Sign in to follow this  
OBXWrestler

184: The Cornell and Penn State Era

With Myles Martin being the front runner to win 184 it could end Cornell and Penn State’s 8 year run of  champs.  If he wins this year will be the first year since 2010 that a non-Cornell/Penn State wrestler will win 184. 

2018 Bo Nickal PSU 

2017 Bo Nickal PSU

2016 Gabe Dean Cornell  

2015 Gabe Dean Cornell

2014 Ed Ruth PSU 

2013 Ed Ruth PSU 

2012 Steve Bosak Cornell 

2011 Quentin Wright PSU 

2010 Max Askren Missouri

During this 8 year streak the school’s have had 2 matches against each other in the finals (2012: Bosak vs Wright and 2017: Nickal vs Dean). They have also met in the semis 2 times (2014: Ruth vs Dean and 2013: Ruth vs Bosak) and once in the quarterfinals (2018: Nickal vs Max Dean). During the 8 year run of champs the only 2 years that one of the schools didn’t have an AA at the weight was 2015 and 2016 when Matt McCutcheon finished R12 (2015) and 0-2 (2016).  Ironically, neither school had an AA at 184 in 2010. 

Second the thoughts, Gantry. Nice work, OBXwrestler. I believe if you look in depth at Gabes senior season, you will discern significant differences in his output at at least 2 different times. I felt then and do to this day that Gabe was off form on more than one occasion, and battling through it took a toll on him. As great as Gabe was/is, he would have had to have been 100% mentally/physically/emotionally  perfect to have beaten Bo-Cephus. He wasn't, and so the result. ALL credit to both individuals and their teams, but you're spot on, OBX. 184 is in Myles hands and I do not think it will slip through his fingers again.

To this day I will say that dean got hosed vs nickal. He had 2 and it wasnt called properly. Cornell staff blew it by not having challenges available. Cael would have had one ready, but koll isnt at that level as a coach.

7 hours ago, OBXWrestler said:

With Myles Martin being the front runner to win 184 it could end Cornell and Penn State’s 8 year run of  champs.  If he wins this year will be the first year since 2010 that a non-Cornell/Penn State wrestler will win 184. 

Looks like it's shaping up that way, but Rasheed (ranked # 3) has a chance of keeping that string alive.  Dean (ranked # 10) not so much.  That said, there's still a lot of wrestling left and injuries, sickness, etc, (especially at an inopportune time) could come into play.  Right now though, Martin is the clear favorite.

1 hour ago, LemonPie said:

Cornell should take a 184 and bump him up to 285

They tried that some years ago with Josh Arnone.  He was 2007 NCAA 8th at 184 as a freshman, struggled with injuries the next 2 years, then went 285 his senior year.  Lost to Zack Rey in OT at EIWA semis (finished 3rd), then went 0-2 at NCAA's.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Cornell v. Lehigh Saturday will be a blow out.  Lehigh team is in tatters.

Yeah, teams with only five or six ranked wrestlers typically get blown out, especially by teams with five or six ranked wrestlers themselves.

Lehigh could win between three and eight (yes, eight) matches.  Wood is a definite, Kutler and Preisch are probables, Schuyler is a likely, Paetzell,  Humphreys, and Gentile are possible. If Chavez is not wrestling or is not up to speed yet, Wolf is a possible.

1 hour ago, Dr. Novak said:

Cornell v. Lehigh Saturday will be a blow out.  Lehigh team is in tatters.

Here's the lineup from the Lehigh match notes:

LEHIGH PROBABLE STARTERS RECORD
125 Luke Resnick (Fr., Chester Springs, Pa.) 1-7
133 Brandon Paetzell (So., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 5-6
141 Ryan Pomrinca (Jr., Annandale, N.J.) 6-7
149 Jimmy Hoffman (Fr., Drums, Pa.) 6-7
Cortlandt Schuyler (Sr., Lancaster, Pa.) 5-3
157 No. 17 Josh Humphreys (Fr., Parkersburg, W. Va.) 6-4
165 Gordon Wolf (Sr., Lawrenceville, N.J.) 5-2
174 No. 7 Jordan Kutler (Jr., Sparta, N.J.) 8-3
184 No. 7 Ryan Preisch (Sr., New Columbia, Pa.) 10-1
Chris Weiler (So., Biglerville, Pa.) 11-7
197 No. 15 Jake Jakobsen (So., Sciota, Pa.) 5-3
Kyle Gentile (So., Sellersville, Pa.) 8-2
285 No. 7 Jordan Wood (So., Gilbertsville, Pa.) 9-2

Let's face it, Cornell would be projected to win with bonus at 125 and 141 no matter who Lehigh sent out; I'm not sure why Paetzell would be projected at 133 rathere than Farro (who, IMO, is not a big step down from Parker).  After that, from 149 up, that's pretty much all of the expected starters listed. 

I've got this one as a 5-5 split, Cornell taking it on bonus points; but about 4-5 matches could go either way.  Should be a very good dual!

3 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Then Cornell must be down because Lehigh is 1-7.   Zero offensive pts against PSU and most of their team does nothing but stall.

Did you or your child get rejected by Lehigh or something?  Could their record have something to do with the fact that Lehigh has perhaps the toughest schedule in
the country, and *was* missing many of their starters for much of the season (a situation which has changed)?

15 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Then Cornell must be down because Lehigh is 1-7.   Zero offensive pts against PSU and most of their team does nothing but stall.

Lehigh lost to teams ranked #1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 17, and 18 by Wrestlestats; in the loss to #18, they had TWO injury defaults.

But yes, Cornell is "down" by comparison to a typical year - only 5-1, ranked somewhee about 10-15.

(Jeez, I never thought I would be defending Lehigh's team! :-O )

48 minutes ago, red blades said:

Lehigh lost to teams ranked #1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 17, and 18 by Wrestlestats; in the loss to #18, they had TWO injury defaults.

But yes, Cornell is "down" by comparison to a typical year - only 5-1, ranked somewhee about 10-15.

(Jeez, I never thought I would be defending Lehigh's team! :-O )

It's an odd world, isn't it?

Of course, Cornell has gotten this ranking despite losing one AA for the year, not having another AA for the first semester (and no more, we hope!), losing their
starting 149lber to a season-ending injury, having their 285lber out with an injury, etc.  Nowhere to go but up...