Old Corps

Bo’s Gesture of Sportsmanship

I would probably find it condescending if it happened to me, but that doesn't mean Bo means it condescendingly.  Plus, it's hard to call Bo a great example of  the classical definition of sportsmanship given his previous history with celebrations/rants.  That doesn't bother me in the least, he may be my favorite wrestler to watch in the country, he really puts on a show.

50 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

You ever have to wrestle a buddy? It can be a tough go. In grade school I had a friend that won a couple novice tourneys (open tourneys that I didn't attend). I'd never won a trophy before and was kinda jealous. Anyway had to wrestle Randy in the finals of a tournament. Randy came up to me about a half an hour before the match and ASKED ME TO LET HIM WIN. I asked why I'd do something like that and he said his father was there and would be disappointed if he lost. I told him MY father was there too and would be disappointed if I lost. Long story short, beat him 11-3.  Man I felt happy I won, but really bad that Randy was unhappy. Mixed feelings. I bet Nolf feels the same way this week.

I Randy's old man gave him  the beating he deserved when he got home.  That is on you.

57 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I would probably find it condescending if it happened to me, but that doesn't mean Bo means it condescendingly.  Plus, it's hard to call Bo a great example of  the classical definition of sportsmanship given his previous history with celebrations/rants.  That doesn't bother me in the least, he may be my favorite wrestler to watch in the country, he really puts on a show.

This. I don’t think it is necessarily intended as condescending but I notice this behavior doesn’t extend itself to big matches (NCAA finals, pin over Brooks in dual).

Didn't he toss his headgear after the finals last year?  I may be mistaken.  

Regardless, he seems like a decent guy.  I don't buy into what people say or don't say during interviews much though.  People have learned to say what they think certain fans want to hear. 

I was only pinned once in college but I did get teched a few times.  I wouldn't have wanted help getting up.  I remember extending a hand to hopelessly outmatched opponents at the high school level because it was awkward.  Being on the receiving end of that in college was a humbling experience.  I wouldn't refuse it but I get why some would in the heat of the moment.  

I think a good sign of sportsmanship is the handshake following the match.  How many barely shake, slap the hand, refuse to face their opponent or look at them following a loss for instance?  They are already running off the mat while the ref holds them there in an awkward tug of war.  There are exceptions where bad calls are involved and wrestlers just need to get away and make sense of it but most of the time it is just an athlete upset about losing.   Composing yourself for the handshake while your opponent's hand is raised shows more to me  than winning and running all over the mat thanking opposing coaches and refs with handshakes which I never really understood.   

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Yeah maybe  correct, everyone should behave like Terry Brands and if you lose refuse to shake hands and just crawl off the mat or perhaps the M Zadick approach if  in a tournament be sure and run across everyone else's mat on your way to the locker room cause that way those watching the other matches will know you lost.  Yeah ... that's the ticket ... that's what a true sportsman would do, shaking hands is for ...  ?    ;_;

Not what I said at ALLLLLL.  I didn't say you should refuse to shake hands.  I said very few DI wrestlers(especially those that mostly win) want to shake hands immediately after getting pinned, let alone have the guy that just did it grab your hand and lift you off the mat after.  It can be perceived as mocking, even if it isn't.  As far as the handshake goes, it is required so you do your best to maintain your composure, show the victor respect and then make an acceptable b-line to where you can handle your emotions without being judged.........

How many handshakes are actually real?  Usually, they just touch hands on the fly and the vanquished runs off to do whatever it is they do when they lose.  Folkstyle should be like freestyle where they humiliate you by requiring you to hold hands and be pirouetted around in the direction the ref chooses.  That choice is  always the opposite direction you want, so they get to tell you what to do one last time.

6 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Is it good sportsmanship when Nolf nicely puts the ankle bands on the line?

He does it not just when he wins, but he also did it when he lost to Imar in the NCAA finals as well as James Green at the Scuffle

Does that count as sportsmanship? 

I think its admirable that he stuck to his bizarre little discipline.

12 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah I like that. 

People who are great sportsmen, like Nolf, are very disciplined about their outward appearance all the time, Nickal is not that guy. He's not bad, he just isn't great. 

Agree.

And to clarify, I never said that Nickal was the epitome of what sportsmanship in wrestling looks like. I started the thread in recognition of his gesture of offering opponents a hand up and that I liked it and thought our sport could use more actions like it.

I watched Bo offer to help up Moore last night and thought of this thread. It conceivably could be a move to rub his opponents face in the dirt but If it is he hides it well. It looks like a gesture coming from sportsmanship and respect. He competes his tail off until the match ends and then respects his opponent graciously. 

8 minutes ago, cornercoach said:

..... definitely sportsmanship- and that cradle finish was like a scene from the original "Jaws".......he went after it!!!! ............

What I was thinking...he looked like a lion lying in wait that saw a sudden opening and pounced on a gazelle. 

8 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

If we're going to say DeSanto is on the spectrum, then we must also say that Nolf is too.  Message board diagnoses must be consistent.  

Why, because placing anklets neatly at center is the same as throat slashing and kimura attempting? Weird take.

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Why, because placing anklets neatly at center is the same as throat slashing and kimura attempting? Weird take.

If you're looking at ASD, then actually no.  The prior is more consistent with the diagnosis.    

8 hours ago, AIW-HS said:

I watched Bo offer to help up Moore last night and thought of this thread. It conceivably could be a move to rub his opponents face in the dirt but If it is he hides it well. It looks like a gesture coming from sportsmanship and respect. He competes his tail off until the match ends and then respects his opponent graciously. 

Couldn’t really tell, it looked like Moore didn’t accept it right?