Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Fix vs Suriano reffing will go down in history like Heflin vs Zeerip

I think they have wrestled for like one hour at this point with only one take down being scored. Do I have that correct?  I want to be excited about match number four at NCAA’s but I’m secretly dreading it.

4 minutes ago, madcat11 said:

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but ended up pulling for Suriano a bit and I think Daton looked better.  He's just impossible to attack.

Fix is so thick/solid for 133.  He may still lose a match or two, but I bet he gives up no takedowns.

It was probably the worst collegiate match I've ever seen, but the hands to the face was legit.  They've been calling it every single time this year, a truly awful way to end a match but undoubtedly the right call. 

The question is though - the ref seemed surprised that match was over initially.  Would he have called it had he realized that you don't get to finish the OT?  I'm honestly not sure...

Edited by Gantry

I actually thought all things considered fix amd Suriano went for it and didn’t stall. They are both excellent defensively and on counter attacks, so it was never going to be high scoring. Most predictions were related to 1 takedown or riding. 

The match would’ve been pretty good if the refs weren’t terrible

i really don't get those that are unhappy with the actual wrestling that took place... all the replays, replay replays, and replay replay replays were frustrating... the last penalty point was the rule but just an absolute awful rule... but the wrestling itself was extremely high level...

you handfight to get them out of position for a good shot... if they don't get out of position, don't take a stupid shot, get stuffed, and give up 2 on a go behind... sloppy shots that lead to points for the other guy is not entertaining wrestling... it is just bad wrestling... neither of those two are bad wrestlers...

I think both guys looked pretty even.  Olk St worked the ref the whole match about hands in the face. Its sad that they didn't call it in regulation, but call it in ot. Neither guys ever really had a serious let attach. I say just let them keep wrestling, lol

The match was a new form of collective torture: for the two wrestlers, the fans in the hall, the fans online, the coaches, the replay reviewers, the rankers, the parents of the wrestlers, the teammates, the dogs  of fans  waiting to go for a walk at the break between matches, and even the referees.  

The metaphysical (or theological if you buy that kind of nonsense) plan may have been to break the record for the length of time these two guys wrestled at "Whose #1" several years ago.   

How long did the match actually last from start to finish (including all the stoppages)?  Any guesses?  The  prize for winner of the guessing game is that they don't have to watch it again.

Edited by dmm53

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

i really don't get those that are unhappy with the actual wrestling that took place... all the replays, replay replays, and replay replay replays were frustrating... the last penalty point was the rule but just an absolute awful rule... but the wrestling itself was extremely high level...

you handfight to get them out of position for a good shot... if they don't get out of position, don't take a stupid shot, get stuffed, and give up 2 on a go behind... sloppy shots that lead to points for the other guy is not entertaining wrestling... it is just bad wrestling... neither of those two are bad wrestlers...

Not what I saw.  Both guys had at least a couple of opening where normally they would have taken and committed to a shot, but they didn't.  The announcers even noted it a couple of times.

I am disappointed that both of them didn't pull the trigger, but especially Fix since he seemed to be controlling the ties better and once or twice had good position to fire something off.  Overall, thought Fix looked a little better. 

Suriano also got away with a couple of things - hands to the face several times, bending fingers, etc.

I said it before and I will say it again - when Suriano wrestles the true elite, he just doesn't do much of anything.  He wrestles not to lose.