gowrestle

Steveson’s Behavior

I just think Steveson wants to put on a show and when guys go out, turtle up, hug the edges he gonna make a fool out of you.

I read somewhere that before the RU match the Rutgers kid was staring him down and talking a little trash. I have no clue if that’s true or not. If so, wrong guy to do that to. I see Gable as a bulletin board guy and if he even feels the slightest slight he gonna make you miserable.

IF Stoll does take the mat I think it’ll be ugly for the Big man from Iowa. I’m sure Gable takes it as a slight that some rankers still have Stoll #1

Wrestle him, go hard and I doubt you see these antics.

We’ll see..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it. It gets in his opponent’s head. once it is go time he uses all tools he has available as he should  

This will help the sport. He wants to be a villain and people are talking about him. Imagine if he does that in the ncaa finals and wins by tech! He is going to be on Sportscenter. 

2 hours ago, pish6969 said:

I just think Steveson wants to put on a show and when guys go out, turtle up, hug the edges he gonna make a fool out of you.

I read somewhere that before the RU match the Rutgers kid was staring him down and talking a little trash. I have no clue if that’s true or not. If so, wrong guy to do that to. I see Gable as a bulletin board guy and if he even feels the slightest slight he gonna make you miserable.

IF Stoll does take the mat I think it’ll be ugly for the Big man from Iowa. I’m sure Gable takes it as a slight that some rankers still have Stoll #1

Wrestle him, go hard and I doubt you see these antics.

We’ll see..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Against Derek White in the start of the season White did no staredown, had no extra-curriculars, and never did anything like turtling up.  White just got beat.  Stevenson still went to the rope-a-dope dancing.  I have no problem with it, but we can't pretend it's all frustration at opponents inactivity or retaliation at opponents trash talk.  He's just a guy enjoying himself and putting on a show and trying to be a star.  Some like it and some don't.  To each their own.  But lets not pretend it's brought on by his opponents.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

What happened?

4:10 was probably the worst offense in this match, but also several instances of gestures/whining because Colucci was stalling (which he was, but some of the time Gable wasn’t doing much either).

There may not be any one thing he’s done that’s been egregious, but it certainly seems like a trend at this point. I definitely don’t love it, but it does seem like he kinda wants to be the villain so if it gets more people interested (likely to root against him) then I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world.

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

There may not be any one thing he’s done that’s been egregious, but it certainly seems like a trend at this point. I definitely don’t love it, but it does seem like he kinda wants to be the villain so if it gets more people interested (likely to root against him) then I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world.

I don't get this new belief that we need villains in wrestling to get more fans. When I don't like the person, I don't pay attention to them. Pretty weird if you do. I think this actually does more harm than good. Having been a fan of Minnesota in that past I'm less and less interested in watching them or seeing this kid in my newsfeed all the time.

After watching the extreme disrespect shown by Steveson at 4:10 I'm very impressed with the Rutgers kid for not elbowing or hauling off and hitting him. That would've definitely pissed me off. 

1 hour ago, Relentless125 said:

after watching the extreme disrespect shown by Steveson at 4:10 I'm very impressed with the Rutgers kid for not elbowing or hauling off and hitting him. That would've definitely pissed me off. 

Extreme disrespect?  The guy wasnt moving at all, and he pulled his head down a few times. 

2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

I don't get this new belief that we need villains in wrestling to get more fans. When I don't like the person, I don't pay attention to them. Pretty weird if you do. I think this actually does more harm than good. Having been a fan of Minnesota in that past I'm less and less interested in watching them or seeing this kid in my newsfeed all the time.

After watching the extreme disrespect shown by Steveson at 4:10 I'm very impressed with the Rutgers kid for not elbowing or hauling off and hitting him. That would've definitely pissed me off. 

I wouldn’t say wrestling “needs” villains, but people love rooting against them (in all sports).

3 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Steveson isn’t doing anything against the rules. If the Rutgers kid had hit him, he would’ve been DQd and possibly punished by the ncaa. 

3 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

It is common across all mainstream sports and especially common in combat sports. It builds the storyline and hype. It works. 

We want our sport to grow and our athletes to make money but get mad when they do the very things that lead to this. Results are only a part of the equation. 

2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Agreed.

As I said in the Bo Nickal thread, our sport needs less UFC/WWE antics.

Steveson is very talented, but he's setting himself up for a fall and that fall will come eventually. 

I agree that his behavior of 4:10 is disrespectful and if I was the ref, I'd have hit him for such.

This kid is going to have to realize that he's going to face a lot of opponents who clam up and just try to keep the score close on him. This is what happens to most of the dominant wrestlers (Dake, Steiber, Retherford, etc.)  - most opponents won't really open up against them for fear of being completely dominated. He needs to let the ref handle opponents who are stalling.

Also, he seems to think it is ok to do things that demean or insult an opponent. Somewhere along the line he was taught this was ok, or he started doing it on his own and his coaches allowed him to do it. I'd say that his behavior will become even worse as he becomes more frustrated with lesser opponents or if he's actually trying to become a WWE-style "villian." It's only a matter of time that public sentiment starts to go against him in a big way, including many Minny fans who will eventually think (I wish he wouldn't act like that) and the refs start calling him out quickly for anything that comes even close to crossing the line of acceptable behavior and sportsmanship. 

In his defense, he's very young and his maturity doesn't yet match his incredible level of talent. 

If ever there was a situation in which coaches and mentors should get heavily involved in shaping an athlete's attitude and behavior as much as his actual wrestling ability and technique, this is one.

He needs leadership. 

If he gets it and responds well to it, I believe Steveson could become one of the best ever in our sport.

I'm truly hoping this happens.

2 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

Agreed.

As I said in the Bo Nickal thread, our sport needs less UFC/WWE antics.

Steveson is very talented, but he's setting himself up for a fall and that fall will come eventually. 

I agree that his behavior of 4:10 is disrespectful and if I was the ref, I'd have hit him for such.

This kid is going to have to realize that he's going to face a lot of opponents who clam up and just try to keep the score close on him. This is what happens to most of the dominant wrestlers (Dake, Steiber, Retherford, etc.)  - most opponents won't really open up against them for fear of being completely dominated. He needs to let the ref handle opponents who are stalling.

Also, he seems to think it is ok to do things that demean or insult an opponent. Somewhere along the line he was taught this was ok, or he started doing it on his own and his coaches allowed him to do it. I'd say that his behavior will become even worse as he becomes more frustrated with lesser opponents or if he's actually trying to become a WWE-style "villian." It's only a matter of time that public sentiment starts to go against him in a big way, including many Minny fans who will eventually think (I wish he wouldn't act like that) and the refs start calling him out quickly for anything that comes even close to crossing the line of acceptable behavior and sportsmanship. 

In his defense, he's very young and his maturity doesn't yet match his incredible level of talent. 

If ever there was a situation in which coaches and mentors should get heavily involved in shaping an athlete's attitude and behavior as much as his actual wrestling ability and technique, this is one.

He needs leadership. 

If he gets it and responds well to it, I believe Steveson could become one of the best ever in our sport.

I'm truly hoping this happens.

What he is doing is within the rules! Why are you so upset by it? 

You want refs penalizing him? 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

What he is doing is within the rules! Why are you so upset by it? 

You want refs penalizing him? 

Be careful about the "within the rules" logic.

Think about some of the past and current coaches and wrestlers whose actions were technically "within the rules" but still created problems for them.  

Yes, I'd like refs to quickly address any actions that seem intended to goad, humiliate, insult, etc., fellow wrestlers. 

You tell me that if the Rutgers heavy was your son, your wrestler or your teammate that you wouldn't take a dim view of Steveson's actions at the 4:10 mark. 

If you can say that you wouldn't, that's ok, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the issue.

6 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

Be careful about the "within the rules" logic.

Think about some of the past and current coaches and wrestlers whose actions were technically "within the rules" but still created problems for them.  

Yes, I'd like refs to quickly address any actions that seem intended to goad, humiliate, insult, etc., fellow wrestlers. 

You tell me that if the Rutgers heavy was your son, your wrestler or your teammate that you wouldn't take a dim view of Steveson's actions at the 4:10 mark. 

If you can say that you wouldn't, that's ok, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the issue.

What does me taking issue have to do with anything? I would take issue if my son got hip tossed into a pin too, but it happened to me and will probably happen to my kids. That’s ok. Taking what a parent thinks in a n emotional state about their child when we are talking about D1 athletics isn’t relevant.

why isn’t goading a legitimate tactic? The mental components of a match are important and Steveson is figuring out how to use it to his advantage. Mocco did the same thing well. Gilman did too, but mostly prior to the match starting. 

Guys are constantly trying to play this game. Almost every optional start and often times when a guy is getting up from the top, they push down on the opponent’s head from behind. Sometimes this is done after the whistle is blown. That is exactly the same thing. 

I absolutely respect that you and many others don’t like it. That is part of what builds the hype. What I don’t want to see is refs getting involved if no rules are broken. Let the wrestlers settle it within the rules. Fans can hate it, but that should not influence the reffing. 

Edited by Housebuye

Some context is in order here. Ref had bizarre calls in the 184 & 197 matches with hair-trigger stall calls in one match and non-calls in the other. Bench warnings also.
Correnti, the Rutgers 197 eked out a 1 point win then proceeded to leave the team area, running over to the stands and taunting spectators. He was eventually corralled by the Rutgers staff and sent to the locker room. The ref ignored that whole scene.
Gable’s behavior was boorish but it was on the mat against an opponent who stepped out there to compete and had the opportunity to respond.
Correnti’s behavior, running up to the stands and making lewd gestures at fans was classless.

1 minute ago, powershouse said:

Some context is in order here. Ref had bizarre calls in the 184 & 197 matches with hair-trigger stall calls in one match and non-calls in the other. Bench warnings also.
Correnti, the Rutgers 197 eked out a 1 point win then proceeded to leave the team area, running over to the stands and taunting spectators. He was eventually corralled by the Rutgers staff and sent to the locker room. The ref ignored that whole scene.
Gable’s behavior was boorish but it was on the mat against an opponent who stepped out there to compete and had the opportunity to respond.
Correnti’s behavior, running up to the stands and making lewd gestures at fans was classless.

Yeah that whole Correnti thing was weird. I was rooting for Rutgers in the dual but that was blizzard behavior. Maybe he felt slighted or something. I wasn’t there is person so I could’ve missed something. 

10 minutes ago, powershouse said:

When did post-match, off-the-mat behavior regulation become part of a referee's job description?

I would have thought that's the purview of the coaching staff...oh, wait, that's what happened with Rutgers.

8 minutes ago, klehner said:

When did post-match, off-the-mat behavior regulation become part of a referee's job description?

I would have thought that's the purview of the coaching staff...oh, wait, that's what happened with Rutgers.

It has ALWAYS been part of a refs job. Teams/wrestlers/coaches can get charged with unsportsmanlike conduct at any time. The refs authority is not just limited to the mat during individual matches.

**** Definitely immature and not classy.  However, I think Steveson is just incredibly bored.  He loves the limelight and wishes that some team will put out a Hwt. who can challenge him.  One of the closest matches so far was the match against #6 Jordan Wood of Lehigh at the South Beach Duals.  They have met many times with Steveson winning all but the last match was at least reasonably close 9-4.  There is a lot of respect between both Wood and Steveson as they hugged after the match.  Steveson is looking for a challenge so he can show how good he really is.

Edited by Cary by the Lake