gowrestle

Steveson’s Behavior

20 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

It has ALWAYS been part of a refs job. Teams/wrestlers/coaches can get charged with unsportsmanlike conduct at any time. The refs authority is not just limited to the mat during individual matches.

It's the referee's job to look for such unsportsmanlike conduct?  Or just do something if it is observed?  If a wrestler goes into the stands thirty minutes after his match and gets into a fight with his girlfriend, what is the referee supposed to do?  Is there some rulebook that covers this?

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

The kid hasn't even turned 19 yet... this is just him trying to establish himself as the bully, rather than the freshman that's going to get pushed around.  

He probably takes it a little too far at times, but I think he'll dial it back over time.  

Just like Dake and Yianni (to use examples with which I'm familiar) did as freshmen, right?  I would have thought the way to establish that you won't get pushed around was to win.

As long as an athlete complies with the rules, I have no objections.

A second issue is the culture surrounding folkstyle wrestling. It appears to me to be dominated by moralism, provincial arrogance, Evangelical Christianity, conformity, and a suspicion of emotions. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

Edited by Katie

3 minutes ago, klehner said:

Just like Dake and Yianni (to use examples with which I'm familiar) did as freshmen, right?  I would have thought the way to establish that you won't get pushed around was to win.

Well, I think a true freshman competing at heavyweight is a slightly different situation.  Again, I'd like him to dial it back some, but don't think it's really that big of a deal.

Also, Dake was a bully (in a good way), and Steveson is winning.  

4 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

I don't get this new belief that we need villains in wrestling to get more fans. When I don't like the person, I don't pay attention to them. Pretty weird if you do. I think this actually does more harm than good. Having been a fan of Minnesota in that past I'm less and less interested in watching them or seeing this kid in my newsfeed all the time.

After watching the extreme disrespect shown by Steveson at 4:10 I'm very impressed with the Rutgers kid for not elbowing or hauling off and hitting him. That would've definitely pissed me off. 

Yeah definitely weird to be interested in a villain, thats why I only go see super hero movies with just the good guys in it. In any sport, its always more entertaining to have someone to root against.

28 minutes ago, klehner said:

It's the referee's job to look for such unsportsmanlike conduct?  Or just do something if it is observed?  If a wrestler goes into the stands thirty minutes after his match and gets into a fight with his girlfriend, what is the referee supposed to do?  Is there some rulebook that covers this?

If that happens, the kid can be kicked out of the tournament. I've seen things like that happen.

1 minute ago, Katie said:

A second issue is the culture surrounding wrestling. It appears to me to be dominated by moralism, provincial arrogance, Evangelical Christianity, conformity, and a suspicion of emotions. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

Wrestling is a global sport with several different Religions, provincial makeup's and several cultures to conform to. Good and bad sportsmanship can be found anywhere.  If a wrestler is intent on acting like a tool some people are going to love it and others are going to hate it.      Gable clowning on the RU kid was a pathetic display.  Barry Sanders after scoring a every touchdown would toss the ball to the ref.   while, most other players took the opportunity to choreograph dances, show excitement, or taunt the other team.  Vince Lombardi once said “when you get into the endzone, act like you’ve been there before”.  The takeaway is in the value of consistent humility.         

10 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Wrestling is a global sport with several different Religions, provincial makeup's and several cultures to conform to. Good and bad sportsmanship can be found anywhere.  If a wrestler is intent on acting like a tool some people are going to love it and others are going to hate it.      Gable clowning on the RU kid was a pathetic display.  Barry Sanders after scoring a every touchdown would toss the ball to the ref.   while, most other players took the opportunity to choreograph dances, show excitement, or taunt the other team.  Vince Lombardi once said “when you get into the endzone, act like you’ve been there before”.  The takeaway is in the value of consistent humility.         

Just a note to say I was referring to folkstyle wrestling. I added the term “folkstyle” to my original post.

There are two sides to the argument, as most have already pointed out. College wrestling is an interesting dynamic in that it is close to a bar fight, and at the same time many who have been around for a while feel a certain class needs to be shown. I have never been one for excessive showboating but at the same time I don't think there is anything wrong with having some fun. Wrestling is also unique in that there are not "breaks" in the action. Volleyball, Soccer, Football, Baseball, and even Basketball there are opportunities for moments of celebration. Because of this most don't think twice about it. Wrestling doesn't provide this, so I think what Gable is doing is seen differently. Even if he loses, so what? It might humble him but I don't think if he loses it should be a "well you shouldn't have celebrated mid-match"

There also may be a part with Gable specifically that people feel like he hasn't earned his keep yet, or he hasn't been around long enough. He is new to the college scene, but he is by no means new to the wrestling. Some of his accomplishments already would be considered better than a NC to those outside of college wrestling.  

To those who have no problem with what Gable did and when others do something similar, if he/they didn't do those things do you think that wrestling would be missing out on entertainment? Would you even go as far as to say the sport would be worse without these antics?

33 minutes ago, Katie said:

Just a note to say I was referring to folkstyle wrestling. I added the term “folkstyle” to my original post.

It makes no difference to my point.   Did you notice I used two football references?     Good or poor Sportsmanship can be found pretty much everywhere.   Folk, Free, Football, Soccer, Badminton a poor sport is a poor sport.   Metcalf was a poor sport always trying to humiliate his opponent.   Gable is the same way, he can choose to win with class or be an a**

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

4:10 was probably the worst offense in this match, but also several instances of gestures/whining because Colucci was stalling (which he was, but some of the time Gable wasn’t doing much either).

There may not be any one thing he’s done that’s been egregious, but it certainly seems like a trend at this point. I definitely don’t love it, but it does seem like he kinda wants to be the villain so if it gets more people interested (likely to root against him) then I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world.

its college wrestling.  if you have a problem with this, go watch basketball. its a foul there. 

Plenty of dudes here with a stick up there “you know what” if you ask me. 

My sophomore year I wrestled a kid in a dual, who had been on my junior high club team. He was wrestling very conservatively with the intent to avoid bonus. I wanted to get him to open up so I crossfaced him HARD. I gave up a point for unnecessary roughness, which was well deserved, he opened up and I went on to secure the major decision. He dropped to 105 and finished second in the state while I went on to win the title at 112. 

With that said, Gable’s actions are fine. 

23 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

It makes no difference to my point.   Did you notice I used two football references?     Good or poor Sportsmanship can be found pretty much everywhere.   Folk, Free, Football, Soccer, Badminton a poor sport is a poor sport.   Metcalf was a poor sport always trying to humiliate his opponent.   Gable is the same way, he can choose to win with class or be an a**

I wasn’t responding to your post. Just letting you know that I was referring to folkstyle wrestling.

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Steveson isn’t doing anything against the rules. If the Rutgers kid had hit him, he would’ve been DQd and possibly punished by the ncaa. 

I could’ve seen him being called for unsportsmanlike on those head pushups, and it looked like the last one was after time expired.   He certainly didn’t look to be setting anything up with those, especially considering he probably knew time was winding down.

multiple reports across the nation of kids being on someone's lawn...

gable is getting the exact reaction out of you people that he is seeking... marks... the lot of you...

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I could’ve seen him being called for unsportsmanlike on those head pushups, and it looked like the last one was after time expired.   He certainly didn’t look to be setting anything up with those, especially considering he probably knew time was winding down.

Fair enough. I tend to side with refs who let the wrestler’s wrestle unless they blatantly break the rules. 

3 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

He was a better actor in this match..   

Is it bad I can’t tell if you’re trying to say if he displayed good or bad sportsmanship in this match?  I’d say no based on his laying on the mat for 15 seconds.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

A second issue is the culture surrounding folkstyle wrestling. It appears to me to be dominated by moralism, provincial arrogance, Evangelical Christianity, conformity, and a suspicion of emotions. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

Not to mention self control and discipline generally associated with Eastern cultures and martial arts.  Or is that provincial arrogance, too?

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is it bad I can’t tell if you’re trying to say if he displayed good or bad sportsmanship in this match?  I’d say no based on his laying on the mat for 15 seconds.

I didn't see an ounce of arrogance or bad sportsmanship in that match against the Uzbek. Even when he was ahead, because even though he has beaten the guy before he knew he was in for a battle.    

4 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I didn't see an ounce of arrogance or bad sportsmanship in that match against the Uzbek. Even when he was ahead, because even though he has beaten the guy before he knew he was in for a battle.    

So he only does it when he knows he will dominate the guy.