Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Ryan Deakin

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You and I both know what he'll be working on. Not my point. My point has little to do with what Nolf did last nite. I thought he wrestled really well. 

Neither does mine! My point is Deakin road Nolf out for an entire 2 min. That is a fact. Nolf is so freaking good that when little things like that it raises eyebrows. So what if Deakin was stalling or locked hands. That in it of itself getting the absolute best result out of the situation at hand. That's called smart wrestling. It's no different than the whole "1 not 2" or bailing on a takedown instead of going to your back. Nolf proved that Deakin isnto anywhere close to being on his level. Riding out Nolf was a huge statement imo. Am I even remotely concerned that Nolf will lose to Deakin? Absolutely not! But it doesnt negate the FACT that what Deakin did in the 3rd period was a tremendous effort. I can tell you this, Nolf probably feels the same way as I do. He probably feels he should have gotten out. Hes probably upset that he didnt. I 100% believe hes not saying, Deakin should have tried to wrestle me. Hes saying next time I will get out. Otherwise why would he be upset about not getting out. That's what competitors do. They think of ways to improve get better and move to the next level.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

If he had let Nolf escape, he would’ve been teched. Deakin made the smart decision

Though this is true, I doubt it was a conscious decision - someone of Deakins' caliber is not thinking mid-match "how do I not get teched?" He's thinking that if he can just flatten Nolf out, he still has a chance to win with his turns.

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

Though this is true, I doubt it was a conscious decision - someone of Deakins' caliber is not thinking mid-match "how do I not get teched?" He's thinking that if he can just flatten Nolf out, he still has a chance to win with his turns.

He certainly wasnt going to do it from his feet that's for sure!

6 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Neither does mine! My point is Deakin road Nolf out for an entire 2 min. That is a fact. Nolf is so freaking good that when little things like that it raises eyebrows. So what if Deakin was stalling or locked hands. That in it of itself getting the absolute best result out of the situation at hand. That's called smart wrestling. It's no different than the whole "1 not 2" or bailing on a takedown instead of going to your back. Nolf proved that Deakin isnto anywhere close to being on his level. Riding out Nolf was a huge statement imo. Am I even remotely concerned that Nolf will lose to Deakin? Absolutely not! But it doesnt negate the FACT that what Deakin did in the 3rd period was a tremendous effort.

That doesn't really raise eyebrows for me. I would expect a 3rd rated wrestler in any weight class to be able to somehow stay on top of any top rated wrestler if they were willing to accept getting hit so many times with penalty points. It helps when the mat official isn't counting while you are on your feet for 30 seconds doing nothing to return the wrestler. I don't really view wrestling that way as a major accomplishment. But to each their own. 

Btw, did you take note that Bo Nickal chose to start his 3rd period on his feet. That or the PSU staff instructed him to do so. Against a guy he is many notches better than. Perhaps that was no coincidence. Just avoid the stalling from bottom technique altogether that way. 

Edited by TBar1977

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That doesn't really raise eyebrows for me. I would expect a 3rd rated wrestler in any weight class to be able to somehow stay on top of any top rated wrestler if they were willing to accept getting hit so many times with penalty points. It helps when the mat official isn't counting while you are on your feet for 30 seconds doing nothing to return the wrestler. I don't really view wrestling that way as a major accomplishment. But to each their own. 

Btw, did you take note that Bo Nickal chose to start his 3rd period on his feet. That or the PSU staff instructed him to do so. Against a guy he is many notches better than. Perhaps that was no coincidence. Just avoid the stalling from bottom technique altogether that way. 

Pretty sure Bo did that because he was worried about getting the tech before finding the pin. That’s the most Bo specific problem I’ve ever seen. 

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Pretty sure Bo did that because he was worried about getting the tech before finding the pin. That’s the most Bo specific problem I’ve ever seen. 

The score was 9-3 after 2 periods. I could buy that if he was within a point or two of the TF, but he wasn't yet even close to the TF. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The score was 9-3 after 2 periods. I could buy that if he was within a point or two of the TF, but he wasn't yet even close to the TF. 

I’m telling you what ran through my head when I saw him do that. I could be way off, but I knew (and I’m sure Bo knew) he was going to get takedowns at will and get back points, but his opponent was doing a good job at preventing pinning combinations. Bo wanted as many opportunities to pin him as possible. I expect he and Nolf have their own competition for pins this season and all time. 

Bo is only 3 behind Nolf now and will almost certainly be #2 all time at Penn State. I think he cares about it and it makes his matches better. 

Edited by Housebuye

31 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I guess I hold Nolf in higher regard than you do then. The gap between Nolf and Deakin imo is much greater than in your opinion. Nolf is so good that he makes a top level wrestler like Deakin look 3rd rate. It certainly raised an eyebrow for Nolf, otherwise he wouldn't have been upset with the outcome.

And I 100000% disagree with your assessment of a 3rd rate wrestler being able to hold a top level wrestler down if they just stalled and locked hands.

I will say this, you've definitely earned your PSU Fanclub membership card back with these theads.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

7 hours ago, skikayaker said:

TBar is right, Deakin was not wrestling to win, he was wrestling to go the distance and not get TF'd or pinned.

So what's wrong with that? It was obvious he had no chance of winning. Is it not better for his team that he give up 4 team points, not 6 or 5? Of course, NW had no chance of winning the team match, so they might as well have just all gone out and gotten pinned.

55 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I guess I hold Nolf in higher regard than you do then. The gap between Nolf and Deakin imo is much greater than in your opinion. Nolf is so good that he makes a top level wrestler like Deakin look 3rd rate. It certainly raised an eyebrow for Nolf, otherwise he wouldn't have been upset with the outcome.

And I 100000% disagree with your assessment of a 3rd rate wrestler being able to hold a top level wrestler down if they just stalled and locked hands.

I will say this, you've definitely earned your PSU Fanclub membership card back with these theads.

I just want to be clear on something, and only because of the way you wrote your post. I was referring to a 3rd rated or 3rd ranked wrestler, not a third rate wrestler in any derogatory sense of that expression. So wrestler ranked 3rd, like Deakin. Not a third rate wrestler. I think you may have mis interpreted what my thinking was/is. 

I just re read my post. I wrote "3rd rated", as in ranked #3, not "3rd rate". I think those two things are basically opposites. Deakin is a terrific wrestler. 

Also, I hold Nolf's wrestling ability in the highest regard. Last nite changed nothing in that sense.

Edited by TBar1977

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Hey Fleming, I just call it the way I see it. There is getting ridden, which is what happens when a guy is flat on his belly, and there is what happened last nite which is not the same. Nolf was on his feet most of that third period. That is why all the stall calls.

That’s the problem. You choose to often not see reality when it comes to anyone at PSU. Lots of PSU fans here are capable of being objective. You are not.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I just want to be clear on something, and only because of the way you wrote your post. I was referring to a 3rd rated or 3rd ranked wrestler, not a third rate wrestler in any derogatory sense of that expression. So wrestler ranked 3rd, like Deakin. Not a third rate wrestler. I think you may have mis interpreted what my thinking was/is. 

I just re read my post. I wrote "3rd rated", as in ranked #3, not "3rd rate". I think those two things are basically opposites. Deakin is a terrific wrestler. 

Also, I hold Nolf's wrestling ability in the highest regard. Last nite changed nothing in that sense.

I get what you're saying, but we're talking about Jason "freakin" Nolf. I would agree with you if we were talking about the typical NCAA champ, but he is no average NCAA champ. I think he would dominate all 157 NCAA champs of the past 20 years. The gap between 1 and 2 this year at 157 is gargantuan, let alone the gap between 1 and 3. Deakin's 3rd period ride was a huge accomplishment/upset, unless you believe my opinion of Nolf is too high. Put it this way, I'm tremendously impressed with any/every wrestler this year that goes the full 6 minutes with Nolf.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I don't believe your opinion of Nolf is too high. Funny I am being accused of not having as high an opinion of Nolf while also being accused of being unrealistic about PSU wrestlers. 

I am going to listen to Rudis podcast because I think this match will be discussed. If their take is completely opposite mine, I will be somewhat surprised. 

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I don't believe your opinion of Nolf is too high. Funny I am being accused of not having as high an opinion of Nolf while also being accused of being unrealistic about PSU wrestlers. 

I am going to listen to Rudis podcast because I think this match will be discussed. If their take is completely opposite mine, I will be somewhat surprised. 

I know you hold Nolf's ability in the highest regard. I'm simply saying as high and great your opinion of Nolf is, mine is even higher based on our observations on last night's 3rd period ride.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I still don't know what you guys wanted Deakin to do? You're right: he wasn't close to sniffing back points but he also wasn't anywhere close to a take down - he had given up, what, 8 take downs? These "wrestling to win" takes are not realistic, Deakin was never going to come back and win that match.  If he lets Nolf get away, it is almost a certainty that Nolf takes him down and lets him up until he gets the tech.  That's not exactly wrestling to win either. 

Just now, ThorsteinV said:

I still don't know what you guys wanted Deakin to do? You're right: he wasn't close to sniffing back points but he also wasn't anywhere close to a take down - he had given up, what, 8 take downs? These "wrestling to win" takes are not realistic, Deakin was never going to come back and win that match.  If he lets Nolf get away, it is almost a certainty that Nolf takes him down and lets him up until he gets the tech.  That's not exactly wrestling to win either. 

Exactly.

1. My coaches always told me do your best to win.

2. If you cant win do you best not to get majored.

3. If you cant do that do your best not to get teched.

4. If you cant do that do your best not to get pinned.

23 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I get what you're saying, but we're talking about Jason "freaking" Nolf. I would agree with you if we were talking about the typical NCAA champ, but he is no average NCAA champ. I think he would dominate all NCAA champs of the past 20 years. The gap between 1 and 2 this year at 157 is gargantuan, let alone the gap between 1 and 3. Deakin's 3rd period ride was a huge accomplishment/upset, unless you believe my opinion of Nolf is too high.

You think he would've dominated the NCAA champ back in 2009? He was pretty decent at wrestling?

20 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I get what you're saying, but we're talking about Jason "freakin" Nolf. I would agree with you if we were talking about the typical NCAA champ, but he is no average NCAA champ. I think he would dominate all 157 NCAA champs of the past 20 years. 

Burroughs first undefeated season (35-0) and NCAA championship was at 157 pounds in 2009.  Would be fun to see that hypothetical match-up, but I don't see either guy being dominated.

Hats off to Ryan Deakin in avoiding the tech and saving one team point in his squad’s blowout loss last night to PSU.  I would agree that Deakin’s ability to ride Nolf an entire period is a huge accomplishment, if and only if he did not have to resort to blatantly breaking the rules to do so.

1 minute ago, gromit said:

Hats off to Ryan Deakin in avoiding the tech and saving one team point in his squad’s blowout loss last night to PSU.  I would agree that Deakin’s ability to ride Nolf an entire period is a huge accomplishment, if and only if he did not have to resort to blatantly breaking the rules to do so.

Rules were not broken. You are allowed to stall in a match. You just get penalized for it, which he did.

2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yes. I think Nolf handles 2009 Jordan Burroughs at 157.

It is hard to imagine anyone beating Nolf.  I'd love to see this version of Nolf vs. Burroughs and Imar (freshman year).