" for your team as he did here. 

I have no clue what to make of Singletary. He looked good here, and at the front side of Vegas. Gotta hope/think he'll be readu come Big Tens. - Glad to see Lawler's RS pulled here. I think he has potential. 

Hope this series continues. Great for both programs IMO. Go Bucks, and Go Pack!

10 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

I love Myles Martin and he has clearly established himself as one of the nation's elite.  That said--was I the only person who noticed that Reenan appeared to have a knee problem?   

No... Youre not... But I think the lack of focus on it is due to the fact that it most likely wouldnt have mattered.  

Six thoughts -

1. ESPN needs to find a way to get riding time displayed when they are broadcasting duals. I get that the announcers mention it from time to time but if a guy is close to gaining or losing a point in a close match I want to see it before it happens. This applies to all broadcast networks.

2. Martin looked great. I know he has great mat awareness when not wrestling Bo, but with time to take a shot and get back to a major, I hated seeing him look back to check the clock with 6-7 seconds left in the match. Score and score some more.

3. Not sure how Singletary did not get the fall in the first.

4. I expected an active, aggresive, and full of energy Hayes at 157 with no weight cut. Instead it seems like he is passive, flat footed, and content to keep it close.  I still think the potential is there as he will try to hit a big move to go up or up the pace at the end to steal a win, but as a whole I like him a lot better at 149 than 157. I realize who he was wrestling, but his mat presence seems off whether he is wrestling a back up or a returning NCAA finalist.

5. Interested in the continued watch for Ohio State at 125 and 165/174. Unless Mead or Lucas step it up over the next two months, the Bucks may be shut out of points at 125 and I don't know if Malik is better served wrestling or redshirting regardless of his performance at the Midlands. Obviously it is a thought in Ryan's mind if Heinselman was weighed in and ready to wrestle if the outcome of the dual was in question.

6. I can see progress for Romero at 165 but he needs to finish if he is getting his hand raised in March. I like Ohio State better in PA with Campbell or Smith at 165 and 174 than each fighting for the spot at 174 and Romero at 165. Looking at the middleweight depth,  I think Cleary has gotten better at 157 though not sure if it would be a Hayes at 157 situation if he moved up, and I do like Schierel's big move potential. While neither are likely a 2019 All-American, I am looking for some points in Pittsburgh at 165.

Edited by KSchlosser

4 hours ago, KSchlosser said:

Six thoughts -

1. ESPN needs to find a way to get riding time displayed when they are broadcasting duals. I get that the announcers mention it from time to time but if a guy is close to gaining or losing a point in a close match I want to see it before it happens. This applies to all broadcast networks.

2. Martin looked great. I know he has great mat awareness when not wrestling Bo, but with time to take a shot and get back to a major, I hated seeing him look back to check the clock with 6-7 seconds left in the match. Score and score some more.

3. Not sure how Singletary did not get the fall in the first.

4. I expected an active, aggresive, and full of energy Hayes at 157 with no weight cut. Instead it seems like he is passive, flat footed, and content to keep it close.  I still think the potential is there as he will try to hit a big move to go up or up the pace at the end to steal a win, but as a whole I like him a lot better at 149 than 157. I realize who he was wrestling, but his mat presence seems off whether he is wrestling a back up or a returning NCAA finalist.

5. Interested in the continued watch for Ohio State at 125 and 165/174. Unless Mead or Lucas step it up over the next two months, the Bucks may be shut out of points at 125 and I don't know if Malik is better served wrestling or redshirting regardless of his performance at the Midlands. Obviously it is a thought in Ryan's mind if Heinselman was weighed in and ready to wrestle if the outcome of the dual was in question.

6. I can see progress for Romero at 165 but he needs to finish if he is getting his hand raised in March. I like Ohio State better in PA with Campbell or Smith at 165 and 174 than each fighting for the spot at 174 and Romero at 165. Looking at the middleweight depth,  I think Cleary has gotten better at 157 though not sure if it would be a Hayes at 157 situation if he moved up, and I do like Schierel's big move potential. While neither are likely a 2019 All-American, I am looking for some points in Pittsburgh at 165.

Agreed mostly. Good post. 

2. Agreed. The clock look was amateur for someone as seasoned as Martin. Coaches should've told him to get another takedown and not go for the rideout. He had over 30 seconds left and was scoring almost at will.

4. Hayes isn't AAing at 157 if he wrestles like this. He has to get to try to be offensive. His best position is top. Why not try to get there? If he tries to go takedown for takedown when he is way smaller than everyone, he is going to take more Barone type losses. He is a very good wrestler, but his style is killing me. 

5. Seems like they are going to give Malik a shot. It appears to be a bit premature, but they see him in the room everyday against NATO, Pletcher, McKenna, Stieber, etc. Him AAing is possible if he has put on a bit more strength and cleaned up his defense since we saw him last. 

6. not sure why everyone is off the Romero bandwagon all of a sudden. He is a redshirt freshman who is borderline top 20. He is unlikely to place this year, but we know he is an excellent athlete and has been working hard. He has a great shot at AAing before the end of his career