Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Ryan Deakin

Just now, ThorsteinV said:

C'mon, I was replying to a post about Burroughs winning titles with other NCAA champions in it. You simply cannot say the same about Nolf (at this point anyway).

I did say a few posts up I think that Nolf would also beat Poeta and Leen. The two finalists from 2008.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I did say a few posts up I think that Nolf would also beat Poeta and Leen. The two finalists from 2008.

You think he would beat them, but also think he would DOMINATE Burroughs, Dake, and everyone else from the last 20 years. He maybe could beat any of them, him dominating those guys is a stretch. 

Just now, Molsen said:

You think he would beat them, but also think he would DOMINATE Burroughs, Dake, and everyone else from the last 20 years. He maybe could beat any of them, him dominating those guys is a stretch. 

Yes, why does that bother you so much? You dont have to agree.

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Yes, why does that bother you so much? You dont have to agree.

I have yet to see anyone agree with you, and see you give absolutely no solid argument for why you would think that. Up until you made that post I actually agreed with you on the whole Deakin thing. But stating that Nolf would dominate those guys is pretty ridiculous. 

Just now, Molsen said:

I have yet to see anyone agree with you, and see you give absolutely no solid argument for why you would think that. Up until you made that post I actually agreed with you on the whole Deakin thing. But stating that Nolf would dominate those guys is pretty ridiculous. 

That's fine you cant think whatever you want and they can all think whatever they want as well.

Just now, Ts40 said:

2019 Nolf beats college Burroughs, Dake, or Taylor.  My opinion he is just better 

Nolf might be able to beat them, and that is fine that that is your opinion. Hes an extremely dominant, multiple time champ. But he isnt dominating those guys.

10 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Funny thing is years ago after Taylor's sophomore season the board was pretty split on how good he was. There were those saying he was the greatest thing ever and others saying he hadn't wrestled anyone tough even mentioning his sophomore NCAA title was over 11th seed Brandon Hatchet. If you want to say that Burroughs had to go though a tougher path than Nolf to get his titles, that I agree with without question, but that never was the discussion.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Funny thing is years ago after Taylor's sophomore season the board was pretty split on how good he was. There were those saying he was the greatest thing ever and others saying he hadn't wrestled anyone tough even mentioning his sophomore NCAA title was over 11th seed Brandon Hatchet.

And that uncertainty was warranted. It wasn't until 2018 that he won a world title 

20 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

C'mon, I was replying to a post about Burroughs winning titles with other NCAA champions in it. You simply cannot say the same about Nolf (at this point anyway).

Look, he can only beat who they put in front of him. And he seems to beat those guys by stunning fashion. 

I have no interest in hypothetical like that. They are subjective. I responded because I am interested in him being recognized in the pantheon of great folkstyle wrestlers, and he IS in that pantheon. 

6 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Funny thing is years ago after Taylor's sophomore season the board was pretty split on how good he was. There were those saying he was the greatest thing ever and others saying he hadn't wrestled anyone tough even mentioning his sophomore NCAA title was over 11th seed Brandon Hatchet. If you want to say that Burroughs had to go though a tougher path than Nolf to get his titles, that I agree with without question, but that never was the discussion.

Taylor wasnt a champ at 157 so in your hypothetical, they wouldnt wrestle. Nolf would be dominating Bubba Jenkins. Still dont see a reason to think he would dominate Burroughs, or at the time 3 time ncaa champ Dake or any other champ in the last 20 years.

3 minutes ago, Ts40 said:

Please tell me what college wrestler was better than this year’s version of Jason Nolf?  

Anyone who has won an NCAA title.  Nolf hasn’t won anything this year.  Plus he has a teammate who has bonused everyone this year, too.

Edited by jchapman

2 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Anyone who has won an NCAA title.  Nolf hasn’t won anything this year.  Plus he has a teammate who has bonused everyone this year, too.

So a 6 seed winning a title in some random year is better than Nolf? That is plain obtuse.

Edited by TBar1977

1 minute ago, Molsen said:

Taylor wasnt a champ at 157 so in your hypothetical, they wouldnt wrestle. Nolf would be dominating Bubba Jenkins. Still dont see a reason to think he would dominate Burroughs, or at the time 3 time ncaa champ Dake or any other champ in the last 20 years.

I didnt finish my original post, got a phone call and accidentally clicked submit. My point was Taylor didnt wrestle the toughest competition in college, but turned out pretty darn good. If you want to say that Burroughs faced tougher competition on his path to his titles, I would absolutely agree with you, but IMO I think if you called up Doc Brown and borrowed his delorean and took Nolf back to 2009 he was have also dominated that field. You dont have to agree with me. I dont care if you disagree. It doesnt bother me one bit and it certainly shouldnt bother you either.

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Nickal atleast beat Dean, and dominated Martin, who won an ncaa title himself.

When u say he has a teammate who has bonused everyone this year in an attempt to somehow discredit him u shine a neon light on just how good he is. Please try to do better.  

Edited by Ts40

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Look, he can only beat who they put in front of him. And he seems to beat those guys by stunning fashion. 

I have no interest in hypothetical like that. They are subjective. I responded because I am interested in him being recognized in the pantheon of great folkstyle wrestlers, and he IS in that pantheon. 

Look, I'm fine with putting him in the pantheon of great folkstyle wrestlers; despite the fact he hasn't defeated many top wrestlers.  

I'm applying a lot of caution, however, in anticipating his overall career - I just don't think he has a style and skill set that transitions well to the international scene. 

3 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

Look, I'm fine with putting him in the pantheon of great folkstyle wrestlers; despite the fact he hasn't defeated many top wrestlers.  

I'm applying a lot of caution, however, in anticipating his overall career - I just don't think he has a style and skill set that transitions well to the international scene. 

The international scene was never part of this argument/discussion.

As for beating other NCAA champs, it's kinda hard to do that when the champs above and below you dont change weight classes and are also your teammates. And the top level wrestlers he beat are the AA's that finished below him during his freshman, sophomore and junior seasons.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

4 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

Well, with very little free style experience he has 2x come very, very close to beating Green in free and this after his Soph. year. I would say he is closer than you think.

Edited by TBar1977

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I responded because I am interested in him being recognized in the pantheon of great folkstyle wrestlers, and he IS in that pantheon. 

He is obviously an all time great. But to state he would dominate other all time greats, because Dake obviously was an all time great folkstyle wrestler, and Burroughs, with how dominant he was that year, and winning over another ncaa champ, returning undefeated champ no less and multiple time finalist in Howe, in his senior year, should definitely be considered an all time great himself, is a bit ridiculous.