NJDan

Facility creep

A few years back, Cornell was said to have a recruiting advantage because it had a stand-alone wrestling facility, the Friedman Center. Now it seems a bunch of schools are building one. Where is all this building money coming from?

Just now, NJDan said:

A few years back, Cornell was said to have a recruiting advantage because it had a stand-alone wrestling facility, the Friedman Center. Now it seems a bunch of schools are building one. Where is all this building money coming from?

PSU isnt the only program with a slushfund. Other programs are just better at hiding theres.

I don’t know the laws or regulations. 

Isn’t it permissible for alumni and other donors to make large contributions toward specific projects like these newer wrestling facilities?

If so, I can’t see the harm in a program having the very best facility that donor money can buy.

I'm not sure what the issue is here either. These facilities are generally named after the major donor. In the case of PSU, it was well known who donated and he had the redsigned room named after his former teammate and the later coach.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's good. it's just a bit surprising since the sport seems to have money problems. Of course, that would not prevent it having pockets of wealth.

12 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Are we saying the top wrestlers won’t sign with a college if the school doesn’t have a pretty wrestling room?

I doubt that alone would prevent anyone from signing. However, walking into a beautiful wrestling facility on a recruiting trip, versus walking into a practice room that looks like your high school room, would probably make some sort of impact.

1 hour ago, luckysevens said:

I doubt that alone would prevent anyone from signing. However, walking into a beautiful wrestling facility on a recruiting trip, versus walking into a practice room that looks like your high school room, would probably make some sort of impact.

I wonder what the Greeks would think. Remember they wrestled naked and on dirt.

Edited by gowrestle

15 hours ago, NJDan said:

Where is all this building money coming from?

private and public donation, school funds.

not sure where all this other crap in this thread is coming from.  pretty easy question.

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

The greeks wrestled in the shadow of the statue of Zeus at Olympia, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. (well sort of in the shadow)

About a year ago, I think, Lock Haven U announced they had purchased the now retired LHHS buildings, and would be turning the gymnasium into an athletic training facility,  including making it the main "Wrestling Room".  It was uncertain/unclear if any LHU duals would occur there. I don't know much about the building (now replaced by Central Mountain HS), was never in it. Closest was when the old 16 team LHHS invitational was being held there, they had a 4 team HS B-Ball Tournament at the HS (remember seeing Milford Pittman at the wrestling tournament, not officiating, and he explained he had some open time because his son was playing in the Basketball event.) (1 mile away Bald Eagle Nittany was holding their Xmas tournament, the oldest in the state.)(BENhs and Renovo hs combined with LHhs to become Central Mountain HS - also Sugar Valley hs, but they were so far away the formed a charter school in the last decade)

Any way, the LHU athletics website does not mention anything about the "new" facility. Anyone know any more.

10 minutes ago, RichB said:

About a year ago, I think, Lock Haven U announced they had purchased the now retired LHHS buildings, and would be turning the gymnasium into an athletic training facility,  including making it the main "Wrestling Room".  It was uncertain/unclear if any LHU duals would occur there. I don't know much about the building (now replaced by Central Mountain HS), was never in it. Closest was when the old 16 team LHHS invitational was being held there, they had a 4 team HS B-Ball Tournament at the HS (remember seeing Milford Pittman at the wrestling tournament, not officiating, and he explained he had some open time because his son was playing in the Basketball event.) (1 mile away Bald Eagle Nittany was holding their Xmas tournament, the oldest in the state.)(BENhs and Renovo hs combined with LHhs to become Central Mountain HS - also Sugar Valley hs, but they were so far away the formed a charter school in the last decade)

Any way, the LHU athletics website does not mention anything about the "new" facility. Anyone know any more.

There was a lot of talk last year. I think the enthusiasm has been tempered because of the challenge of coming up with the funds. 

27 minutes ago, RichB said:

Yeah with many schools within the PSAC money is tight. Also I believe Title IX is coming into play up there and slowing the building process. 

On 1/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, gowrestle said:

They also won money and women which is no longer the case. 

14 minutes ago, Zebra said:

They also won money and women which is no longer the case. 

And they didn't know any better.  Make sure your child has no clue what chocolate or any form of candy is until they are 12 or so.  See what happens when they are able to eat it for the first time!

Granted, there may be a select few that would still like to wrestle naked and in the dirt.............

23 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

And they didn't know any better.  Make sure your child has no clue what chocolate or any form of candy is until they are 12 or so.  See what happens when they are able to eat it for the first time!

Granted, there may be a select few that would still like to wrestle naked and in the dirt.............

I'm not sure I get the connection between my comment and yours. 

23 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I'm not sure I get the connection between my comment and yours. 

I was adding on to your response to gowrestle's.  You explained what they won and I explained, more or less,  why they did it that way(admittedly adding an attempt at humor).

For clarity, meaning that they wrestled in the dirt because that was really their only option.  If there were stadiums with amenities closer to today's standards, I would think most, given the option, would gravitate to the latter.

Edited by MSU158