Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

2019 Dave Schultz Tourney

54 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Courts pinned Joe Rau in a tilt, that was unexpected. 

Not that unexpected. Rau's focus is Greco and he pinned himself in a tilt against Beau Breske at Midlands this year. More surprising was the first period tech by the Cuban newcomer yesterday.

Still trying to confirm the rumor that Oliver was up late eating pizza and Cheez-Its while watching the 65KG matches at Yariguin before deciding just to say "Screw It" and sleep in instead of making weight at 70KG at Schultz.  PDIII or Tyler Berger, though, might apprise us on Twitter about what really happened.  Stay tuned.

Edited by dmm53

7 hours ago, Gantry said:

Really, nobody is mentioning anything - not a lot of love for this tourney on the forums.  Overlapping with Yarygin probably the big reason.

Molinario at 70kg, though he was going 65?

Seems like half the guys are wearing someone else's singlet, a little confusing . Carr is wearing Gadson's singlet, surprised it fit...

He is. He said he was planning to be there by the Open

David Carr and Sammy Sasso are insanely good. They are both going to be title contenders  

Carr dominated Ness and lost to Molinaro by 1 point in a high scoring match. 

Sasso beat Carr 7-2

Plus they have both looked excellent in folk of course so it’s not like they are bad on top/bottom

Remember that no matter how good these guys look they are not going against the top competition. That is in Russia this week.

Scheduling this tournament the same time as the Big Tournament on the frozen Tundra is foolish. They can't get the top guys on the mat this way. Maybe even Mark Schultz could come out of retirement and beat some of those who show up?

21 hours ago, Housebuye said:

David Carr and Sammy Sasso are insanely good. They are both going to be title contenders  

Carr dominated Ness and lost to Molinaro by 1 point in a high scoring match. 

Sasso beat Carr 7-2

Plus they have both looked excellent in folk of course so it’s not like they are bad on top/bottom

I know ISU is in good hands coaching wise but Nate helping out in any capacity is a dad I would welcome in my room any time.

Jim Humprey had a big impact at Ohio State when Reese and Jordin were there and he helped with the transition from Russ to Tom.

If Nate is anything like Jim, Cyclones will benefit.

Sasso had a nice win over Collica at DS; good wins over Lugo (I), Pantaleo (UM), and Maruca (ASU) at the Midlands, and only lost 9-7 to Micah at OIC. I expect him to be on the podium if he is healthy in 2020.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:28 PM, ExBSUfan said:

Any info on why JO didn’t wrestle? Did he miss weight? Is he sick? Is he hurt? 

He explained on his Twitter feed.  Had a travel problem.  Intends to compete internationally in February.