Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Stoll #1?

How is Sam Stoll ranked #1 by Intermat when he beat ISU's Gremmel 5-1 and PSU's Cassar beat Gremmel 16-5?

MFF out of Midlands before a test and even then he squeaked out a 3-1 decision in an early qualifying round. He will likely forfeit against Gable in his home state of Minnesota this coming Sunday.

The true talent in the B10 at 285 are Gable and Cassar and that should be your #1 & #2 seed respectfully. Stoll has not come close to earning a #1 seed, unless he shows up, competes, and wins this Sunday against Gable in Minnesota. I doubt that will happen. 

1 minute ago, skikayaker said:

How is Sam Stoll ranked #1 by Intermat when he beat ISU's Gremmel 5-1 and PSU's Cassar beat Gremmel 16-5?

MFF out of Midlands before a test and even then he squeaked out a 3-1 decision in an early qualifying round. He will likely forfeit against Gable in his home state of Minnesota this coming Sunday.

The true talent in the B10 at 285 are Gable and Cassar and that should be your #1 & #2 seed respectfully. Stoll has not come close to earning a #1 seed, unless he shows up, competes, and wins this Sunday against Gable in Minnesota. I doubt that will happen. 

I agree with everything you said about Stoll and not being ranked number one. However, comparative scores have no business in the ranking. If you win the match, you win the match. You don't drop somebody because they beat somebody by less points.

I'm really trying to care here... but I honestly can't.  I don't give a flying rip what Stoll is ranked today, or what he is ranked next month.  Come Big 10's, we'll be able to see exactly how he racks n' stacks.  If he MFF's out of that, they he'll get a lower seed at NCAA's, and things will be what things will be.  

Ranking is "nice" to know who is approximately where.  That's about it... 

He's the highest returning placer, he hasn't lost, and he's not completely inactive.  This is pretty standard rankings stuff that people want to flip out about because it's an Iowa wrestler.

Are you also in the camp that he won’t wrestle Steveson this Sunday?

37 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He's the highest returning placer, he hasn't lost, and he's not completely inactive.  This is pretty standard rankings stuff that people want to flip out about because it's an Iowa wrestler.

First off he's not the highest returning placer. 

Also this argument assumes guys wrestle their schedule and it assumes that only losses can dent a ranking and wins can't help it. 

There are many flip outs on this board based that are largely based on a guy wearing a black and gold singlet.  This isn't one of them.

Edited by boconnell

Not #1 but an option...Without that #1 ranking Iowa is not top 5!!!

High School -- Two-time Illinois high school state champion... compiled a perfect 100-0 record as a junior (52-0) and senior (48-0)... allowed zero offensive points as a junior and senior... 52 wins in 2016-17 are a school record... set school records for pins (35) and takedowns (220) in a season... pinned all four opponents in under two minutes at the 2018 IHSA state tournament... three-time conference champion... three time state medalist, placing third in 2016 as a sophomore, recording a 44-3 record... was 29-5 as freshman before injury ended his season... three-time Team MVP... placed third in folkstyle and freestyle at 2015 Fargo cadet... placed second at 2016 Fargo junior freestyle national championships and third at 2016 Fargo Greco-Roman national championships... Junior Triple Crown winner (folkstyle, freestyle, Greco-Roman national champion) in 2017 and 2018... Junior Pan Am Games (Lima, Peru) champion in 2017... played football tackle and guard his sophomore and junior seasons. 

Personal -- born December 1, 1999... son of Tony and Erica... oldest of six children, siblings include Giovanni, Rose, Angelina, Rocco, and Bruno... math, and sports and recreation management major.

From Penn State's perspective I think I'd rather see Cassar in the same bracket with Stoll than Stevenson @ B10s. If Stoll dodges Stevenson, and Cassar is not on his schedule, he get's an easier bracket the way things sit now. The fans also should see the best matchup in the finals, and I don't think that should include Stoll who could get there with an easier bracket.

Edited by skikayaker

13 hours ago, scribe said:

Vak, my friend, this is 2019 not 2009.

Not sure what one has to do with the other.  Iowa is still the most hated program nationally, even though they are no longer the best.  Listen to the reaction at the NCAA tournament when one of their wrestlers loses.

14 hours ago, headshuck said:

Are you also in the camp that he won’t wrestle Steveson this Sunday?

Given how little he's wrestled against non-Gable level wrestlers, yes I think Stollhouse will be sitting out.  And when they do wrestle, even if Sam was fully healthy, I would pick Gable to win.  That's not what rankings are, though.

The only wrestler I remember being celebrated in loss was gilman and almost nobody outside of iowa liked him bc he acted like a turd all the time. I'm sure some will cheer if steveson loses this year with his reputation (but at least he hasn't started running into team huddles just yet, so maybe he wont be quite as hated)

4 minutes ago, Perry said:

The only wrestler I remember being celebrated in loss was gilman and almost nobody outside of iowa liked him bc he acted like a turd all the time. I'm sure some will cheer if steveson loses this year with his reputation (but at least he hasn't started running into team huddles just yet, so maybe he wont be quite as hated)

Then you don't pay attention.  Look at how many fans sitting in NEITHER the Iowa or the opposing wrestler's section are cheering for the opposing wrestler.  It is almost ALWAYS decisively on the opponents side............

55 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Not sure what one has to do with the other.  Iowa is still the most hated program nationally, even though they are no longer the best.  Listen to the reaction at the NCAA tournament when one of their wrestlers loses.

I am trying to gently tell you tbar has taken the full mantel of aggrieved and assailed forum superfan of today’s juggernaut. Your Iowa guy just needs to wrestle a little more to earn that spot, not that he is an Iowa guy. 

3 minutes ago, scribe said:

I am trying to gently tell you tbar has taken the full mantel of aggrieved and assailed forum superfan of today’s juggernaut. Your Iowa guy just needs to wrestle a little more to earn that spot, not that he is an Iowa guy. 

Are you trying to tell me that I was the aggrieved and assailed forum superfan?  Awww...buddy, thanks!

Regardless, it doesn't change anything that this is pretty standard rankings stuff.  He's the highest returning placewinner who hasn't lost (sorry, housebuye) and he's wrestled some matches this season.  I wouldn't get mad at anyone dropping him down the rankings, but to accuse this of being some completely random and made up ranking is to ignore years and years of rankings process.

Exhibit A for this being about Iowa, not the reasoning for the ranking, is Seth Gross.  He has wrestled one match this year, has two studs right behind him in the rankings that have wrestled a bunch of high level matches and they haven't passed him.  Let me know when the thread complaining about that is posted.

Edited by VakAttack

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Are you trying to tell me that I was the aggrieved and assailed forum superfan?  Awww...buddy, thanks!

Regardless, it doesn't change anything that this is pretty standard rankings stuff.  He's the highest returning placewinner who hasn't lost (sorry, housebuye) and he's wrestled some matches this season.  I wouldn't get mad at anyone dropping him down the rankings, but to accuse this of being some completely random and made up ranking is to ignore years and years of rankings process.

Exhibit A for this being about Iowa, not the reasoning for the ranking, is Seth Gross.  He has wrestled one match this year, has two studs right behind him in the rankings that have wrestled a bunch of high level matches and they haven't passed him.  Let me know when the thread complaining about that is posted.

Gross should also be ranked lower. Its been discussed, but at the same time many people believe that Gross is capable of beating everyone. People doubt Stoll's ability (even at full health) to defeat the likes of Gable.