Sign in to follow this  
moveurfeet32

What Programs need new leadership? coaches on the hot seat

1- Hofstra...they have been a train wreck since hiring Dennis P...Program has just nosedived

2- Oklahoma...Roselli rode Tom Ryan coattail to a prestigious job but not all great assistants are great Head Coaches

3- Maryland...McCoy might struggle leading a loaded HS team to a conference title

Edited by moveurfeet32

I don't know about Hofstra or Maryland. Haven't heard of any good wrestlers from those places in a long time, now that I think about it.

OU is pretty bad, but I don't think Lou is on the hot seat. He was left in a bad situation. A rebuild situation. Castiglione (OU's AD) has traditionally been very patient with his coaches, I bet he gives Lou at least a couple more years to show improvement.

Edited by TobusRex

3 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

1- Hofstra...they have been a train wreck since hiring Dennis P...

I talked to the Hofstra coach at Vegas.  They have a “roster limit” which is a real challenge regarding workout partners, etc.

Considering these restraints, I believe he is doing a good job overall.

OU - too early to judge.

Maryland - obviously long overdue for a change in leadership.

Lou hasn’t had time. He could very well have an AA this year and 2 or 3 next year. 

The program was in shambles when he came and this is his recruits first season. 

Totally agree on Maryland. Fully funded Big10 school. Give that opportunity to a hungry coach. 

Edited by Housebuye

14 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Lou hasn’t had time. He could very well have an AA this year and 2 or 3 next year. 

The program was in shambles when he came and this is his recruits first season. 

Totally agree on Maryland. Fully funded Big10 school. Give that opportunity to a hungry coach. 

My fear at Maryland is that the admin is in such a shambles picking up the pieces from the recent DJ Durkin football scandal that they won’t put in the effort necessary to do a proper search for a new/young/hungry wrestling coaching staff.

19 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don't know about Hofstra or Maryland. Haven't heard of any good wrestlers from those places in a long time, now that I think about it.

OU is pretty bad, but I don't think Lou is on the hot seat. He was left in a bad situation. A rebuild situation. Castiglione (OU's AD) has traditionally been very patient with his coaches, I bet he gives Lou at least a couple more years to show improvement.

Maryland & Hofstra both had heavyweight AAs last year.

Maryland's AA, Hemida, is back this year.

20 hours ago, Show_Me said:

I talked to the Hofstra coach at Vegas.  They have a “roster limit” which is a real challenge regarding workout partners, etc.

Considering these restraints, I believe he is doing a good job overall.

OU - too early to judge.

Maryland - obviously long overdue for a change in leadership.

So did Tom Ryan and he had them in the top 20 yearly..There was a huge buzz about Hofstra Wrestling in the Mid-Atlantic Region for a while...They always wrestled a tough schedule and had the Region in a buzz...NY is a very good wrestling state and it seems they could care less about this Program these days..They just lost to 0-4 Bloomsburg and have significantly watered down the schedule...The fan base is nowhere...Dennis is  not the guy and just makes excuses daily about why he can't get it done... Not surprised he complained to you about it to a random fan..Ask anybody from NY how they think the Program is going.

21 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

So did Tom Ryan and he had them in the top 20 yearly..There was a huge buzz about Hofstra Wrestling in the Mid-Atlantic Region for a while...They always wrestled a tough schedule and had the Region in a buzz...NY is a very good wrestling state and it seems they could care less about this Program these days..They just lost to 0-4 Bloomsburg and have significantly watered down the schedule...The fan base is nowhere...Dennis is  not the guy and just makes excuses daily about why he can't get it done... Not surprised he complained to you about it to a random fan..Ask anybody from NY how they think the Program is going.

According to their website they had 29 guys on the roster at the end of the season when Ryan coaches them in 2004. Last year they had 19 guys on the roster. 

26 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Cornell was not the Cornell it now is when Ryan was at Hofstra. Completely different game when the best talent in NY can all go to Ithaca. 

Minnesota. They used to be a powherhouse team, almost beat Penn St. at NCAA's even, but haven't had a single national champ in almost 6 years. Hopefully Gable can change that. 

Minny has had a difficult time with a couple blue chip recruits not working out and seeing j rob go to scandal. I wonder if it is hard for him to watch one of the current stars of the program knowing his choices lead to his less than graceful dismissal. I think Minnesota is rebounding and will be challenging for a team trophy again in another year or two 

Hofstra is a tough sell it cost $62,000/year  with room and board.So if you get  50% it still costs $31,000 you can go many places and walkon and pay $31,000.Plus NY only talent that stays in state goes to Cornell everyone goes out of state. 

Hofstra costs $62K. It's a pretty dismal place, one of the least attractive campuses I have seen. But Nassau county produces some good wrestlers, not all of whom can go to Cornell. Could Hofstra even beat Columbia at this point?

Edited by NJDan

I think the MAC is especially weak this year.

Maybe this deserves its own topic, but outside of the misfits of ODU and Missouri, where are the usual suspects of Kent State, CMU and Ohio U? I'm cautious about picking on the underdogs, and I really like the MAC for offering its gritty challengers every year, but I'm not seeing it from its old guard this season. 

The MAC is really down this year here are the teams dual records against D1 opponents

Mizzu 10-0

Buffalo 7-3 (7 wins against teams with combined 11-25 record)

ODU 3-2 (3 wins against teams with 5-13 combined record)

Central Michigan 2-3 (2 wins against teams with combined 3-10 record)

Ohio 2-4 (2 wins against teams with combined 2-7 record)

Kent St 3-6 ( 3 wins against teams with combined 5-12 record)

NIU 1-6 (1 win against 1-4 Clarion)

SIU-E 0-7

So the MAC teams have a combined 28-31 dual record 

If you take Mizzu out the remaining 7 teams combine for 18-31 dual record 

Those 18 wins came against teams with combined records of  27-71

So not only is the MAC down but it looks like they schedule weak non conference teams

Will have to look at each team to see how many bids the league will earn this year but I expect it to be lower then normal 

Edited by justafan

Justafan, do you think that weakness threatens any of the coaches? (trying to bring it back to the topic)

I think of a couple of the storylines- The guys who transferred out of CMU, Conel exiting KSU injured. I don't know if we can blame the coaching for having a few of the bright spots stop shining. Maybe it's just evidence of a lack of depth compared to places where there is AA-level talent in the backups. 

MAC was having a pretty down year last year, and then Conel had his run and Perry from EMU placed as well. So hopefully the Mac will get a few non Mizzou AAs as well this year. Maybe Perry gets hot again and Early hopefully both get in there for ODU. 

back to overall topic....Maryland as others have noted seems like the most obvious answer.   

Not sure how many MAC coaches are on the hot seat but according to those numbers a few should be.But my opinion is I doubt many are the truth is most MAC schools administrations aren't concerned with winning.The universities want a solid team gpa,roster retention, and staying out of the police blotter.Basically  just don't go over budget and don't cause problems

Edited by justafan

American needs a change in leadership. That program had a ton of success under Cody and now it is in rather an rough state comparitvely. Wrestlers seem to have a tough time developing under Teague and getting much better. 3 AAs under Moore now and none were his recruits?

Edited by Nathan

We can speculate as fans who we believe is on the hot seat performance wise.But to know who's on the hot seat you gotta know the way the athletic department and administration feel about winning.There may be a few programs that are winning but the coach may be on the hot seat for other reasons.So the only way anybody knows who's really on the hot seat is if theyre close with a  AD or someone making those decisions

3 hours ago, justafan said:

The MAC is really down this year here are the teams dual records against D1 opponents

Mizzu 10-0

Buffalo 7-3 (7 wins against teams with combined 11-25 record)

ODU 3-2 (3 wins against teams with 5-13 combined record)

Central Michigan 2-3 (2 wins against teams with combined 3-10 record)

Ohio 2-4 (2 wins against teams with combined 2-7 record)

Kent St 3-6 ( 3 wins against teams with combined 5-12 record)

NIU 1-6 (1 win against 1-4 Clarion)

SIU-E 0-7

So the MAC teams have a combined 28-31 dual record 

If you take Mizzu out the remaining 7 teams combine for 18-31 dual record 

Those 18 wins came against teams with combined records of  27-71

So not only is the MAC down but it looks like they schedule weak non conference teams

Will have to look at each team to see how many bids the league will earn this year but I expect it to be lower then normal 

not necessarily true. yes their wins are apparently against 'weak' foes, but you have to look at the losses as well. ODU's 1 non conf loss is to NCSt (by one point). CMU's two non conf losses are to Michigan and UVa. Buff's two non conf losses are to Wisconsin and Mich St (ok not that great but a Big Ten team). One of Ohio's losses is to Iowa St. Kent St lost to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn St (and beat Mich St).

so they're actually scheduling some good non conf foes.....just not beating them......  

Edited by KTG119

Kent and Ohio U have sunk in recent years as has the rest of the once rising MAC.  I'm told constantly that the admins/AD's at these schools aren't interested in improving and the fact they haven't changed coaches would seem to back up this info.  Ohio has plenty of high school talent but neither of these programs seems capable of landing any major in state studs.