Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Coach Devin Carter

A great wrestler, and will undoubtedly be a great assistant coach. But I've got to question the decision to get 3 master's degrees before finally moving on to his PhD. Will he get a second PhD now, or perhaps a postdoc? Does he just love school that much that he never wants to move on and get a job? You'd think he could make some good money with all that education. 

hmmm, 3 Master's degrees and a PhD in industrial/organizational psychology?  Impressive.  No doubt Mudflap will now be calling for the Hawkeyes to make a run at Carter....could be the perfect fit to do some proper ciphering up to Iowa City.

Edited by gromit

It should also be pointed out that Carter couldn't just ease this into his schedule. He's obviously taking on a rather large burden to help out a coaching staff that found itself shorthanded at the worst of times. 

I don't think this is a career choice, its him stepping up because he recognizes a rather large need.  

It should also be pointed out that Carter couldn't just ease this into his schedule. He's obviously taking on a rather large burden to help out a coaching staff that found itself shorthanded at the worst of times. 
I don't think this is a career choice, its him stepping up because he recognizes a rather large need.  
Not necessarily true. If he is nearing completion of his PhD, he is likely done with class work and working on his dissertation, which he can work on whenever he wants. He may also have an assistantship to cover his costs, such as a TA, that would eat up some time, but he probably has a few hours to spare each day to coach. Plus by now he should have this school thing down pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If he is coaching at tech next year we'll know you're right. If not, that's probably one of the most empty and cynical posts ever.
It wasn't meant to be cynical. Just a comment on the time constraints of a graduate student from someone with a fraction of the graduate experience he has.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

It wasn't meant to be cynical. Just a comment on the time constraints of a graduate student from someone with a fraction of the graduate experience he has.

It wasn't empty either.  Your post was pretty accurate.  It's common in Econ PhD programs, for example, to have 5 years of funding with only 3 years of coursework.  If he's set to graduate in May, he is likely finished with his dissertation.  If he isn't on the academic job market, he likely is teaching one undergrad class so he'd have sufficient time for coaching.