Sign in to follow this  
kionga

New Flo Rankings

One among many of FLO's false or misleading claims (to put it lightly) that Spey defends.   I could easily share many more.

Erin Phillips <erin@flosports.tv>

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:15 PM
I passed along the information you shared with the wrestling team. As far as your second question regarding comments, those will be coming back to the site soon (including all old comments. 

Thanks and have a great new year,

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM, FloSports <no-reply@wufoo.com> wrote:

dmm..If you have read the boards much (some college, but a lot on international boards), you know "Jaroslav" has been on these boards for a long time and playfully needles people when they're getting irrationally butt-hurt. He's teasing you. Calm down. You accuse him of hiding behind a pseudonym but he's been openly talking about himself as the one responsible for the rankings this whole time. Now you start attacking him and his character and on and on by his real name when you're the only one hiding in this exchange. He's respectfully answered every single question or comment people have put out there. I'm not a fan of Flo's customer service, but, dude, take your complaints (which are warranted) to the proper channels. "Jaroslav" is on this board as a fan because he likes to talk wrestling and because he likes to be helpful in explaining why he's done what he's done with the rankings. Reading your posts makes us all cringe--and not because of anything about JH. Yikes, man.

15 minutes ago, maligned said:

dmm..If you have read the boards much (some college, but a lot on international boards), you know "Jaroslav" has been on these boards for a long time and playfully needles people when they're getting irrationally butt-hurt. He's teasing you. Calm down. You accuse him of hiding behind a pseudonym but he's been openly talking about himself as the one responsible for the rankings this whole time. Now you start attacking him and his character and on and on by his real name when you're the only one hiding in this exchange. He's respectfully answered every single question or comment people have put out there. I'm not a fan of Flo's customer service, but, dude, take your complaints (which are warranted) to the proper channels. "Jaroslav" is on this board as a fan because he likes to talk wrestling and because he likes to be helpful in explaining why he's done what he's done with the rankings. Reading your posts makes us all cringe--and not because of anything about JH. Yikes, man.

This one has clearly jumped the shark.  Pull tf back.  

lol @dmm53

the mat has mentally broken u.

you've been going on for years about us not having a comments section on the site any longer.

i can assure you that 1) it was in the plans to bring back, 2) it's no longer a top priority and 3) it's not because we want to insulate ourselves from criticism but because other projects are more pressing.

lol. you're a hoot. The Flo guys are out here making themselves more available than anyone i can think of in any news/sports media field.

put on a tin hat dude. and/or go back to getting shredded on the Yarygin thread lol 

Edited by Husker_Du

8 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

lol @dmm53

the mat has mentally broken u.

you've been going on for years about us not having a comments section on the site any longer.

i can assure you that 1) it was in the plans to bring back, 2) it's no longer a top priority and 3) it's not because we want to insulate ourselves from criticism but because other projects are more pressing.

lol. you're a hoot. The Flo guys are out here making themselves more available than anyone i can think of in any news/sports media field.

put on a tin hat dude. 

I don't know about that. I mean, I see a lot of employees from Track and WIN on here talking about their rankings, interacting with the fans, taking fan questions for their weekly wrestling show, etc. If anything, seems like Flo is behind the times on all this. Shoot, you guys didn't even cover the local high school tournament I was at this past weekend, nor are you covering the one this weekend. WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS COVER EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT AND AGREE WITH ME ON EVERY SINGLE ISSUE!!

13 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

not sure why you'd say that. Wisman went from unranked to #18 after he beat Schany (mentioned here) and then from #18 to #15 after he beat Dean. Not every result gets mentioned in the explanations, and I ran out of time to do explanations in the rankings between midlands and scuffle. but the result was certainly taken into account. we miss results sometimes and make corrections if necessary but that was not the case here. 

My apologies, I missed the Dec 31 rankings that would have taken that match into account. I just thought it was one of the more significant recent 184 matches and was surprised to not see a blurb about it in the Jan 7 rankings (because not much else happened at 184 the past week). But obviously if it happened on 12/30 it would hit the 12/31 rankings, not 1/7.

Always been a huge fan of Flo, keep up the good work! 

Spey does a great job with the FLO Rankings.  I look forward to their release every week.  I also appreciate that there is some explanation/basis provided each week for the Rankings.  I know in the past he has responded to questions on this Forum, so here goes : 

Regarding the 1-21-19 Rankings, 149 lbs., I don't understand the following :

#11 Mauller (Missouri)
18-1 record (vs D1), his only loss to #13 Degen whom he has split with
3 Wins over Top 20 FLO opponents (#9 Martin, #12 Thomsen, #13 Degen)

#9 Martin (Wisconsin)
12-6 record (vs D1), with losses to #11 Mauller & unranked Purinton
2 Wins over Top 20 FLO opponents (#10 Berge & #18 Rohlfing)  

I don’t see how Martin gets ranked above Mauller in any objective Ranking.

Edited by Show_Me

5 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Spey does a great job with the FLO Rankings.  I look forward to their release every week.  I also appreciate that there is some explanation/basis provided each week for the Rankings.  I know in the past he has responded to questions on this Forum, so here goes : 

Regarding the 1-21-19 Rankings, 149 lbs., I don't understand the following :

#11 Mauller (Missouri)
18-1 record (vs D1), his only loss to #13 Degen whom he has split with
3 Wins over Top 20 FLO opponents (#9 Martin, #12 Thomsen, #13 Degen)

#9 Martin (Wisconsin)
12-6 record (vs D1), with losses to #11 Mauller & unranked Purinton
2 Wins over Top 20 FLO opponents (#10 Berge & #18 Rohlfing)  

I don’t see how Martin gets ranked above Mauller in any objective Ranking.

I almost emailed Spey and CP about the same thingMartin's ranking is basically from the fact that he beat Berge.  Three of his 7 losses are to the top 3 guys, although the closest was still a 5 point loss to Kolodzik.  You don't even mention Martin's non-D1 loss to the #1 guy in NAIA (who got teched 15-0 by #17 Olivias two matches later so not likely a top 20ish guy in D1).  Martin's wins don't come close to offsetting his multiple okay to bad losses.  He's 0-4 at NCAAs so not like he should get the benefit of the doubt a returning placer might.

I don't see Berge as much of a buffer between Martin and Mauller as his resume is fairly thin as well with wins over #13 Degen and #15 ven der Merwe, with a loss to #6 Finesilver to go with his loss to Martin. Heil, too, is fairly thin at #8 as his best wins are #12 Thomsen and #15 ven der Merwe, with his six losses breaking down as 4 to guys that are (or were for Zacherl) ranked above him, an injury default to #16 Lugo (down 6-0 at time) and then a “bad” loss to Blees.

I don't follow the reasoning, but hopefully they will shed some light on their thinking.

40 minutes ago, FlyinLion said:

I almost emailed Spey and CP about the same thingMartin's ranking is basically from the fact that he beat Berge.  Three of his 7 losses are to the top 3 guys, although the closest was still a 5 point loss to Kolodzik.  You don't even mention Martin's non-D1 loss to the #1 guy in NAIA (who got teched 15-0 by #17 Olivias two matches later so not likely a top 20ish guy in D1).  Martin's wins don't come close to offsetting his multiple okay to bad losses.  He's 0-4 at NCAAs so not like he should get the benefit of the doubt a returning placer might.

I don't see Berge as much of a buffer between Martin and Mauller as his resume is fairly thin as well with wins over #13 Degen and #15 ven der Merwe, with a loss to #6 Finesilver to go with his loss to Martin. Heil, too, is fairly thin at #8 as his best wins are #12 Thomsen and #15 ven der Merwe, with his six losses breaking down as 4 to guys that are (or were for Zacherl) ranked above him, an injury default to #16 Lugo (down 6-0 at time) and then a “bad” loss to Blees.

I don't follow the reasoning, but hopefully they will shed some light on their thinking.

I didn't mention the NAIA loss or the loss to Brayton Lee (redshirt) as those losses are likely not applicable due to those wrestlers not being in the pool of 75 D1 Starters.

I also didn't mentioned Martin's previous NCAA results.  At this late juncture of the season, the Rankers are focusing on this seasons results only. 

I agree with all your other comments including #8 Heil.   I am also hoping that FLO will shed some light on what I may be missing.

5 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

I didn't mention the NAIA loss or the loss to Brayton Lee (redshirt) as those losses are likely not applicable due to those wrestlers not being in the pool of 75 D1 Starters.

I also didn't mentioned Martin's previous NCAA results.  At this late juncture of the season, the Rankers are focusing on this seasons results only. 

I agree with all your other comments including #8 Heil.   I am also hoping that FLO will shed some light on what I may be missing.

The redshirt and non-D1 losses may not factor in NCAA criteria or seeding, but FLO regularly notes and adjusts rankings based on losses to redshirts (typically giving them less weight).   Case in point, Degen moved down a spot after his loss to Mauller while he was still on redshirt.  

Just another question for them on what all they do/don't consider.

re: Mauller and Martin - looks like just an oversight on our part. don't remember exactly what I was thinking but the process was probably Martin passing Berge bc of the head to head the week before, then last week after Mauler beat Thomsen, we moved him up but stopped at Berge because Berge has a win over Degen and Degen has a win over Mauller. but barring any other significant results this weekend we'll probably move Mauller up above Martin. 

Appreciate the heads up!

also results to redshirts, backups and non D1 starts do count. although to be honest it's often difficult to know exactly what a loss to a really good non D1 guy means, especially towards the bottom of the top 20, so we don't factor that in much if at all. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

47 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

re: Mauller and Martin - looks like just an oversight on our part. don't remember exactly what I was thinking but the process was probably Martin passing Berge bc of the head to head the week before, then last week after Mauler beat Thomsen, we moved him up but stopped at Berge because Berge has a win over Degen and Degen has a win over Mauller. but barring any other significant results this weekend we'll probably move Mauller up above Martin. 

Appreciate the heads up!

also results to redshirts, backups and non D1 starts do count. although to be honest it's often difficult to know exactly what a loss to a really good non D1 guy means, especially towards the bottom of the top 20, so we don't factor that in much if at all. 

Thank you for the timely response and keep up the good work !