Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

So the refs just let Conan Jennings keep wrestling after he passed out midmatch

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

If the kid passed out the match should've been stopped as a medical forfeit. Risking a wrestler's health for a wrestling match is a no no.

First off, it would be a default. Second, it sounds like they used the concussion protocol meaning he was examined by medical professionals.  Did he show further issues during the match or after? (Just asking- I have no agenda here)

Edited by gimpeltf

Jennings tried to roll and hit his head then got to his feet and was staggered from hitting his head and went down.So it's not like he just randomly passed out.I originally thought that and was like just Inj Def thinking it could be something serious then they showed a replay and it clearly showed him hitting his head on the roll

13 hours ago, justafan said:

Jennings tried to roll and hit his head then got to his feet and was staggered from hitting his head and went down.So it's not like he just randomly passed out.I originally thought that and was like just Inj Def thinking it could be something serious then they showed a replay and it clearly showed him hitting his head on the roll

Whether it was the head being hit or him just passing out, it doesn’t matter. Either way he shouldn’t wrestle the rest of the match. We are talking about his brain here. The risk is far too great. Honestly even if this was a R12 match they shouldn’t have let it continue, but at least there is an argument to make there. 

16 hours ago, jchapman said:

Can you give a little more detail?

He stumbled and passed out. The wrestlers weren’t touching each other. Right beforehand, it looks like he bumped his head on the mat but it didn’t look that serious. Could have happened from that, or could be just from exhaustion/dehydration. The two heavyweights were evenly matched and really pushing the pace in a scramble right beforehand. 

Either way, he stumbled and went completely unconscious. Letting them resume wrestling, even after going through concussion protocol, is irresponsible. 

From my interpretation, concussion protocol is designed to help determine whether a wrestler is fit to continue if there is a question (bumped his head/head butts) to make sure there is no damage. 

This wrestler passed out. No matter if he had a concussion or not (it appears not), that clearly isn’t the only risk here. Humans don’t often just pass out. It could be fine, but a 5 minute assessment focused on just checking for a concussion isn’t the right evaluation here. 

Wrestling is important. results matter, especially at this level. Me (terrible wrestler) wrestled through a match after dislocating my shoulder with my arm in a sling. That was dumb but i get why I did it. Worst case my shoulder gets messed up. There are no redos for the brain. We need to protect our athletes. 

8 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

He stumbled and passed out. The wrestlers weren’t touching each other. Right beforehand, it looks like he bumped his head on the mat but it didn’t look that serious. Could have happened from that, or could be just from exhaustion/dehydration. The two heavyweights were evenly matched and really pushing the pace in a scramble right beforehand. 

Either way, he stumbled and went completely unconscious. Letting them resume wrestling, even after going through concussion protocol, is irresponsible. 

So, your argument is that they should do away with the concussion protocol and if a wrestler shows concussion symptoms they should be forced to default?  what if the wrestler just stumbles and falls down accidentally and the ref interprets it incorrectly as a concussion? shouldn't medical staff make the call?

Edited by gromit

1 hour ago, gromit said:

So, your argument is that they should do away with the concussion protocol and if a wrestler shows concussion symptoms they should be forced to default?  what if the wrestler just stumbles and falls down accidentally and the ref interprets it incorrectly as a concussion? shouldn't medical staff make the call?

No. Concussion protocol is great and they should keep it, but it should be used to determine concussions. Meaning, if someone bumps their head and might have a concussion, they should use the protocol. I think the NCAA did an excellent job here.

However, in a case where a wrestler is showing other major symptoms (like literally passes out completely), concussion protocol alone isn't enough. Just because he doesn't have a concussion, doesn't mean he should continue wrestling. 

I'm suggesting additional rules are put in pace on top of concussion protocol and I expect coaches to do what is best for their athlete's long term health when it comes to brain trauma. In this case there was too much unknown and the coaches should never have allowed him back on the mat, whether the rule forces them to stop him or not.

He went through the concussion protocol and they said he was good. There was less than a minute left in the match anyways so there wasn't much risk. He was only down by 1 and on the off chance he steals it at the end it helps his Big10 seed.

Also, he didn't immediately keel over from his head hitting the mat. He slowed down but was still wrestling until a break in the action when he appeared dizzy and just fell backwards. I thought he was just having some conditioning issues after an intense exchange before I saw the head hit replay. From the video it doesn't look like you can say he actually passed out for sure or not.

1 hour ago, Relentless125 said:

He went through the concussion protocol and they said he was good. There was less than a minute left in the match anyways so there wasn't much risk. He was only down by 1 and on the off chance he steals it at the end it helps his Big10 seed.

Also, he didn't immediately keel over from his head hitting the mat. He slowed down but was still wrestling until a break in the action when he appeared dizzy and just fell backwards. I thought he was just having some conditioning issues after an intense exchange before I saw the head hit replay. From the video it doesn't look like you can say he actually passed out for sure or not.

Except we have seen people “pass” a concussion protocol administered by a trainer mat side only to miss future matches from the injury.