gowrestle

Steveson’s Behavior

10 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

I don't get this new belief that we need villains in wrestling to get more fans. When I don't like the person, I don't pay attention to them. Pretty weird if you do. I think this actually does more harm than good. Having been a fan of Minnesota in that past I'm less and less interested in watching them or seeing this kid in my newsfeed all the time.

After watching the extreme disrespect shown by Steveson at 4:10 I'm very impressed with the Rutgers kid for not elbowing or hauling off and hitting him. That would've definitely pissed me off. 

I'm not sure if I'd call Stevenson a "villain" at this point.  There's a line between being flashy and being an ******* and I don't think he's figured out which side of that line he's going to be on. But I'm with you on not getting behind the whole "wrestling needs villains" mindset.  I'm sure Flo gets more clicks when they can put up an article about something a wrestler everyone hates but those clicks are coming from people that are already fans.  Nobody extra is going to duals, watching on TV, etc just because they know a wrestler that's known to be an ******* is going to be there. 

4 hours ago, nyum said:

Plenty of dudes here with a stick up there “you know what” if you ask me. 

My sophomore year I wrestled a kid in a dual, who had been on my junior high club team. He was wrestling very conservatively with the intent to avoid bonus. I wanted to get him to open up so I crossfaced him HARD. I gave up a point for unnecessary roughness, which was well deserved, he opened up and I went on to secure the major decision. He dropped to 105 and finished second in the state while I went on to win the title at 112. 

With that said, Gable’s actions are fine. 

Cool story bro.  Tell it again.  

The kid is a jackass.  Reflects poorly on Eggum and the Gophers.   Easy enough for anyone to see.   Fun to watch him lose to the Uzbek.  

14 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

I'm not sure if I'd call Stevenson a "villain" at this point.  There's a line between being flashy and being an ******* and I don't think he's figured out which side of that line he's going to be on. But I'm with you on not getting behind the whole "wrestling needs villains" mindset.  I'm sure Flo gets more clicks when they can put up an article about something a wrestler everyone hates but those clicks are coming from people that are already fans.  Nobody extra is going to duals, watching on TV, etc just because they know a wrestler that's known to be an ******* is going to be there. 

This. People who enjoy the antics will tune in... those who don't wont.. but its not going to get outsiders to tune in.

24 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Stevenson is not a villain in fact no one on these here forums has a problem with Stevenson. 

5 hours ago, nyum said:

Plenty of dudes here with a stick up there “you know what” if you ask me. 

My sophomore year I wrestled a kid in a dual, who had been on my junior high club team. He was wrestling very conservatively with the intent to avoid bonus. I wanted to get him to open up so I crossfaced him HARD. I gave up a point for unnecessary roughness, which was well deserved, he opened up and I went on to secure the major decision. He dropped to 105 and finished second in the state while I went on to win the title at 112. 

With that said, Gable’s actions are fine. 

Unless there was some kind of prior beef between Steveson and Colucci, Steveson's antics were totally uncalled for.  I know Steveson is a star and talents like him don't come around very often, but did you ever see Cael act that way?  Burroughs?  Snyder?  Just not necessary to be a great wrestler.  

8 hours ago, Katie said:

As long as an athlete complies with the rules, I have no objections.

A second issue is the culture surrounding folkstyle wrestling. It appears to me to be dominated by moralism, provincial arrogance, Evangelical Christianity, conformity, and a suspicion of emotions. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

Well said and I’ve thought the same thing for some time (about the Christian thing).   I’ve often wondered if that’s one of the reasons many recent top recruits in the state of MN go elsewhere for college.  The Gophers talk religion so much.    

Edited by tommygun

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Cool story bro.  Tell it again.  

The kid is a jackass.  Reflects poorly on Eggum and the Gophers.   Easy enough for anyone to see.   Fun to watch him lose to the Uzbek.  

Nah you can just read it over again.  

Everyone says wrestling is 99% mental. Part of the mental game is to break your opponents composure anyway within the rules. But then people like you create artificial boundaries regarding behavior and tactics.

1 hour ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Unless there was some kind of prior beef between Steveson and Colucci, Steveson's antics were totally uncalled for.  I know Steveson is a star and talents like him don't come around very often, but did you ever see Cael act that way?  Burroughs?  Snyder?  Just not necessary to be a great wrestler.  

It has nothing to do with him being a star. 

Antics don’t need to be called for. 

I don’t think Gable gives a crap how Cael, Snyder, or Burroughs would act. If he did, he probably would have gone to one of tOSU, PSU, or Nebraska. 

The same people that chastise Stevenson and want his antics removed from the sport are the same people who wonder why wrestling is not as popular as it should be. UFC antics keep viewers entertained adding intrigue and viewership. Love Stevenson or hate him, it doesn't necessarily matter. The only piece of data on the topic that is relevant is that we expended 3 pages talking about him. 

'I don't care what you think,
As long as it's about me'

keep it coming 

Edited by Banana Peterson

12 minutes ago, Banana Peterson said:

The same people that chastise Stevenson and want his antics removed from the sport are the same people who wonder why wrestling is not as popular as it should be. UFC antics keep viewers entertained adding intrigue and viewership. Love Stevenson or hate him, it doesn't necessarily matter. The only piece of data on the topic that is relevant is that we expended 3 pages talking about him. 

keep it coming 

You think wrestling would be more popular if there was more of the showboating antics? I disagree.

4 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

I didn't see an ounce of arrogance or bad sportsmanship in that match against the Uzbek. Even when he was ahead, because even though he has beaten the guy before he knew he was in for a battle.    

Lol he didn’t have a chance to be arrogant. He got one score and then got pinned.  IMO laying on the mat for 15 seconds is certainly not “good” sportsmanship.  Not really sportsmanship related but it also looks like he gave up before the fall was actually called.

My personal opinion is that Steveson is wasting his time with college wrestling and should consider going straight to the Olympic Training Center.  He's going to dominate most of his competition for four years with only a handful of guys capable of giving him a match.  

6 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

My personal opinion is that Steveson is wasting his time with college wrestling and should consider going straight to the Olympic Training Center.  He's going to dominate most of his competition for four years with only a handful of guys capable of giving him a match.  

There is that whole "value of a college education" thing.   

So many guys go to the NBA or NFL without really getting a true education.  In turn, their speaking, reading, and writing skills as well as their understanding of many important issues and ideas never fully develop.  They are often crippled in later life.  There are some things more significant than succeeding at a sport or making lots of money.

I once had a kid in a course I taught who was drafted by the NBA (and played there for a while).  He only showed up to two classes the entire semester.  The coaches then tried to "persuade" me and the Department that he should pass.   

But, okay, I suppose Steveson could still possibly get a college education (of sorts) while at the OTC.  

7 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

But, okay, I suppose Steveson could still possibly get a college education (of sorts) while at the OTC.  

possibly?

condescend much?

59 minutes ago, Banana Peterson said:

The same people that chastise Stevenson and want ... Love Stevenson or hate him, it doesn't necessarily matter

keep it coming 

No one on these here forums is chastising Stevenson and no one loves or hates him, all are pretty much indifferent toward Stevenson. 

17 minutes ago, LJB said:

possibly?

condescend much?

It's not about condescension.  You obviously know little to nothing about academics or university life.   As Sanderson once asked Pyles, "Do you have a plan?" Online courses?