Old Corps

Bo’s Gesture of Sportsmanship

Bo Nickal has been offering a hand-up to opponents he’s just pinned. 

He appears sincere while doing so and I haven’t observed any opponents who’ve been offended by this gesture. 

I think our sport could use more of this; a return to a higher level of outward mutual respect among wrestlers. 

Dominating an opponent, putting on a show for the fans while displaying respect and good sportsmanship used to be the rule rather than the exception. 

It starts with parents and coaches. 

Food for thought. 

Bo is one of my favorite non Tar Heels to watch. He seems like he is the epitome of class. I completely agree with your sentiment about him seeming sincere and bringing great sportsmanship to every match. There are also some funny stories about him from teammates I’ve heard on podcasts. I look forward to seeing his career after college as well. 

44 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

Bo Nickal has been offering a hand-up to opponents he’s just pinned. 

He appears sincere while doing so and I haven’t observed any opponents who’ve been offended by this gesture. 

I think our sport could use more of this; a return to a higher level of outward mutual respect among wrestlers. 

Dominating an opponent, putting on a show for the fans while displaying respect and good sportsmanship used to be the rule rather than the exception. 

It starts with parents and coaches. 

Food for thought. 

Owings and Gable were both on their knees facing each other when the whistle blew ending their match.  Larry immediately extended his hand to Dan and helped him to his feet.  (It's at the 4:30 mark in the below video.)

2 minutes ago, cornercoach said:

.... not condescending at all- - I like when I see it in the NFL..... very cool.....

You see it a lot in college football as well. Shows good sportsmanship and expenditure of your energy to save a bit of energy of the opponent.

33 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

It really isn't a respectful gesture at all all. It's completely condescending. 

If someone pins Bo, and tries to help him up, and he takes it, I'll be very impressed.

Yea but you see everything as condescending.

When Mark Branch blew out his knee in the NCAA finals, as a heavy favorite, on his way to like an 8 month recovery, and he dragged himself unto the podium a few minutes later to endorse what must have felt like the ultimate tragedy of his life...that was sportsmanship. 

Fawning over every action degrades the concept, turning it into a bland little cliché that no one cares about. This participation trophy mentality is doing a lot of damage.

Edited by hammerlockthree

14 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

When Mark Branch blew out his knee in the NCAA finals, as a heavy favorite, on his way to like an 8 month recovery, and he dragged himself unto the podium a few minutes later to endorse what must have felt like the ultimate tragedy of his life...that was sportsmanship. 

Fawning over every action degrades the concept, turning it into a bland little cliché that no one cares about. This participation trophy mentality is doing a lot of damage.

I’m curious as to how you associate emphasizing sportsmanship and mutual respect among wrestlers with a “participation trophy mentality?”

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Because you have degraded an elevated concept by inserting it into the equivalent of a rock star thanking his fans. 

You should have to do more than not be a jerk to be praised. 

Like, for example, be humble in winning by extending a hand to your opponent?

I like what Bo does better than the guys who flex over their opponents and things of that sort after beating them.

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah so you are saying that anyone who isn't a complete a$$ is a role model....participation trophy thinking.

PS Bo participate in the behavior your are talking about when the stage is big enough but who cares.

So who are some "incomplete a$$es" that you consider role models currently wrestling?

Because you have degraded an elevated concept by inserting it into the equivalent of a rock star thanking his fans. 

You should have to do more than not be a jerk to be praised. 

I started wrestling in 1963. Sportsmanship was the #1 priority of every coach, team and parent that I was exposed to. Small gestures like helping your opponent up after you pinned him, giving him a nod of the head and a real handshake at the end of a match and going over to check on him if he injury defaulted were considered gestures of good sportsmanship. 

I’ve never seen Nickal act like a jerk. I don’t think he’s being disrespectful when he helps his opponent up. I also don’t think he’s seeking additional or undue praise. I do think he’s a good role model for young wrestlers to emulate  

I’d say the teams that have occupied the top spots at the NCAAs the past several years are led by coaches who seem to emphasize substance over image. 

In wrestling, as in most everything in life, class begets class.

As coaches and parents act, so act their wrestlers.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion.

Mine is that we need less UFC/WWE antics and more classy behavior in our sport. 

17 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Like, for example, be humble in winning by extending a hand to your opponent?

I like what Bo does better than the guys who flex over their opponents and things of that sort after beating them.

Concur!

4 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I didn't reference them! Heels did! I don't know who he is talking about, and you are supporting my point that Bo is not better a sportsman than anyone else who always wins.

I actually never called anyone a “complete a$$”. I simply stated I like guys better that help an opponent up when they win than flex over them. That’s not me calling anyone any names, just stating a preference. 

Edited by goheels1812

I didn't reference them! Heels did! I don't know how he is talking about, and you are supporting my point that Bo is not better a sportsman than anyone else who always wins.

You said his helping up his opponent was condescending. That's very different than being normal or nothing special. I never said anything about Bo being a tremendous sportsman, however you absolutely implied that he was being unsportsmanlike when helping up his opponent by saying the gesture was condescending.