Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Fix vs Suriano reffing will go down in history like Heflin vs Zeerip

5 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

The match was a new form of collective torture: for the two wrestlers, the fans in the hall, the fans online, the coaches, the replay reviewers, the rankers, the parents of the wrestlers, the teammates, the dogs of fans waiting to go for a walk at the break between matches, and even the referees. 

Agreed.  My dog Buddy was pretty pissed at the length of time it took to review the calls.

I’m not down on the refs. Unless they were part of the long review problem.  They may have been.  

Ref made two key calls.  Though there was a locked hands.  Decided to overturn it. Ok, bad on ref.

And the hands to the face.   Can’t blame the ref to much here.  Very hard rule to call perfectly and consistently.

I’m curious to see the listing of ref grievances and how the refs are so much worse than the average ref.

4 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Not what I saw.  Both guys had at least a couple of opening where normally they would have taken and committed to a shot, but they didn't.  The announcers even noted it a couple of times.

I am disappointed that both of them didn't pull the trigger, but especially Fix since he seemed to be controlling the ties better and once or twice had good position to fire something off.  Overall, thought Fix looked a little better. 

Suriano also got away with a couple of things - hands to the face several times, bending fingers, etc.

I said it before and I will say it again - when Suriano wrestles the true elite, he just doesn't do much of anything.  He wrestles not to lose.

first and foremost... not one stall call...

and i would agree that normally they would have taken the shot... against normal wrestlers they finish... against each other it is not a finish, so, why anyone would want them to take bad shots is beyond me...

they both wrestled the way folk rules allow you to wrestle... i was not disappointed in the wrestling at all... the rules dictate that... the rules are horrible...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

first and foremost... not one stall call...

and i would agree that normally they would have taken the shot... against normal wrestlers they finish... against each other it is not a finish, so, why anyone would want them to take bad shots is beyond me...

they both wrestled the way folk rules allow you to wrestle... i was not disappointed in the wrestling at all... the rules dictate that... the rules are horrible...

I agree that nothing I saw rose to the level of stalling, but wasn't there a stalling warning late?

In any event, both guys wrestled like they were afraid to lose, and it was a little disappointing.  The hand fighting was very good, but honestly, by the second period it was the same over and over again. Both guys afraid to force the action.   This is a trend with Suriano against top guys - I hope it doesn't become a trend for Fix as well/

1 minute ago, DEFan79 said:

I agree that nothing I saw rose to the level of stalling, but wasn't there a stalling warning late?

In any event, both guys wrestled like they were afraid to lose, and it was a little disappointing.  The hand fighting was very good, but honestly, by the second period it was the same over and over again. Both guys afraid to force the action.   This is a trend with Suriano against top guys - I hope it doesn't become a trend for Fix as well/

not too belabor a point, but, this match was exactly their both their previous matches and you got snarky in an earlier thread about the stall calls... i don't get it... but, whatever...

i don't think it is a trend for either, but, stylistically this how their matches are gonna go... and with the ridiculous folk rules this is what we get... 

fix has had several matches in D1 that had similar levels of action and points scored... folks rewards not wrestling... this is the sport...

13 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

Again, why the refs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be fair. I don't really care to debate it, but the idea that a locking hands call gets reversed means that it was a bad call to begin with. 

Also, why can't coaches do the right thing and make that the last match?  Why start at 125?  People arriving/watching late, people who screw up the time zone (like me), online viewers turning off or barely paying attention after 149, some of the crowd leaving after 184 or 197, etc.   ALWAYS PUT THE MARQUEE MATCH AT THE END OF A DUAL

2 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Also, why can't coaches do the right thing and make that the last match?  Why start at 125?  People arriving/watching late, people who screw up the time zone (like me), online viewers turning off or barely paying attention after 149, some of the crowd leaving after 184 or 197, etc.   ALWAYS PUT THE MARQUEE MATCH AT THE END OF A DUAL

Wrestling, on the whole, is terrible at marketing and maximizing excitement and content.

4 minutes ago, Gantry said:

the only thing i can think of is have the match at a time when the appearance is that it possible could matter in a final dual score... i could see someone thinking it could keep the excitment for the fans in attendance higher... having it at the end, the dual was gonna be over at that point... can't say i disagree with either thought process...

but, imagine having that match at the end of a blow out dual... jersey shore might have torn that place apart... fires in the trash cans... cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria... 

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

They need to limit the length of video reviews. Cap it off at 2 min max (even that is too long) otherwise the call on the mat stands.

Just get rid of them.  I love accuracy as much as the next guy, but it killed the match.

14 minutes ago, LJB said:

not too belabor a point, but, this match was exactly their both their previous matches and you got snarky in an earlier thread about the stall calls... i don't get it... but, whatever...

i don't think it is a trend for either, but, stylistically this how their matches are gonna go... and with the ridiculous folk rules this is what we get... 

fix has had several matches in D1 that had similar levels of action and points scored... folks rewards not wrestling... this is the sport...

I thought there would be stall calls in this match as well, but i thought someone would actually commit to a shot, which both did in their previous two matches. That's usually what forces the stalling call.  In this match, we didn't even get to that point.

Like I said, high-level hand-fighting and getting out from bottom, but that was it. Match was incredibly boring after the first period when it became clear that each was afraid to take s hot and get into a scramble.

18 minutes ago, Gantry said:

If it's on TV, disagree, for one reason: the way ratings are calculated. Viewership is not calculated after the last commercial break of the program.

16 minutes ago, LJB said:

the only thing i can think of is have the match at a time when the appearance is that it possible could matter in a final dual score... i could see someone thinking it could keep the excitment for the fans in attendance higher... having it at the end, the dual was gonna be over at that point... can't say i disagree with either thought process... 

While I agree with the general premise, this dual team score wise was over before it started.  No fan at the dual went into the arena thinking they were going to win that match.  Even if there were a few of those people, I can't imagine a single person leaving before Fix/Suriano because the team score was out of reach.  But there definitely hundreds if not 1000+ who left before HWT today. 

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight said:

Fix is supposed to be this great freestyle wrestler and in this long match, he didn't even touch Nick's legs even once.  smh

Wonder if Micic will try this tactic

Yeah, I was wondering that myself.

Also, he has the greatest freestyle wrestler in American Hx as his coach and he doesn't shoot. J. Smith must be frustrated.