TobusRex

Fave non-favorite teams

Alright, let's talk about teams that aren't our favorite, but that we like a lot. Full disclosure from me first. I root for Okie wrestlers, wherever they are. My fave wrestling teams are OU/OSU. OSU gives me a lot more to cheer about than OU usually, lol. The other teams that I really enjoy watching are:

1. Mizzou. Really like this team, always appreciated their blue collar approach. They don't get many superstar recruits but they develop the guys they do get.

2. PSU. Gotta love a team that just curbstomps the rest. PSU's got so many hammers, had so many hammers for so many years. How can a fan not love watching them?

3. Cornell. Gotta respect a team as tough as Cornell, especially when it's a great academic school as well. They always have some great kids.

4. Iowa. A fallen giant. Still, entertaining insane coaches, a couple fun hammers to watch (Marinelli, Lee), and a rich tradition with knowledgeable, fanatic fans.

My team that I would root for if they would give me something to actually root for would be Indiana. But after that, I find myself rooting for Northwestern. 

Love watching PSU for obvious reasons, even if some of their fans annoy me.

And Iowa for the exact same reason that you gave. 

Edited by Molsen

Echo some of the above.  Happy to see Northwestern doing well--they were supposed to be dead in the water a few years back but have proven otherwise.  Love Cornell, the individual technique and styles, Vito, Yanni, et al.  Also love following some D-II and D-III programs, which usually fly under the radar but some great wrestling.

My favorite team is my local team , UB( Buffalo). Close drive so I make as many home duals as possible. Some of the big boys have come to town over recent years( Iowa, Missouri, Cornell). I wish they would get some more high level recruits, but it is what it is.Support your local team!

2nd favorite, Cornell. Love to cheer them on.

Favorite non fave_— Penn st , of course

My favorite team is my local team , UB( Buffalo). Close drive so I make as many home duals as possible. Some of the big boys have come to town over recent years( Iowa, Missouri, Cornell). I wish they would get some more high level recruits, but it is what it is.Support your local team!

2nd favorite, Cornell. Love to cheer them on.

Favorite non fave_— Penn st , of course

Along the same lines I secretly root for Northern Colorado because of Troy Nickerson. But am a Cornell fan till the end.

Edited by Sublime607

My favorite team is UNC. I live close to Chapel Hill and get out to as many duals as I can. 

The two other programs I pull for are Cornell and Minnesota. I like Rob Koll because he was a 4 time AA at UNC and Kyle Dake is one of my favorite college wrestlers of all time. Moving up to challenge himself against Taylor his senior year is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in a sport. I like Minnesota because I did J Robs camp in between my sophomore and junior year of high school. I got to meet a lot of the staff and current wrestlers and I loved the experience. That’s also where I found out how different college wrestlers are. I watched the 125 for Minnesota put on a clinic against a kid that was a 2 time state champion at 174 (I forget which state he was from). I’ve always rooted for them since then. 

I’m a fan of Minnesota and SDSU.

Since going to Big12’s in Tulsa last year I’ve become a bit of a fan of Okie St.  My wife and I sat near the Lewallens and they are great people.  They cheared louder for Kocer and Rotert in the finals than we did since they weren’t wrestling Cowboys.  We ended up taking a detour through Ponca City on our way home to have dinner with them.

Plus if TobusRex is a fan of the Pokes, than so am I.

Really enjoy watching the small private schools like Lehigh, Cornell, Harvard, Bucknell, etc.. due to their combination of academics and athletics. West Point, Naval Academy & Air Force are easy to cheer for because when they have an AA it's a true AA.  No redshirting, academics are a must and they still have to be great in athletics but they must also participate in the military aspect of the school.  Those young men & women that attend one of the military academies are truly special individuals.

Penn State fan first and always. The other team that I enjoy watching is Ohio State. That will make some other PSU fans cringe, but Ohio State comes closest to the style of wrestling I like. Matters not what their uniform says. 

48 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Penn State fan first and always. The other team that I enjoy watching is Ohio State. That will make some other PSU fans cringe, but Ohio State comes closest to the style of wrestling I like. Matters not what their uniform says. 

Another strike against you concerning you're PSU Fan club membership. You're already on probation due to the positive things you said about Iowa a few weeks ago. This is your final warning before you're membership card is officially revoked.

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Another strike against you concerning you're PSU Fan club membership. You're already on probation due to the positive things you said about Iowa a few weeks ago. This is your final warning before you're membership card is officially revoked.

Yeah, I'ma gonna be out of the club before ya know it. 

19 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Dude. You pick the only other team able to stockpile enough talent to win a team trophy and call it a wrestling style.  Can you possibly be a bigger db?

Edited by scribe

I like teams that figure out how to compete at a high level when they have some kind of handicap (academics, lack of funding, mediocre recruits etc)

missouri does the most with their recruits. They mostly source talent from Missouri, a non power wrestling state, and still are consistently top 10/top 5. 

Cornell can’t give scholarships and can only recruit kids with excellent academics. They still somehow consistently have title contenders and multiple AAs. Even when they occasionally land super recruits (Yianni), they maximize them. Yianni wasn’t a lock to win a title by any means, but Cornell figures out how to get him there as a true freshman. 

Campbell is a tiny school with no wrestling legacy. They had their first AA recently and are on the path to be the best team in SoCon. For them, that is incredible. 

2 hours ago, unbiased said:

Of course it is. Your moniker was a dead giveaway.

Well, it gives away that my favorite team is VT.  Not sure how it gives away that I also like Northern Iowa and Lehigh.

I forgot to throw in Appalachian State. They are a local team and that program has been solid for the last decade or so. I went to the same high school as Austin Trotman so I’ve always pulled for him in college and in senior level competition. I still wish he could’ve pulled off that improbable run to an NCAA championship. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, Zebra said:

I never root for or against teams. I'm more interested in individual wrestlers and their success. 

I think I agree with this sentiment.  I root for the local teams but outside of that I just have wrestlers I enjoy watching and/or rooting against.