Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

tOSU 125

Happy for him. He has the ability to AA, but it is pretty unlikely this year. I think there are a few guys hovering around top 20 he can beat, but unless the bracket falls apart or he is able to jump levels, he isn’t AAig this year. 

Crazier things have happened with true freshman though and he has the coaches and training partners to do this. Pletcher, NATO, McKenna, Jaggers, and Stieber are all helping him improve every day, plus the half dozen other 125ers on the roster 

17 hours ago, NYWRESTLER94 said:

Still think it would’ve served him better to redshirt this year considering his mixed results going into tonight. 

Tom is the coach, knows his guys better than anyone on this MB. That said, not very impressive debut. Beat a guy who has not wrestled in a month or so, on a steady basis. One take down against a so-so veteran. 

17 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Tom Ryan likes to have his best possible lineup on the mat.  He has consistently wrestled true frosh when they are the best option.  Good luck to Heinselman.  He got off to a nice start tonight.

He does have a history - he didn't redshirt Stieber until the injury forced him to.  And Synder went right away.  Was there someone better than BoJo and Nato when they redshirted?

NATO probably wasnt ready, he even had several losses his rs frosh year before ultimately winning it. Cant say I remember who the 125 and 174 starters were back then anymore though

Just now, Perry said:

NATO probably wasnt ready, he even had several losses his rs frosh year before ultimately winning it. Cant say I remember who the 125 and 174 starters were back then anymore though

I mean Heinselman isn't ready either. 

1 minute ago, Perry said:

Nick Roberts was the 125 that year.  He had a solid year and was a NQ I believe.  Nato beat him pretty soundly in the wrestleoff that year but stayed in redhshirt.

4 hours ago, Perry said:

NATO was 19-0 as a redshirt.....he only had 4 losses the year he won it and all were solid AA's(Dance, Peters, Waters and Gilman). 

Edited by MSU158

21 hours ago, Gantry said:

Thanks for the info, so it's probably more of a case that Ryan doesn't want to have holes in his lineup more than he wants the best guy out there at all times.  And heck, it's a solid way to do it...

Maybe, but there are other factors with redshirts. Some guys make agreements with the coach that they will take hard classes during redshirt so they can be more flexible afterwards. 

Some need time to get grades up

Some aren’t on weight consistently

some are homesick and aren’t mentally ready to lose a lot

etc. It could be Ryan always puts the best guy out there, assuming the other factors don’t interfere.

19 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Ben Askren is really high on Heinselman. Said he thinks he may challenge for a title down the road. Also said he doesn’t think he will AA this season, but he has a shot. 

Interesting as this seems like an argument for keeping him in redshirt.  I think often times really good young guys benefit from a redshirt when they A. Need time to grow and physically adjust to the college level.  B. Are on the level from neutral but need to improve on the mat to stay with the top guys.  Both of these criteria appear to apply to Heinselman so I was definitely in favor of keeping the shirt on. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

etc. It could be Ryan always puts the best guy out there, assuming the other factors don’t interfere.

The examples of Nato and BoJo show that he doesn't always put the best guy out there, that's what I was fleshing out.  But I do stick to Ryan never wanting a straight up hole in his lineup.  Who was the last sub .500 tOSU starter with a better guy redshirting?  Probably few and far between...

True that Ryan has sometimes kept his true frosh in redshirt.  But he hates to have holes in the lineup.  Too bad there isn't a national duals this year.  PSU would be a clear favorite but the battles between Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Iowa would be fantastic.  Maybe Mizzou belongs in that conversation.  Cornell possibly as well.

Heinselman will do well against opponents who can't physically overwhelm him.  He's a terrific wrestler but a bit undersized.

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I'm wondering if, given Heinselman's only so-so results thusfar, Ryan sees another recruit (maybe Decatur?) as the answer at the weight, so Heinselman's redshirt doesn't really matter much.

Are you talking about Jordan Decatur? Because I doubt he’s a 125 in college Jacob will be but he’s not even a big 113 right now