Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

PSU v. NW, Nolf - Deakin (results inside)

PSU won the TD battle tonite 51-7.

Northwestern won at 125 18-2. Rivera got a lot of back pts and ended it very early. Northwestern also won at 165 when Morland beat PSU back up at 157 Bo Pipher by an 11-9 score. Morland was gassed at the end but still survived. 

PSU won all of the othetr weights without surrendering any TD's. Of note, Brady Berge got 9 TD's, Anthony Cassar got 5 TD's on 280lbs Conan Jennings, Shakur Rasheed got a quick TF and Bo Nickal won by FALL.

But the match of the night was Jason Nolf beating Ryan Deakin by a 19-7 major. That was Nolf's 100th win. 

Edited by TBar1977

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Well, I don't recall the last time I saw a guy ride 2 minutes and lose 3 points in the process. I saw that tonite though. 

Deakon had a solid ride even though he gave up 2 stall points and a locked hands for the ride out.  

9 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Deakon had a solid ride even though he gave up 2 stall points and a locked hands for the ride out.  

Solid ride? More like hanging on. Not even sure what his strategy could possibly have been. He's down 16-6 and just hangs on anywhere he can and he accepts a bunch of stall calls to simply only get majored. This after running straight to the edge for 2 periods. Like I said, not sure what the strategy there is except to just not lose by TF. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Solid ride? More like hanging on. Not even sure what his strategy could possibly have been. He's down 16-6 and just hangs on anywhere he can and he accepts a bunch of stall calls to simply only get majored. This after running straight to the edge for 2 periods. Like I said, not sure what the strategy there is except to just not lose by TF. 

No it wasn't solid, I was being facetious, he was hanging on for dear life.   I think they missed another locked hands call.  Nolf was taking him down at will.  

5 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

No it wasn't solid, I was being facetious, he was hanging on for dear life.   I think they missed another locked hands call.  Nolf was taking him down at will.  

Gotcha. Fine tuning my sarcasm meter as I type. I will do better next time. 

Perhaps his strategy was to hang on and just maybe catch him up on his back when he rolled through.  Better strategy then cutting him when he's already gathered sufficient evidence that doing so would lead to another takedown for Nolf.  

Whatsoever do you guys recommend doing against Nolf?  No one can match that dude's pace. 

12 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

Perhaps his strategy was to hang on and just maybe catch him up on his back when he rolled through.  Better strategy then cutting him when he's already gathered sufficient evidence that doing so would lead to another takedown for Nolf.  

Whatsoever do you guys recommend doing against Nolf?  No one can match that dude's pace. 

This is the point I was trying to make it the other thread I created. I expected Nolf to be out within a few seconds. Even if he gave up a bunch of stalls and a locking hands he still road Nolf for 2 whole minutes. Casey Cunningham even said in a post match interview that Nolf was upset for being ridden the entire 3rd period.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

30 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

Trying to run out the clock to avoid a worse loss is pretty sad, especially for a #3 ranked guy.  How does he expect to get better by doing that?

After the first 2 periods I expected Nolf to get the tech. In wrestling you "do what you gotta do" to minimize the damage. Deakin did what he had to do to avoid the tech. That's called smart wrestling. Imo Nolf is so far ahead of the field that not getting teched by him is impressive. It doesnt matter if you're the number 3 ranked wrestler. That is a testament to how good Nolf is. Seriously, when Nolf took down in the 3rd did you or did you not expect him to escape? When was the last time Nolf didnt score an offensive point in an entire period? The me that period was shocking. 

Edited by BigTenFanboy