Show_Me

Missouri - '18/'19

Just wanted to start a thread for general discussion for the balance of this season.

-          Duals (10-0) with N. Iowa & Oklahoma St. still upcoming at Home. 

-          CKLV (2nd behind Ohio St.).

125:  Colby Smith, Jr. (6-1)

#18 per FLO.  Limited matches due to a very tough cut.  Only loss is to #3 Bresser at Vegas.  A key component if the Tigers hope to contend for a top 4-6 finish. 

133:  John Erneste, Sr. (11-3)

#11 in arguably the DEEPEST NCAA weight.  R12 last season.  Losses this season to #2 Suriano, #8 Lizak, & #17 Paetzell.  Tough cut also.  Hoping for an AA finish for John in his final season.

141:  Jaydin Eierman, Jr. (15-2)

#3 with losses to #1 Yianni & #2 McKenna.  2X AA (5,4).  Very talented, unorthodox, & fun to watch.  3rd place may be his ceiling but can score big points at NCAA with his bonus potential.

149:  Brock Mauller, Fr-true, (19-1)

#12.  Split with #11 Degen.  Pulled out of his shirt after AA Leeth was injured at Vegas (out for the season).  Will be interesting to see what his ceiling is this season ?  AA ?

157:  Jarrett Jacques, Fr-true, (18-5)

#18 with recent wins over Smythe, Humphreys, & Stroker.  Has shown improvement as season has progressed.  Could score some much needed points at NCAA.

165:  Conner Flynn, Jr. (13-3)

#13 with losses to #8 Ashworth, #12 Steiert, & split with #17 Gunther.  R24 last season.  Probably the 2nd deepest weight behind 133 will make it difficult to reach AA status. 

174:  Daniel Lewis, Sr. (15-1)

#4 with his only loss to #3 Amine in Vegas finals.  3X AA (4,6,4). Daniel has been the model of consistency during his 4 years in Columbia.  He will truly be missed.  Like Eierman, his ceiling may be 3rd/4th, but will likely score big points at NCAA with his bonus potential.

184:  Dylan Wisman, Jr. (13-5)

#15 with losses to #2 Parker, #6 ZZ (twice), #10 Preisch, & Looney.  Big win against #9 Dean at South Beach.  Appears to have won the spot from a very capable Canten Marriott (R24 last season).

197:  Wyatt Koelling, So. (14-7)

#20 with no “bad” losses.  With the exit of 3X AA Miklus to Iowa St., Wyatt has seized the opportunity and has not disappointed. He continues to improve and has a become a very tough out.  A recent big win over #9 Brunner at South Beach.  Hoping for some points at NCAA from Koelling.

285:  Zach Elam, Fr-true, (15-5)

#16 with a 3rd place finish at Vegas.  Wins over #11 Thomas & #12 Gunning as well as several losses to unranked wrestlers.  A bit inconsistent, but shows tremendous potential as a true frosh.  Excited to see Zach compete for 4 seasons.

Thoughts on this Teams 2019 NCAA prospects ?

Very solid team, as usual. Thanks for that breakdown. 

I think they’re likely to have a good number of guys in blood round and performance there will make all the difference. 4th maybe at best? 10th if the wheels fall off in blood round and 141 and 174 finish a little lower than expected?

141and 174 are very likely to place as you said 3, 4 range. Then I think a lot of guys who could get in there 6-8 or be out rd of 12. 

I think Elam AAs. He stumbled at south beach but besides that he has been rock solid. 

Missouri tends to sneak an extra guy or two on the podium.

i think they AA at 141, 149, 174, and 285. Maybe they can get 1 more on the podium. If they had Miklus and Leeth, I think they would have 5-6 AAs (Leeth replaces Mauller so cant just add 2 AAs). 4 AAs could be enough with bonus points to place 4th but they probably need 5

2 All Americans Eierman and Lewis probably our max for 2019. Anyone else makes it will be a major surprise. Do not think we will see Colby

Smith in Pittsburg if we do he could be the surprise. Erneste is a homerun hitter which always gives him an outside shot even with the weight being packed.

Nice breakdown.  Coming out of the MAC qualifier, I could easily see us getting 10 through.  I would be shocked to see Smith make weight 3 days in a row at nationals, if he is indeed their 125.  Punke looked very good at 125 at the South Beach Duals, beating #19 Schroder and losing in SV to #13 Arujau.  I could see Elam low AA or go 2 and out at nationals.  

I'd predict a 4-8 place finish.  I think if we max out we could go 3rd, but our 3 true freshmen scare me a bit on the big stage.  I find it amusing that Flo has Mizzou at #12 this week.

Edited by KCMO2

5 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Nice breakdown.  Coming out of the MAC qualifier, I could easily see us getting 10 through.  I would be shocked to see Smith make weight 3 days in a row at nationals, if he is indeed their 125.  Punke looked very good at 125 at the South Beach Duals, beating #19 Schroder and losing in SV to #13 Arujau.  I could see Elam low AA or go 2 and out at nationals.  

I'd predict a 4-8 place finish.  I think if we max out we could go slightly higher, but our 3 true freshmen scare me a bit on the big stage.

All 4 true freshman are solid. They won’t all AA this year, but man Missouri is looking good for next year, even while losing Lewis. 

I think Peyton Mocco is going to smash people next year too. Is he still injured?

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

All 4 true freshman are solid. They won’t all AA this year, but man Missouri is looking good for next year, even while losing Lewis. 

I think Peyton Mocco is going to smash people next year too. Is he still injured?

Malik Johnson will be ready next year as well.

15 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Mauller and Elam were far from marquee recruits but both look like potential 4x AA's already as true freshmen.  Another tremendous job of talent identification and development by Smith & Co.  

Elam was ranked #2 in the nation at 220 by Flo, and Mauller #8 at 145 during their senior seasons.  They were both pretty prized recruits.  (Elam received multiple D1 football offers as well)

21 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Elam was ranked #2 in the nation at 220 by Flo, and Mauller #8 at 145 during their senior seasons.  They were both pretty prized recruits.  (Elam received multiple D1 football offers as well)

Depends on your definition of "marquee recruit" I suppose.  What I meant by that was true blue-chippers--top 15 to 25 or so overall recruits, depending on the year.  Those are the guys that you'd expect would be able to step into a lineup as true freshmen and make this sort of impact.  

Elam perhaps proved that he should have been considered a part of that group, but not until after the fact at Junior World's.  Flo had him 54th overall.  If I recall correctly, Intermat and TOM had him slightly better, but not by a ton.  

Mauller wasn't even ranked as a top 10 recruit at 149/157, let alone a top overall guy.  Flo had him 73rd overall.  TOM had him 15th at 157.  

These are good recruits, no doubt, but look at the guys ranked around them on the 2018 big board.  How many are starting, let alone looking like AA contenders?  Within 40 spots of Mauller in either direction north or south on that list I see 1 other guy, and that's Elam.  That's why what the Mizzou staff is able to do is impressive.  

Plus the dropoff after the top 10 per recruiting class is significant.

To put it another way, almost every coach would choose 1 top 10 recruit rather than 2 recruits between 25-50. 

For missouri, their success rates seem much higher for the 2nd and 3rd tier recruits, but I haven't run the numbers for them

The following is Mizzou's Press Release for Friday's Dual at Ohio U. 

Of Note :

1) Colby Smith is listed at 133.  Read into that as you choose.

2) For Ohio, it appears that Cam Kelly will assume the 141 starting role from Kyran Hagan. 

================================================================================================================================================

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Fifth-ranked Mizzou Wrestling travels to Athens, Ohio, this Friday to take on MAC foe Ohio at 6 p.m. (CT). The dual is Mizzou's first since going a perfect 4-0 at the South Beach Duals from Dec. 29-30 in Fort Lauderdale. The Tigers carry a 30-match dual winning streak into Friday's dual as the team sits at a perfect 10-0 during the 2018-19 season. Ohio comes into Friday's dual at 2-2 on the year.

Mizzou and Ohio last met on Dec. 10, 2017, at the Hearnes Center as the Tigers earned a 36-3 win, claiming nine of the 10 weight classes. In fact, Mizzou has won all six duals against the Bobcats since joining the MAC for the 2012-13 season. The closest Ohio has come to knocking off the Tigers was a 25-18 decision in Athens on Dec. 13, 2014. Over the last three meetings with Ohio, Mizzou has outscored the Bobcats, 98-19, winning 25 of 30 bouts.

Below is the lineup that Coach Brian Smith will send to the mat Friday. As many as five freshmen could be in the lineup for Mizzou.

I mean, I’d there any way to read that and not think Smith is moving to 133? Unless he plans to make the cut to almost 125 and wrestle 133, he won’t be allowed to wrestle at 125 for at least a few weeks. 

I like Missouri, but since Waters the 125 weight has been pretty terrible for such a good team. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I like Missouri, but since Waters the 125 weight has been pretty terrible for such a good team. 

Was kind of unfortunate.  McGhee looked like he was going to be the guy, but just couldn't fully put it together.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

at least 80% of that line up is from MO and that is including Leeth's (another MO kid) replacement. Pretty outstanding considering MO very rarely gets acknowledged for its high school wrestling talent.

Edited by Perry

One pretty interesting note is the success that Mizzou has had at the 149 weight class. Mauller looks tough as nails as a true freshman, Leeth before him was a title contender and Houdashelt before him was obviously solid as well being an NCAA champion.

28 minutes ago, Perry said:

One pretty interesting note is the success that Mizzou has had at the 149 weight class. Mauller looks tough as nails as a true freshman, Leeth before him was a title contender and Houdashelt before him was obviously solid as well being an NCAA champion.

indeed, not to mention Lavion Mayes, NCAA runner-up @149 in '17

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I mean, I’d there any way to read that and not think Smith is moving to 133? Unless he plans to make the cut to almost 125 and wrestle 133, he won’t be allowed to wrestle at 125 for at least a few weeks. 

Malik Johnson may cure that issue next year if this injury does not keep him from getting back to 100% of what he was.

Zach Elam was beating the hell out of Singetary in Vegas until the latter's knee got tweaked and he defaulted.  He impressed the heck out of me.  Brian Smith might do a better job of teaching his guys to wrestle than anyone in the country with the exception of  Sanderson.