Sign in to follow this  
HokieFan

VA Duals

Virginia Tech dominated its way to winning the VA Duals over UVA, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Old Dominion, Chattanooga, Lock Haven and Kent State.  After a rough start to the season, VT was at full strength finally and is starting to hit on all cylinders.

125 - Definitely a hole.  Neither guy has looked good and neither is likely to even qualify at this point.

133 - Myers is looking better and better but we all know how tough this weight is.

141 - Moore is looking a little like a true freshman.  He's struggling on bottom but he's pretty good on his feet and is getting better with each match.  He's pinning a lot of guys, including Krivus - who won a few matches at NCAAs at 149 last year.  I don't know if it's in the cards for him this year but I think he'll be a multiple time AA.

149 - Blees has regressed this year but looked better this weekend.

157 - BC got a big win over Early wearing a neck brace.  The dude brings it every time.

165 - I look for Mekhi to do big things.  I think he'll be VT's first champ in the next couple years.

174 - I think 165 is DMF's best weight but I still like him to be on the podium at 174.  He brings it in March.

184 - ZZ is a stud.  I don't think he can beat Martin but he can beat anyone else in the country when he's on.  

197 - Sleigh is racking up some nice wins including one over Oklahoma State.  And he avenged a loss against the UVA guy.  He could get on the podium.

285 - Miller looks great and scores a lot against lower tier guys but hasn't fared as well against ranked opponents.  He could still be adjusting to the knee brace though and has decent odds of placing in March.

If they can stay healthy, I think VT continues the string of top 10s in March with AAs at 165, 174, 184 and at least 1 to 2 more from the other weights.  

So glad to see BC finally get a win over a highly ranked dude. He thrashed early and has been knocking on the door to reach the next level. Maybe he just needed a neck brace. 

MM will be fine come March. He’s a homerun hitter and like you said has the freshman bottom struggles. 

Miller looked great too. Hitting Hi-C’s like Ty, who was probably smiling the whole time. 

Mehki = beast! 

52 minutes ago, HokieFan said:

Virginia Tech dominated its way to winning the VA Duals over UVA, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Old Dominion, Chattanooga, Lock Haven and Kent State.  After a rough start to the season, VT was at full strength finally and is starting to hit on all cylinders.

125 - Definitely a hole.  Neither guy has looked good and neither is likely to even qualify at this point.

133 - Myers is looking better and better but we all know how tough this weight is.

141 - Moore is looking a little like a true freshman.  He's struggling on bottom but he's pretty good on his feet and is getting better with each match.  He's pinning a lot of guys, including Krivus - who won a few matches at NCAAs at 149 last year.  I don't know if it's in the cards for him this year but I think he'll be a multiple time AA.

149 - Blees has regressed this year but looked better this weekend.

157 - BC got a big win over Early wearing a neck brace.  The dude brings it every time.

165 - I look for Mekhi to do big things.  I think he'll be VT's first champ in the next couple years.

174 - I think 165 is DMF's best weight but I still like him to be on the podium at 174.  He brings it in March.

184 - ZZ is a stud.  I don't think he can beat Martin but he can beat anyone else in the country when he's on.  

197 - Sleigh is racking up some nice wins including one over Oklahoma State.  And he avenged a loss against the UVA guy.  He could get on the podium.

285 - Miller looks great and scores a lot against lower tier guys but hasn't fared as well against ranked opponents.  He could still be adjusting to the knee brace though and has decent odds of placing in March.

If they can stay healthy, I think VT continues the string of top 10s in March with AAs at 165, 174, 184 and at least 1 to 2 more from the other weights.  

I don’t know about 4-5 AAs but Tech does look to be rounding into form. Beat up on UVA who had just knocked off Arizona St. 

speaking of UVA Mueller still dominating at 125. Really like to see him place high this year at NCAA tournament. 

VT is coming in strong

125 is disappointing but other than that, they are looking excellent. Also impressed with Bolen in redshirt. 

I think VT AAs at 165, 174, 184 and 197. Billy Miller has a shot too. I wouldn’t be shocked if Mitch Moore jumped levels by then but not picking it. Don’t think Laprade AAs this year but he has a shot too. Myers would needs the weight to fall apart. There are at least a dozen guys who are heavy favorites over him. 

still 4-5 AAs makes you a podium contender. They need 2 guys in the top 4 to make that happen. I think from 165-197 each guy has a chance at top 4 though. 

Last year, I thought Blees had an outside shot to place.  He was beating AAs during the season but starting with the NCAA tournament last year, he has really struggled.  Something must have gotten into his head.