wrestlingzen

Gfeller v. Ashnault

1 hour ago, TFBJR said:

Throat slash is mimicked violence; six shooters is a reference to OSU Cowboys?  Don't be obtuse.

I didn't love it honestly.  None of that is my thing.  I prefer taking off the bands and laying them down parallel, followed by a heartfelt handshake.  

Love the last sentence.....nice reference!!!!

58 minutes ago, tbert said:

Im sure the punks that threw water bottles on the mat after Fix win were just having fun too..  embarrassing comment by Goodale.

I guess I see your point, but I'm not sure what else a coach should/could say in that situation. It seems like the question was setting Goodale up to make a moral judgment about the post-whistle activities. In that situation, I guess he could have publicly admonished his athlete; instead, he chose to address it and move on without condemning anyone in a public interview. To me that's different than some morons throwing objects onto the mat.

44 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So then OSU shouldn't be doing it at all either then?

Not if we are going to disallow and condemn throat slashing. Would throat slashing be OK if the team name was the "Barbarians" or something along those lines?

1 minute ago, randyfoxwell said:

I dont think anything Ashnault did was a big deal. But I also think its really funny when guys try to act tough when theres like 7 people in between him and the other guy.

He says i nthe video he didn't really care about the shove, but he also didn't want people (i.e. his teammates/girls in the stands) to think he just took the shove.  That's probably why it seemed partially half-hearted.

2 hours ago, tbert said:

Im sure the punks that threw water bottles on the mat after Fix win were just having fun too..  embarrassing comment by Goodale.

Punks?  1 bottle by 1 idiot who was 100% vilified by every single person in my area.  Immediately tossed by Security after being pointed out by everyone in his area.  A total scumbag move, but again, he represents .0125% of the crowd.     

1 hour ago, randyfoxwell said:

I dont think anything Ashnault did was a big deal. But I also think its really funny when guys try to act tough when theres like 7 people in between him and the other guy.

Great wrestler, great career, but like many of his post match antics and interviews, it was totally  a NJ Guido move. 

You could be a 4-time AA, best in school history, wrestling a freshman in an action packed match. Shake hands and get off the mat there Joey Buttafuoco.  

joey-buttafuoco-mary-jo-marriage.jpg joey-buttafuoco-is-held-by-security-after-fighting-with-amy-fishers-picture-id127235740?s=612x612

I wonder if it had something to do with Heil knocking Ashnault out of the championship side of the tourney 2 years in a row in the semis and some built up bitterness towards OSU. He looked a little flat to start the match but has been on a tear this year. He can really put up points quickly. When he gets on his offense he knows how to pour it on.

3 hours ago, wrestlingzen said:

I guess I see your point, but I'm not sure what else a coach should/could say in that situation. It seems like the question was setting Goodale up to make a moral judgment about the post-whistle activities. In that situation, I guess he could have publicly admonished his athlete; instead, he chose to address it and move on without condemning anyone in a public interview. To me that's different than some morons throwing objects onto the mat.

If you have ever wrestled at OSU in the heyday, you would find the fans while passionate, where totally respectful and mostly reverent of the effort in good wrestling, even from an opponent. 

2 hours ago, Chitown said:

Great wrestler, great career, but like many of his post match antics and interviews, it was totally  a NJ Guido move. 

You could be a 4-time AA, best in school history, wrestling a freshman in an action packed match. Shake hands and get off the mat there Joey Buttafuoco.  

joey-buttafuoco-mary-jo-marriage.jpg joey-buttafuoco-is-held-by-security-after-fighting-with-amy-fishers-picture-id127235740?s=612x612

Joey Buttafuoco is from New York - get your facts straight

24 minutes ago, Chitown said:

If you have ever wrestled at OSU in the heyday, you would find the fans while passionate, where totally respectful and mostly reverent of the effort in good wrestling, even from an opponent. 

I get what you're saying, though I wasn't talking about the fanbase (which can be fanatic by definition). In terms of competition, I personally tend to favor the stoic approach: win or lose, shake hands, look them in the eye, and walk off the mat. That said, I'm not interested in enforcing a behavioral ideal, and part of me--maybe the base part--enjoys watching guys get after it. I obviously wouldn't want to see anyone get injured due to questionable antics, but in reality, it's a physical sport, and it never surprises me to see emotions boil over. 

5 hours ago, powershouse said:

Is it true that Coach Smith was firing six shooters earlier in match when Gfeller scored?

Unless it is another instance than the time I saw this is a definite "no". Smith was excited for the reversal and made a reversal signal. 

Edited by osufan12
typo

I thought the Ashnault went overboard with the six shooters and ticked off Gfeller.  Gfeller shouldn't have shoved him but I don't blame him for being ticked.  I just don't know how anyone can behave that way towards John Smith.  To me, he's an icon.

4 hours ago, silvermedal said:

I just don't know how anyone can behave that way towards John Smith.  To me, he's an icon.

Not just an icon but one of Ashnault’s personal role models. I remember talking to him both while in HS and early days at Rutgers (ran into him at the NYAC) and John Smith came up both times. There’s an interview floating around somewhere (NJ.com?) after Ashnault’s fourth state title in which he speaks about Smith as a role model as well. That’s why I still don’t think he aimed the gesture at Smith personally. Maybe the fans? When it happened, I honestly didn’t think it was that big a deal, but after he got shoved for it, I had to rethink whether there was more to it than just a little impromptu celebration. 

Maybe he just went off the rails temporarily.  But its not like he is 17-18.  Bigger concern is his coach blowing it off.   Quite the opposite of what Smith did.  At least cant blame only the wrestlers for their behavior. 

This really that big of a deal?  Anthony made the gesture, Gfeller felt disrespected and gave him a shove, both seem fine to me.  They seemed fine shaking hands after the team match was over, no bad blood and we move on.  Can we please stop acting like only Jersey/Rutgers kids make any gestures.  What about 2 studs from Minnesota?  Maybe you have heard of Mark Hall and Gable Steveson?  Hall used to do a different celebration after every match and Gable does his thing this year.  Harmless celebrations, nothing nasty.  Gable might be a bit rough for some but if you don't like it then give it back to him (he took a hard cross face earlier in the  year from a decent heavy who I forgot at the moment, and no issues), this is wrestling after all.

Now **** like Desanto where someone could get injured (i.e. Micic match) that is over the line.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, wrestlingphish said:

Not if we are going to disallow and condemn throat slashing. Would throat slashing be OK if the team name was the "Barbarians" or something along those lines?

Fair enough.  What about Scarlet Knights?

On 1/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, Juanma25 said:

I wonder if it had something to do with Heil knocking Ashnault out of the championship side of the tourney 2 years in a row in the semis and some built up bitterness towards OSU. He looked a little flat to start the match but has been on a tear this year. He can really put up points quickly. When he gets on his offense he knows how to pour it on.

Doubt it. Ashnault has a lot of respect for OSU. They recruited him heavily and he almost went there. 

I can't get excited about this because it was against the "cowboys" and seems to be a gesture mocking their mascot...I couldn't get excited for a lot of other reasons as well, but that one seems to show some legitimate connection.  I mean, who still does that?  

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Doubt it. Ashnault has a lot of respect for OSU. They recruited him heavily and he almost went there. 

Heil and Ashnault were the same class.  Maybe OSU picked Heil over Ashnault and that caused some bitterness?

32 minutes ago, unbiased said:

Maybe he is bitter because Heil was better.

Heil ended his career with a DNP while Ashnault will likely end as champion up a weight along with 4 dominant big 10 titles.   

Heil made a career of winning by the smallest possible margin.   In fact, his match against Guilibon (where he spent half the match 1 millimeter away from being pinned) likely resulted in a change to the rules.  

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Heil and Ashnault were the same class.  Maybe OSU picked Heil over Ashnault and that caused some bitterness?

coach Goodale thinks differently. Could be coach speak but I think he is feeling the truth.