Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Ryan Deakin

"tough"? really?  Nolf almost DQd him from the bottom.

Per 3
Nolf takes bottom. He works up, then a shoulder roll but Deakin stays with him. Nolf to his feet, Deakin drops down to a leg, hangs on, and a stall call after 5 sec. Nolf up quickly, turns in, Deakin hangs on to a leg, Nolf off his feet, and then a stall gall on Deakin, 17-7. OOB with 31 sec left. Nolf stands, Deakin drops down on a leg, and finally a stall call with 16 sec. 18-7. Caution on Deakin. Nolf stands, taken back down, back up again, and a locked hands call, 18-7. End. With the RT, it's a 19-7 major

Edited by gromit

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

When you're as dominate as Nolf being able to hold him down for an entire period inspite of giving up stall calls is impressive. Deakin deserves some credit. It is Jason Nolf after all...

I guess if the ref just lets Deakin hang onto anything and take all those stall calls and Deakin is willing to lose big, just not by TF, its a win for Deakin. Hardly a good look for him. Another ref might have DQ'd him tonite. He could have racked up some stall calls in the first two periods with a lot of officials. 

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I guess if the ref just lets Deakin hang onto anything and take all those stall calls and Deakin is willing to lose big, just not by TF, its a win for Deakin. Hardly a good look for him. Another ref might have DQ'd him tonite. He could have racked up some stall calls in the first two periods with a lot of officials. 

Sure, but again Nolf is Nolf. Being held down even with the stalling calls is not thing that happens to Nolf often at all. Seeing how Nolf completely owned Deakin in the first 2 periods I expected him to get out within a few seconds. I did not expect Deakin to have those lift and returns. Yes he stalled on top which is why it was called. Yes he locked hands. Still I expected Nolf to get out. Didnt you?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Ha! Listening to tbar rationalizing nolf getting ridden really exposes his insecurities about all things psu. Pretending to be a fair minded objective fan while defaulting to defcon 4 over the slightest suggestion that the lions might have a weakness here and there is amusing and keeps me so entertained I feel the need to share.

Throwing taunts and snarky comments under the guise of "well, its true" in order to satisfy his need for expressing his perceived insight into the innerworkings and success of the kids is a classic example of living vicariously through others. Classic tool. 

I end up splitting my time reading his dribble and Chuckushumer/Pelosi in order to get a laugh.  

TBar is right, Deakin was not wrestling to win, he was wrestling to go the distance and not get TF'd or pinned. Locked hands, hanging on to a leg is not becoming of a #3 ranked wrestler. If Deakin wrestling with a little offense Nolf would have likely escaped, and won the match by TF. Nolf made the TDs look like childs play. Fleming, you're right about Chuckushumer/Pelosi, they are funny clowns.

Edited by skikayaker

Hey Fleming, I just call it the way I see it. There is getting ridden, which is what happens when a guy is flat on his belly, and there is what happened last nite which is not the same. Nolf was on his feet most of that third period. That is why all the stall calls.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Hey Fleming, I just call it the way I see it. There is getting ridden, which is what happens when a guy is flat on his belly, and there is what happened last nite which is not the same. Nolf was on his feet most of that third period. That is why all the stall calls.

Was Molinari ridden by Dake, by your definition?  Doesn't sound like it.

I don’t understand. It is perfectly reasonable to see the third period as a moral victory for Deakin. Nolf proved he is on another level than Deakin and was playing with him. All Deakin could do in the first two periods was stop a couple takedowns. 

In the 3rd, he knew he couldn’t win, so he tried to do something, anything, to control nolf. Guess what? He did! Nolf consistently Reid to escape and Deakin consistently didn’t let him. He didn’t care about stall calls because he knew he wouldn’t win. 

This in no way is bashing Nolf. Deakin wanted something positive to take away from the match in front of his home town. Nolf tried to stop that from happening but Deakin found a way to win his own little mini game. 

What does it mean? Nothing. Nolf embarrasses Deakin in front of his home town in what was supposed to be a competitive match. Deakin saved a bit of face by doing something at least, which against someone like Nolf is almost a win. Seriously. That’s how much better Nolf is than everyone. 

4 hours ago, klehner said:

Was Molinari ridden by Dake, by your definition?  Doesn't sound like it.

You think last nite was anything remotely like Dake - Molinaro? It wasn't. To answer your question, undeniably Dake rode Molinaro. In that match, when Molinaro got to his feet Dake slammed him back to the mat. Last nite Nolf got to his feet and Deakin had a standing tightwaist for 30 seconds with no improvement at one point. Huge difference. Deakin got the 2 minutes last nite, but it wasn't the same thing at all. 

Edited by TBar1977

10 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I don’t understand. It is perfectly reasonable to see the third period as a moral victory for Deakin. Nolf proved he is on another level than Deakin and was playing with him. All Deakin could do in the first two periods was stop a couple takedowns. 

In the 3rd, he knew he couldn’t win, so he tried to do something, anything, to control nolf. Guess what? He did! Nolf consistently Reid to escape and Deakin consistently didn’t let him. He didn’t care about stall calls because he knew he wouldn’t win. 

This in no way is bashing Nolf. Deakin wanted something positive to take away from the match in front of his home town. Nolf tried to stop that from happening but Deakin found a way to win his own little mini game. 

What does it mean? Nothing. Nolf embarrasses Deakin in front of his home town in what was supposed to be a competitive match. Deakin saved a bit of face by doing something at least, which against someone like Nolf is almost a win. Seriously. That’s how much better Nolf is than everyone. 

I'm not sure that was saving face but too each his own. Competing would have been better.

How close to a DQ were his actions?

1 minute ago, JeanGuy said:

I'm not sure that was saving face but too each his own. Competing would have been better.

He wasn’t that close to a DQ, but it also doesn’t really matter. 

We aren’t talking about him beating Nolf. That was out of the question after the first minute of the match. So he effectively created his own mini game and was able to stop Nolf from doing what he wanted to do - escape and tech. 

The crowd absolutely would prefer their home town guy to do something rather than get teched. 

For example, I trained bjj with some world class guys a few years back. I have fairly good back control due to wrestling and my body type, so they would throw me in against some of the best small guys in the world and have me start on their back - my entire goal was to see how long I could maintain back control. There was zero chance I was going to be able to submit them or really do anything offensive, but given their level and my level, it was a victory if I could stay in their back for over a minute. 

Just now, JeanGuy said:

You know, I've been called a PSU fanboy on these boards many times. If you cant see how riding out Nolf for an entire period is not a positive for Deakin I dont know what to tell you. Seriously I've asked several times "did you expect Nolf to escape?" And no one wants to answer it. I dont care if Deakin was stalling. I dont care if Deakin locked hands. I still expected Nolf to get out with relative ease. That's how good Nolf is. That's how much better Nolf is than Deakin. This whole, "he wasnt competing" comment is absolutely nonsense. Deakin was completely out matched. Nolf is not just a level or 2 better than Deakin, hes like 5 or 6 levels better. Yet Deakin still road him out for the entire period. That in it of itself is impressive. Had deakin not road him out and "competed" Nolf would have gotten the escape, and scored a series of takedowns getting the tech. If you cant beat your opponent you do everything possible to minimize the damage. Jeez, give credit where credit is due! And this is coming from someone who has repeatedly been called a PSU fanboy! 

6 hours ago, skikayaker said:

TBar is right, Deakin was not wrestling to win, he was wrestling to go the distance and not get TF'd or pinned. Locked hands, hanging on to a leg is not becoming of a #3 ranked wrestler. If Deakin wrestling with a little offense Nolf would have likely escaped, and won the match by TF. Nolf made the TDs look like childs play. Fleming, you're right about Chuckushumer/Pelosi, they are funny clowns.

That's my iossue. Deakin is way too good a wrestler to choose the path he took. Guys like Zach Hartman and Josh Humphreys who neither are as good as Ryan Deakin actually wrestled Nolf a lot harder than Deakin did. They both got pinned, but they both acquitted themselves pretty well at the same time. They at least wrestled to win even if their opponent was just too talented for them to beat. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

That's my iossue. Deakin is way too good a wrestler to choose the path he took. Guys like Zach Hartman and Josh Humphreys who neither are as good as Ryan Deakin actually wrestled Nolf a lot harder than Deakin did. They both got pinned, but they both acquitted themselves pretty well at the same time. They at least wrestled to win even if their opponent was just too talented for them to beat. 

And its stupid of them for doing that. They got pinned.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You know, I've been called a PSU fanboy on these boards many times. If you cant see how riding out Nolf for an entire period is not a positive for Deakin I dont know what to tell you. Seriously I've asked several times "did you expect Nolf to escape?" And no one wants to answer it. I dont care if Deakin was stalling. I dont care if Deakin locked hands. I still expected Nolf to get out with relative ease. That's how good Nolf is. That's how much better Nolf is than Deakin. This whole, "he wasnt competing" comment is absolutely nonsense. Deakin was completely out matched. Nolf is not just a level or 2 better than Deakin, hes like 5 or 6 levels better. Yet Deakin still road him out for the entire period. That in it of itself is impressive. Had deakin not road him out and "competed" Nolf would have gotten the escape, and scored a series of takedowns getting the tech. If you cant beat your opponent you do everything possible to minimize the damage. Jeez, give credit where credit is due! And this is coming from someone who has repeatedly been called a PSU fanboy! 

Exactly. Cunningham himself said Nolf was frustrated he couldn’t escape. That’s impressive to do against a guy like Nolf. This is all a compliment to Nolf. Even the guy who people thought might be able to beat him had to resort to getting a ride out no matter what and we are praising him for doing it! It’s becuse you, me, tBar and Deakin himself realizes Nolf is better than everyone, so something as inconsequential as a rideout while giving up 3 points is a mini victory. 

Stalling calls were legit, but not sure what Deakin's supposed to do when Nolf is too fast for him and he only has time to grab the leg. In hindsight, he would have  been better off just letting Nolf escape, but maybe he made the decision that he's rather absorb the stalling calls then get taken down again?

Just now, Fletcher said:

Stalling calls were legit, but not sure what Deakin's supposed to do when Nolf is too fast for him and he only has time to grab the leg. In hindsight, he would have  been better off just letting Nolf escape, but maybe he made the decision that he's rather absorb the stalling calls then get taken down again?

If he had let Nolf escape, he would’ve been teched. Deakin made the smart decision

2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I will answer that. Sure, I expected Nolf to escape. I also expected the official to start counting a bunch of times when he didn't. I also expected Deakin to wrestle to win, not to just hang on a leg while Jason tried to kick out, all the while willing to take additional stall calls. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

I will answer that. Sure, I expected Nolf to escape. I also expected the official to start counting a bunch of times when he didn't. I also expected Deakin to wrestle to win, not to just hang on a leg while Jason tried to kick out, all the while willing to take additional stall calls. 

What do you think Nolf will be working on specifically in preparation for his potential/eventual rematch with Deakin at Big Tens/NCAAs?

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

What do you think Nolf will be working on specifically in preparation for his potential/eventual rematch with Deakin at Big Tens/NCAAs?

You and I both know what he'll be working on. Not my point. My point has little to do with what Nolf did last nite. I thought he wrestled really well.