Sign in to follow this  
kionga

New Flo Rankings

10 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Sam Stoll at #1 borders on preposterous. Are they not watching the actual wrestling? 

Remember rankings are a reflection of past results not a predictions of future results.

But since Flo has basically embraced the fanboy model of journalism they might as well just rank all the hot commodities #1.

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

But since Flo has basically embraced the fanboy model of journalism they might as well just rank all the hot commodities #1.

definitely would have had Steveson ranked #1 since the preseason if that was the plan. tempting strategy i'll admit!

1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

You’re missing the point. The first rankings were 1. Martin 2. Parker 3 Venz 4 Zz 5 Shak. Venz and Zz lost to guys outside the top 10 not to guys in front of them.

So when ZZ lost, Shak should have moved up to 4. When Venz lost, Shak should have moved to 3.

I agree with you if Venz or ZZ lost to Martin or Parker there shouldn’t be any movement for those guys since they lost to a higher ranked guy.

When they lost, not only did they stay ahead of Shak, they moved the lower ranked guys ahead of Shak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when Venz lost to Reenan, both his and Reenan's resume were better than Rasheed's. Ditto for when Zavatstky lost to Foster. You don't automatically move down after a loss or up after a win. every new set of results creates new resumes, which are then compared to everyone else in the weight class. I'm not saying that we get everything perfect every time, we miss things and make corrections when we do. and because there are so many unique situations, there can be different interpretation of the resumes. so i don't necessarily think having rasheed higher than 7 is wrong either.

4 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

when Venz lost to Reenan, both his and Reenan's resume were better than Rasheed's. Ditto for when Zavatstky lost to Foster. You don't automatically move down after a loss or up after a win. every new set of results creates new resumes, which are then compared to everyone else in the weight class. I'm not saying that we get everything perfect every time, we miss things and make corrections when we do. and because there are so many unique situations, there can be different interpretation of the resumes. so i don't necessarily think having rasheed higher than 7 is wrong either.

Why is Reenans resume better than Rasheed’s?  Rasheed was an all-American wrestling up a weight.  Reenan is still seeking his first NCAA win.  

Thx for your time and thought. Although I don’t agree with your take, I appreciate the explanation.

Every other ranking service has this weight correct so maybe Flo the outlier on this one. Like you said, it will play itself out soon

Spey..

This isn’t for Flo specifically. I don’t know how others feel, but personally it would be cool if rankings were done preseason and up until after holiday tournies like you guys have done in past (preseason starts with placement from last year), no freshman, etc.

Then after the holiday tournies you can change it up and start ranking based on a combination of the normal method and change it to more predictive.

I think at this point in the year we shouldnt have situations where we say “oh we know they 3rd ranked guy would beat the #1 guy and it’s just how rankings work.”

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Why is Reenans resume better than Rasheed’s?  Rasheed was an all-American wrestling up a weight.  Reenan is still seeking his first NCAA win.  

Reenan had an excellent redshirt season and Rasheed's wins last year weren't better in a relatively weak 197. its certainly close tho. 

FLO is now the big bully on the block.   They don't allow for feedback or comments or criticism as they did when they were much smaller and more open to change (despite promising to do so ... I have the emails to prove this claim.)   They are now Wrestling Incorporated and a big bureaucracy!  (Some folks at FLO even poke fun at or openly mock fans and the questions they have).   

Yes, their ranking of Rasheed (an AA at a higher weight last year) is off the mark, and it is an outlier with respect to the other major rankers:

Wt. Wrestler InterMat
(1/8)
Win
(1/7)
AWN
(1/8)
Flo
(1/7)
NCAA
Coaches
1/8
NCAA
RPI
(1/8)
Team
NWCA Rank: 1
-
Dual: 1
Tournament: 1
TPI: 1
Dual: 1
1 1 1 1
125   - - - - - -
133 Roman Bravo-Young 14 14 19 15 - -
141 Nick Lee 4 4 4 4 - -
149 Brady Berge 9 10 10 10 - -
157 Jason Nolf 1 1 1 1 - -
165 Vincenzo Joseph 1 1 1 1 - -
174 Mark Hall 1 1 1 1 - -
184 Shakur Rasheed 3 2 3 7 - -
197 Bo Nickal 1 1 1 1 - -
HWT Anthony Cassar 4 3 5 4 - -

Edited by dmm53

6 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

They don't allow for feedback or comments or criticism as they did when they were much smaller and more open to change (despite promising to do so ... I have the emails to prove this claim.)   

You've often repeated this claim but this email chain clearly demonstrates that it is quite false. please retract your comment and issue an apology. thank you. 

16 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

FLO is now the big bully on the block.   They don't allow for feedback or comments or criticism as they did when they were much smaller and more open to change (despite promising to do so ... I have the emails to prove this claim.)   They are now Wrestling Incorporated and a big bureaucracy!  (Some folks at FLO even poke fun at or open mock fans and the questions they have).   

Yes, their ranking of Rasheed (an AA at a higher weight last year) is off the mark, and it is an outlier with respect to the other major rankers:

They have 1 somewhat disparate ranking  - every other ranking looks to be the exact average of all the services combined, and you call them bullies?  The guy (who seems like a good dude, but whom I don't know) is on here explaining himself to anyone who asks.  They also provide 2 methods for contact, i.e. feedback or comments or criticism:

Want to get in touch with the rankers? Follow Christian and Andrew on Twitter @CPyles8and @SpeyWrestle or email: christian.pyles@flosports.tv or andrew.spey@flosports.tv  

Seems harsh.   It will all shake out in the next 4-6 weeks.  

Edited by TFBJR
Brevity

3 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

You've often repeated this claim but this email chain clearly demonstrates that it is quite false. please retract your comment and issue an apology. thank you. 

I'm speaking about comments, criticisms, and suggestions on FLO's website not in outside forums.  There is a huge difference.  And this is the relevant point.   I'm not going to retract a fact.  Would you like me that to share the email correspondence I have received from FLO?   Jaroslav Hasek (if in fact that is an actual person rather than a pseudonym) is just a name not the FLO organization.  

I repeat: there is a huge and significant difference between emailing individual writers and having a forum for a response.   To his credit, J.H. (whoever he is) is responding, but why not provide a place on FLO's website for public feedback?   This was formerly the case.  It was removed; a promise was made that it would be restored (with old comments in tact); and this promise was broken.  Admit that.

2 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

I repeat: there is a huge and significant difference between emailing individual writers and having a forum for a response.   To his credit, J.H. (whoever he is) is responding, but why not provide a place on FLO's website for public feedback?   This was formerly the case.  It was removed; a promise was made that it would be restored (with old comments in tact); and this promise was broken.  Admit that.

I'm pretty sure he is the specific Ranker (if that is a job title).   In 2019 it is smart for companies to drive content to Twitter to increase visibility and limit liability.   Peace. 

1 minute ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Please contact us ON OUR SITE here https://www.flosports.tv/contact/ you can also call us at 512.220.1691. Also I would still like a retraction and apology. Thank you. 

I have contacted FLO in the past.  Retraction and apology for what?  The truth?  FLO no longer allows comments or feedback on their own website.  That is a fact.   If you are going to represent FLO here (I have no idea who you are), perhaps you should sign your name as "J.H (FLO representative)".   Perhaps you should apologize.  Large and growing organizations (like religions) have a tendency to become more and more insular and make themselves increasingly immune to challenge.   

7 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Retraction and apology for what?  

For falsely accusing Flo of not being receptive to feedback, criticism and challenges. the fact that there are no more comment sections on the website does not make your statements true. they remain false and I would appreciate a retraction and apology, unless you prefer to be known as a liar. If that is the case, please carry on spreading lies and false information. thank you. 

23 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

For falsely accusing Flo of not being receptive to feedback, criticism and challenges. the fact that there are no more comment sections on the website does not make your statements true. they remain false and I would appreciate a retraction and apology, unless you prefer to be known as a liar. If that is the case, please carry on spreading lies and false information. thank you. 

I have not paid Flo since they crashed the OSU-PSU dual.  I like their on-air personalities and have listened and enjoyed podcasts.  I love that their model pays for wrestling broadcast rights.  I think Flo is great for wrestling.  If one day the stream becomes reliable, I will pay again for a membership. 

I also think you being in this thread and discussing things proves some at FLO have an open mind. 

But unless it's drastically changed, their customer service and their billing was the worst.  They ignore, they blame the customer, and they do everything possible to keep the recurring charges recurring.  I think I had to send a first born to get my subscription cancelled.  

While you appear to have a great attitude, your company's point of contact with many fans is the customer 'service' team that gives you a bad name.

Edited by boconnell

3 minutes ago, boconnell said:

But unless it's drastically changed, their customer service and their billing was the worst.  They ignore, they blame the customer, and they do everything possible to keep the recurring charges recurring.  I think I had to send a first born to get my subscription cancelled.  

A lot has changed since the PSU OKST dual, for instance that was before I started working at Flo, but, if you are anyone else are having billing issues, I encourage you to you to contact customer serivce via our website (link again) or call 512.220.1691, people will read and respond to them. Any comment that pertains to wrestling content gets forwarded to the entire wrestling team. 

You think about giving a subscription another shot but understand why you'd be hesitant. and thanks for the kind words, they are much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Stl said:

No mention or account taken in the rankings for Dylan Wisman beating Max Dean at 184.

Maybe they’re still taking into account his loss to Looney in Las Vegas.  One good win doesn’t automatically put you in the top 20.

5 hours ago, Stl said:

No mention or account taken in the rankings for Dylan Wisman beating Max Dean at 184.

not sure why you'd say that. Wisman went from unranked to #18 after he beat Schany (mentioned here) and then from #18 to #15 after he beat Dean. Not every result gets mentioned in the explanations, and I ran out of time to do explanations in the rankings between midlands and scuffle. but the result was certainly taken into account. we miss results sometimes and make corrections if necessary but that was not the case here. 

9 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I've lost all respect for you and your nonsense.  Go away.  You have no claim to even be a faux journalist.  I bet you don't have any training or background in any area related to journalism or critical thinking or writing. You appear to think if you love or follow a sport that makes you competent.  It doesn't.  You appear to know nothing about criticism, thoughtful analysis, truth, or critique.  You are worse than a liar.  You are a fraud. You use a fake name of a Czech writer who actually had some talent.  Come out of the closet, "Jaroslav."  You need some therapy and then some.  

10 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Lose some weight and get in shape while you are at it Spey!  And acquire some actual journalistic experience and  skills.  No one trusts an out-of-shape arm-chair bloviator like yourself in a sport as demanding of discipline and technical ability as wrestling.  

Edited by dmm53