Sign in to follow this  
tekto

Saori Yoshida announced her retirement

Today, Saori Yoshida announced on her Twitter that she has officially retired from competitive wrestling. For the last few years she has mostly been converted to "athlete coach" of Japanese female wrestling so it isn't surprising, but it is still big enough news that a breaking news articles and TV clips popped up in Japan.

Rio Olympics will forever have a special place in all American female wrestling fans, but as an American living in Japan for the last few years, I just wanted to give her an official farewell message to the single most decorated female wrestler of all time. 13 consecutive Gold medal winner at Worlds (a guiness record), and a record 206 consecutive victories in individual matches. She has only 3 losses since the beginning of 21st century. 3-time Olympic Gold medalist...and one Silver.

She genuinely seems to like teaching her juniors so she might officially convert to a fulltime coach, or become a T.V. commentator or who knows...either way, best of luck to Yoshida and her next career!

Now the question is whether or not Kaori Icho is going to compete in next year's Tokyo Olympics or not...

2 hours ago, tekto said:

Today, Saori Yoshida announced on her Twitter that she has officially retired from competitive wrestling. For the last few years she has mostly been converted to "athlete coach" of Japanese female wrestling so it isn't surprising, but it is still big enough news that a breaking news articles and TV clips popped up in Japan.

Rio Olympics will forever have a special place in all American female wrestling fans, but as an American living in Japan for the last few years, I just wanted to give her an official farewell message to the single most decorated female wrestler of all time. 13 consecutive Gold medal winner at Worlds (a guiness record), and a record 206 consecutive victories in individual matches. She has only 3 losses since the beginning of 21st century. 3-time Olympic Gold medalist...and one Silver.

She genuinely seems to like teaching her juniors so she might officially convert to a fulltime coach, or become a T.V. commentator or who knows...either way, best of luck to Yoshida and her next career!

Now the question is whether or not Kaori Icho is going to compete in next year's Tokyo Olympics or not...

Her Guinness record involves balloons, not to be confused with her wrestling records.  

https://soranews24.com/2018/08/28/japanese-wrestler-saori-yoshida-smashes-guinness-world-record-by-bursting-balloons-with-her-butt/

4 hours ago, tekto said:

Icho just beat Risako Kawai as I'm sure you know at the Emperor's Cup, so we'll just have to wait and see who wins the Meiji Cup to see if Kawai(or somebody else) gets another shot at Icho for this year's World Team.  I'm sure it'll be Kawai going against Icho in a playoff match.

I don't see why the JWF wouldn't hire her to a full-time coach since she's in the room already.

I'm really interested to see Susaki vs Tosaka/Erie at 50kg.

The Kawai vs Icho match was big news on TV especially after Kawai defeated Icho in the prelims giving Icho her first loss to a fellow Japanese wrestler since...forever ago? I can't recall her last loss in Japan since she lost to none other than Yoshida waaaay back when they were both in college in the same weight class.

Then Icho came back and defeated Kawai in the finals so you never know, but with the wrestling harrassment scandals last year, JWF certainly could use some positive exciting news.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:36 PM, tekto said:

The Kawai vs Icho match was big news on TV especially after Kawai defeated Icho in the prelims giving Icho her first loss to a fellow Japanese wrestler since...forever ago? I can't recall her last loss in Japan since she lost to none other than Yoshida waaaay back when they were both in college in the same weight class.

Then Icho came back and defeated Kawai in the finals so you never know, but with the wrestling harrassment scandals last year, JWF certainly could use some positive exciting news.

I just think that it's pretty amazing that Icho can take 2 years off, then come back and be in the driver's seat against the defending Olympic and 2x world champion(at 61kg) for Japan's Womens freestyle 57kg spot.

I do think Susaki will beat Tosaka in the Meiji Cup, then she'll beat Erie in the playoff.  Hopefully her dislocated elbow will be completely healed by then. 

It's really awesome to see how many world and olympic champions are wrestling against eachother for Japan's Womens World Team spots.  It'll be like that here in the US when 2020 comes rolling around and we get to see Burroughs/Dake/Taylor/Cox going against eachother as we have the past few years.  The only difference during that time will  be that all of them have won world titles.

Good stuff!