Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Ryan Deakin

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You do realize that Burroughs made HUGE strides AFTER 2009 right?

Imo 2009 Burroughs is not even close to the 2011 version of JB.

Jordan would more than likely agree with you on this.

2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You do realize that Burroughs made HUGE strides AFTER 2009 right?

In 2009, Burroughs’s bracket included Poeta, Leen, Gillespie, and JP O’Connor. I believe Burroughs majored NCAA champ Gillespie at that tournament. 

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

In 2009, Burroughs’s bracket included Poeta, Leen, Gillespie, and JP O’Connor. I believe Burroughs majored NCAA champ Gillespie at that tournament. 

Yup, which is why he was the 2009 NCAA Champ. Still doesnt negate the fact that 2009 JB <<<<<< post 2011 JB.

2019 Nolf dominates all those guys as well

Edited by BigTenFanboy

7 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

What about Kyle Dake in 2011-12, does Nolf dominate him as well?

2011-12 KD was not invincible. I saw him lose in the EIWA finals @ Bucknell that season ...or maybe I’m thinking 2010-11...I need to look it up

Edited by gromit

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yup, which is why he was the 2009 NCAA Champ. Still doesnt negate the fact that 2009 JB <<<<<< post 2011 JB.

There’s no way Nolf “handles” 2009 JB

No one is arguing that Burroughs didn't become better after 2009.  That's irrelevant to how a hypothetical Nolf-Burroughs match would turn out.  It seems that most posters disagree with you that Nolf would dominate Burroughs.  Personally, I'd pick  the 2019 Nolf over the 2009 Burroughs by a narrow margin (1 - 3 points) in a very competitive bout. 

Anyway, hypothetical match ups are purely speculative.  I just think its unlikely that Nolf would dominate Burroughs.

Deakin gave himself the best chance he had to win, while also stopping nolf from teching him. The only way he was winning that match is if he frustrated Nolf into making a mistake and caught him. He wasnt going to frustrate Nolf on his feet. Sure it didn't get him the win but he wasnt going to win any other way.

Also Nolf is amazing, but the only way he's dominating 2009 burroughs or 157 dake, is if he is the greatest wrestler of all time. Its possible I guess, but not likely that hes dominating those two.

Edited by Molsen

4 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

No one is arguing that Burroughs didn't become better after 2009.  That's irrelevant to how a hypothetical Nolf-Burroughs match would turn out.  It seems that most posters disagree with you that Nolf would dominate Burroughs.  Personally, I'd pick  the 2019 Nolf over the 2009 Burroughs by a narrow margin (1 - 3 points) in a very competitive bout. 

Anyway, hypothetical match ups are purely speculative.  I just think its unlikely that Nolf would dominate Burroughs.

I would say a 4-5 point win for Nolf that would look similar to injured Nolf's win over Hidlay in last years NCAA finals. Nolf would neutralize JB's doubles and ride him tough. Some considered that win to be dominant.

The feeling I get (which could be very wrong) is that people here are basing their opinion on JB's post NCAA success. Had JB just retired from wrestling after college he would be in history as another very good NCAA champion wrestler, not a wrestler who is arguably the goat.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

21 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I would say a 4-5 point win for Nolf that would look similar to injured Nolf's win over Hidlay in last years NCAA finals. Nolf would neutralize JB's doubles and ride him tough. Some considered that win to be dominant.

The feeling I get (which could be very wrong) is that people here are basing their opinion on JB's post NCAA success. Had JB just retired from wrestling after college he would be in history as another very good NCAA champion wrestler, not a wrestler who is arguably the goat.

Back in 2009, people were marveling at Burroughs’s run (which also included an unofficial win over former champ Schlatter)

We seem to remember his reputation in 2009 differently. 

42 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I think Burroughs would fare much better against Nolf that Hidlay did.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

Back in 2009, people were marveling at Burroughs’s run (which also included an unofficial win over former champ Schlatter)

We seem to remember his reputation in 2009 differently. 

I remember his reputation very well. I just think Nolf is that damn good.

8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I remember his reputation very well. I just think Nolf is that damn good.

If you remember 2009 Burroughs as being comparable to 2018 Hidlay, then we are remembering two different things. 

10 minutes ago, Katie said:

If you remember 2009 Burroughs as being comparable to 2018 Hidlay, then we are remembering two different things. 

No. I said the win for Nolf would look like that match. Nolf was injured last year and handled Hidlay. I'm saying a match with a full strength Nolf this year would look similar to the Hidlay match. HUGE difference.

17 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I've often thought that 2009 Jordan Burroughs was on the same level as *squints at record* freshman Hayden Hidlay.  Geezus.

No where did I say 2009 Burroughs = 2018 Hidlay. If that's what you inferred from my post you're not a very good attorney.

I said a 2009 Burroughs vs 2019 Nolf would look similar to a 2018 Hidlay vs 2018 Injured Nolf in terms of control and dominance.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

No where did I say 2009 Burrough = 2018 Hidlay.

I said a 2009 Burroughs vs 2019 Nolf would look similar to a 2018 Hidlay vs 2018 Injured Nolf in terms of control and dominance.

Other than the fact that both guys are completely different levels of wrestler and also completely different styles, that makes total sense.