Old Corps

Bo’s Gesture of Sportsmanship

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

old corps has 46 posts.....strikes me as a lifer.

I’ve been on the forum since 2004 or so.  Had another screen name but that account got deleted when they switched to the new forum. Never posted much at all.  

Lifer is an old term that is considered an insult by career Marines.

The appropriate descriptor is “Barrel-Chested Freedom Fighter”

3 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Do you know any Barrel-Chested Freedom Fighters who would rather be left alone after being pinned?

Depends on the situation. 

Wresting match...sportsmanship prevails. 

Battlefield...when your opponent reaches toward you, you pull him downward toward your kabar.  

Good sportsmanship or condescension?: 

Brands didn't appreciate it, and I'm not sure what Cross intended with the head rub. But, Cross always had this post match ritual when he won:

These Russians did not take the head rub the way Brands did. 

^^^^

I think Cross was trying to show respect for Brands, who obviously wasn't in the mood to receive such a gesture. 

We can find countless examples of good and poor sportsmanship in our sport, often from the same individuals.

I care less about what's happened and more about what could happen if our athletes were taught well.

It's hard for me to decide if it is a good gesture or not.  On one hand, I don't see how ANYONE who just got beat in the worst way the sport allows, would want that guy to now pull him up off the mat.  In fact, it is that much harder to even shake his hand when you inevitably want to get the hell out of there, especially at the DI level.  A DI level wrestler getting pinned can destroy the psyche.  Remember, these guys are at the apex of Folkstyle wrestling.  Many of them rarely, if ever, were put on their backs coming into College, let alone stuck.  Now, that isn't to say it isn't a genuine gesture, it just can easily be viewed mockingly by the loser in that situation.

Also, the comparison to a football player being helped up after the play is over is not even in the same stratosphere.  Especially an offensive skill position.  They are EXPECTING to get tackled and are about to get back up and do it over and over again......

On the one hand, Bo definitely flexes on people sometimes (doing the Hulk Hogan hand-to-ear thing to the Iowa crowd; his speech after pinning Myles Martin in the national finals).  On the other, I don't know that Cael would tolerate such a direct and deliberate flex on a vanquished foe. 

I'm undecided as to whether this is a flex or sportsmanship...

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

It's hard for me to decide if it is a good gesture or not.  On one hand, I don't see how ANYONE who just got beat in the worst way the sport allows, would want that guy to now pull him up off the mat.  In fact, it is that much harder to even shake his hand when you inevitably want to get the hell out of there, especially at the DI level.  A DI level wrestler getting pinned can destroy the psyche.  Remember, these guys are at the apex of Folkstyle wrestling.  Many of them rarely, if ever, were put on their backs coming into College, let alone stuck.  Now, that isn't to say it isn't a genuine gesture, it just can easily be viewed mockingly by the loser in that situation.

Yeah maybe  correct, everyone should behave like Terry Brands and if you lose refuse to shake hands and just crawl off the mat or perhaps the M Zadick approach if  in a tournament be sure and run across everyone else's mat on your way to the locker room cause that way those watching the other matches will know you lost.  Yeah ... that's the ticket ... that's what a true sportsman would do, shaking hands is for ...  ?    ;_;

Edited by ionel

As an official, I cringe when a kid offers his hand to help a pinned opponent up, especially if it was a heated match.  I usually tell the kid not to bother, just to go to the center.  I have seen some ticked off kids in these situations... and that is only at the high school level.

I really enjoy watching Nickal wrestle. Wide open and technically sound. Based on interviews I've seen, he also seems genuine/self-possessed, despite a couple adrenaline bursts following huge moves/matches. I think one question here (which has been posed in various ways) is whether it's more 'sporting' to help a vanquished opponent off the mat after completely dominating him or whether it's more sporting to let someone help you off the mat after being complete dominated yourself. In my experience, the former is much easier than the latter, and thus 'less' sporting--though I do think helping someone off the mat is a sign of good will and good sportsmanship in general.

14 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

when his chips are down and he does it, praise him then.

Is it good sportsmanship when Nolf nicely puts the ankle bands on the line?

He does it not just when he wins, but he also did it when he lost to Imar in the NCAA finals as well as James Green at the Scuffle

Edited by BigTenFanboy

26 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

Nolf showed excellent sportsmanship when he TF'd his teammate & friend in a couple of minutes.  

You ever have to wrestle a buddy? It can be a tough go. In grade school I had a friend that won a couple novice tourneys (open tourneys that I didn't attend). I'd never won a trophy before and was kinda jealous. Anyway had to wrestle Randy in the finals of a tournament. Randy came up to me about a half an hour before the match and ASKED ME TO LET HIM WIN. I asked why I'd do something like that and he said his father was there and would be disappointed if he lost. I told him MY father was there too and would be disappointed if I lost. Long story short, beat him 11-3.  Man I felt happy I won, but really bad that Randy was unhappy. Mixed feelings. I bet Nolf feels the same way this week.