Show_Me

Missouri - '18/'19

11 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Yeah, not disagreeing overall with Elam's back half slump but Stencel is solid and a pinner.  He's pinned Elam, Cass and Parris this year, among others. 

For sure. Stencel is legit. If you told me this happened over the course of the year during the preseason I wouldn’t have been surprised. Given how good Elam looked early on though, this shouldn’t have happened. 

Results for Missouri wrestlers at "Roger Denker Open" today in Warrensburg, MO.  Brackets on Track Wrestling.

Cevion Severado 3-0 (1st)
Cameron Valdiviez 1-1 (2nd)

Weston Diblasi 3-1 (3rd)

Alan Hart 4-0 (1st)
Nick Nasenbeny 3-1 (2nd)

Alex Butler 3-0 (1st)
Malik Johnson 3-1 (3rd)
Sam Ritchie 0-3 (6th)

Derek McDaniel 0-2 

Peyton Mocco 3-1 (2nd)
Martell Boone 4-1 (3rd)

Jeremiak Kent 3-0 (1st)

Cordell Duhart 2-0 (1st)

Rodrigo Diaz 2-0 (1st)
Jacob Bohlken 1-1 (2nd)

11 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

How do you see Hart factoring into future line-ups? Spot starter type of more crucial part of the line-up? He's been pretty solid, not many 'bad losses' at least. 

With Erneste being done after this season..... I expect Alan Hart, Colby Smith, & Malik Johnson to compete for the 133 spot next season.

21 hours ago, Show_Me said:

With Erneste being done after this season..... I expect Alan Hart, Colby Smith, & Malik Johnson to compete for the 133 spot next season.

Didn't Malik compete at 149 this past weekend?

The following is Mizzou's Press Release for Friday nights Dual at MAC opponent, Northern Illinois. 

Of Note :

-  The final MAC dual of the season.

-  Looks like 133# John Erneste gets a break (deserved - tough cut).

-  Lewis looks to bump up to 184 again as Wisman still out. 

========================================================================================================================

COLUMBIA, Mo. – With the regular season Mid-American Conference Championship already locked up, fifth-ranked Mizzou Wrestling will head to Northern Illinois this Friday at 7 p.m. At 13-0 and an unblemished 6-0 mark in MAC duals, Mizzou is in search of a perfect slate in MAC dual action for the fourth time in seven seasons since joining the league.

Mizzou is coming off a 32-15 win over Central Michigan last Saturday, part of a 2-0 week that also included a 29-12 win over No. 14 Northern Iowa. Saturday's win over Central Michigan pushed Mizzou's overall record to 13-0, including a 6-0 mark in MAC action. That clinched Mizzou the MAC regular season championship, its eighth consecutive year with either a conference tournament or regular season title.

Northern Illinois enters Friday's dual with a 5-6 mark on the year, including a 1-2 record in three MAC duals. NIU crushed a pair of weekend opponents in The Citadel and Hofstra, winning the two duals 42-3 and 33-7, respectively. In fact, the Huskies have won three straight duals heading into Friday's contest. Mizzou of course has won 33 straight and 70 of its last 71 duals.

Mizzou leads the all-time series with Northern Illinois, 15-4, including a perfect 6-0 mark since joining the MAC. Mizzou has outscored NIU, 191-44, over those six duals, good for an average win of 32-7.

Head coach Brian Smith will send a lineup similar to the one he has all season to the mat Friday. Below is a look at Mizzou's projected starters, which includes seven ranked wrestlers:

Interesting move for Lewis wonder if he stays up if so Wisman and Marriott must both be done for the year.I know Lewis bumped up for Ohio dual so not looking to much into it

Edited by justafan

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I'm going to keep using the Punke Brewster nickname until it catches on, help me out 80s children of themat.com

Doubt if that nickname will catch on.  No offense but it's pretty lame.

As far as Lewis going 184, I think he has a better shot at making the finals there than 174.  No way he's beating Martin, but I think he has a better chance at beating the other 184's than he does beating Valencia or Hall.  If Wisman or Marriott is back in time for MAC's then Lewis will go 174, and Mizzou should qualify both weights.  If not, then I wouldn't be shocked to see Lewis stay at 184.

7 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

As far as Lewis going 184, I think he has a better shot at making the finals there than 174.  No way he's beating Martin, but I think he has a better chance at beating the other 184's than he does beating Valencia or Hall.  If Wisman or Marriott is back in time for MAC's then Lewis will go 174, and Mizzou should qualify both weights.  If not, then I wouldn't be shocked to see Lewis stay at 184.

I don't see him staying up, but if he does, I predict that he and Rasheed will meet in the NCAA semifinals where both will simultaneously lock up cradles and we will see the first ever double fall, sending the whole tournament into chaos. A world-wide apocalypse may soon follow.

12 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Lewis uses his strength and length from the top, his best position. He also has gassed against good guys towards the end of matches.

Moving up in weight will negate this. He could very well AA at 184 because he is that good, but I highly doubt he places higher at 184 than 174. Even Zahid at 184 would struggle for a little while. Watch his march vs Chip Ness. 

Mid he had moved up preseason, I’d agree with you. Now? It’s too late. 

Missouri improves their Dual record to 14-0 (7-0 MAC) by defeating MAC opponent N. Illinois, 40-6.

Notes:

1) Missouri extends their Dual winning streak to 34 consecutive. 

2) Daniel Lewis & Brit Wilson, both ranked at 174#, BOTH bump up to wrestle each other at 184#.  

3) Missouri doesn't wrestle again until Feb.8 at Arizona State.

==============================================================================

125:  Punke (M) dec B.West (NIU), 6-1
133:  Jeffery (NIU) wbf Valdiviez (M)
141:  Eierman (M) wbf D.West (NIU)
149:  Mauller (M) TF Kent (NIU)
157:  Jacques (M) dec Kaufmann (NIU), 3-1
165:  Flynn (M) MDec Moore (NIU), 10-1
174:  Fortuna (M) dec McWhirter (NIU), 8-2
184:  Lewis (M) MDec Wilson (NIU), 12-3
197:  Koelling (M) wbf Feldkamp (NIU)
285:  Elam (M) wbf Gossett (NIU)

Results for Missouri wrestlers at the "Missouri Valley Open" today in Marshall, MO.  Brackets on Track Wrestling.

Cevion Severado 2-0 (1st)
Dack Punke 1-0 (6th)

Weston Diblasi 4-0 (1st)

Malik Johnson 6-1 (3rd)

Sam Ritchie 2-2 (6th)

Derek McDaniel 2-2 

Peyton Mocco 3-0 (1st)
Martell Boone 5-1 (3rd)

Cordell Duhart 5-1 (3rd)

Jacob Bohlken 3-0 (2nd)
Austin Myers 3-0 (2nd)
Rodrigo Diaz 5-1 (4th)

I see where Punke FF his last 3 matches.  Was he injured?

Also, anyone know what Myers situation is?  He got be out for his starting spot by a true freshman, then he got hurt and was out for awhile, now he's wrestling again.

Punke has 3 duals remaining and he had 13 matches going into the open imagine he was just going to get D1 matches need 17 for rpi.He got 1 match and  won by tech so now he will have 17 matches after the next 3 duals

1 hour ago, justafan said:

Punke has 3 duals remaining and he had 13 matches going into the open imagine he was just going to get D1 matches need 17 for rpi.He got 1 match and  won by tech so now he will have 17 matches after the next 3 duals

If he would have wrestled the Semi against his team mate would that not have given him another D1 match. Must have been injured.

I would have liked to have seen Punke get 1 more match yesterday in case there is a forfeit in any of the upcoming duals (or) if he gets sick, misses weight, etc.

Cutting it close for the 17 matches / RPI.

Edited by Show_Me

6 hours ago, justafan said:

Ok, is this insurance in case Smith can't make 125 again, or have those plans changed?

Edited by KCMO2