FriendlyCamper

Desanto Team Point

5 hours ago, Gantry said:

Or have we always had these issues and the Internet is just magnifying it now?  I mean we have stories about Gene Mills pulling out guys beard hair during a match... I'm thinking there have been excessive celebrations and after match shoves for decades but message boards now give anyone the ability to start a thread to express their outrage, which then leads to TheMat.com/HR/BWI/etc rabbit hole. 

Not saying I approve or disapprove of a lot of these, but I don't think it is a newfound systemic issue.  It's an intense sport with overly pumped up competitors, this stuff will happen and should be reigned in  if it goes too far.  Still, it isn't new...

No.

Incidents like these were very rare up until the mid-80s or so. 

I have my own theories regarding this, one of which is that’s about the time the model for head coaches started trending toward much younger guys who were not as professionally (or personally) mature. The emphasis on winning started overshadowing the altruistic goals of amateur wrestling and over time, more and more types of bad behavior was tolerated. Now, we’re at the point where many coaches, parents, wrestlers and fans have only known our sport as it currently is.

In previous eras, most wrestling coaches at every level didn’t have the same talent and coaching ability that Koll, Peninger, Robertson, Thomas, Nichols, Peery, Milkovich and other heavy-hitters did, but almost every coach shared, taught and enforced the same written and unwritten standards of conduct and sportsmanship. 

If today’s coaches, parents and fans demanded it, they could practically eliminate the existence of bad conduct in our sport.

Food for thought.

There are no bad regiments, only bad colonels.” - Napoleon 

The Micic match I won't defend, that's a different thing.  But other than that, I have no issues.  Desanto lost a tough match to Austin Gomez a few weeks ago in a highly pressurized environment (last match of the dual with the dual on the line) and he reacted well.

He also did it to Chaz Tucker, not a one time thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Old Corps said:

No.

Incidents like these were very rare up until the mid-80s or so. 

I have my own theories regarding this, one of which is that’s about the time the model for head coaches started trending toward much younger guys who were not as professionally (or personally) mature. The emphasis on winning started overshadowing the altruistic goals of amateur wrestling and over time, more and more types of bad behavior was tolerated. Now, we’re at the point where many coaches, parents, wrestlers and fans have only known our sport as it currently is.

In previous eras, most wrestling coaches at every level didn’t have the same talent and coaching ability that Koll, Peninger, Robertson, Thomas, Nichols, Peery, Milkovich and other heavy-hitters did, but almost every coach shared, taught and enforced the same written and unwritten standards of conduct and sportsmanship. 

If today’s coaches, parents and fans demanded it, they could practically eliminate the existence of bad conduct in our sport.

Food for thought.

There are no bad regiments, only bad colonels.” - Napoleon 

"eeeehhhhhh... back in my day..."

first off, incidents like this are rare today... when you consider the amount of wrestling matches that take place and all this message board can find to whine and mewl about is desanto and steveson... that is rare indeed...

wrestling has not changed in thousands of years... we as a species have not changed in ten fold that... they were diks in the 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, etc. we just didn't get the opportunity to see them on youtube 5 minutes later...

the good ole days?

tell me another one...

14 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Wrestling needs a heel and DeSanto plays the part. We don’t need anymore nice guys, we have plenty of those. Sportsmanship is great, but we need someone to hate. I love DeSanto’s antics and hope he keeps it up. Dead serious. 

Why does wrestling need a heel?  Why can't this sport stand on the merits of the sport instead of the antics of people after the match?

3 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

Why does wrestling need a heel?  Why can't this sport stand on the merits of the sport instead of the antics of people after the match?

I'd rather see the sport die with honor then take on some of the things that other sports accept.

15 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Wrestling needs a heel and DeSanto plays the part. We don’t need anymore nice guys, we have plenty of those. Sportsmanship is great, but we need someone to hate. I love DeSanto’s antics and hope he keeps it up. Dead serious. 

Flo gets some more clicks when they have a heel to talk about. But no non fan turns in because they know there's going to be an ******* wrestling.  It doesn't gain wrestling any new fans or supporters.  All it does is rile up some people who are already fans.

1 hour ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Flo gets some more clicks when they have a heel to talk about. But no non fan turns in because they know there's going to be an ******* wrestling.  It doesn't gain wrestling any new fans or supporters.  All it does is rile up some people who are already fans.

True story.  That's why Floyd Mayweather fights are so lowly rated.

48 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Flo guys had a field day with Dr Santo on FRL today. They said he lept right on by Gable S. in the race for Villain of the Year. They carried on about him for quite some time.

Cant blame DeSanto, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

1 hour ago, grappler6 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think this is evidence of the actual spit, but it definitely looks like the ref is signaling for the unsportsmanlike right after that, so it is seeming likely.

I think the bigger question is hopefully someone wiped the mat after that.

Edited by 1032004

Desanto has quickly become the sort of obnoxious twirp you want to lose.  His antics aren't remotely entertaining and certainly aren't gaining him any fans.  You wonder what Brands is thinking?  He may be a bit conflicted -- desanto obviously wins.  He's just very bad winner, which isn't attractive to anyone.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think this is evidence of the actual spit, but it definitely looks like the ref is signaling for the unsportsmanlike right after that, so it is seeming likely.

I think the bigger question is hopefully someone wiped the mat after that.

Check out the video again.  It looks like a wad of spittle dropping to the floor between the ref's legs (and right at the time DeSantos head goes down the furthest).  It's in slo-mo and replayed several times.

15 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Check out the video again.  It looks like a wad of spittle dropping to the floor between the ref's legs (and right at the time DeSantos head goes down the furthest).  It's in slo-mo and replayed several times.

I saw that, but don’t think that’s in any way conclusive.

1 hour ago, Paddleman said:

Desanto has quickly become the sort of obnoxious twirp you want to lose.  His antics aren't remotely entertaining and certainly aren't gaining him any fans.  You wonder what Brands is thinking?  He may be a bit conflicted -- desanto obviously wins.  He's just very bad winner, which isn't attractive to anyone.

Brands is probably thinking " Wow, this kid is even crazier than Gilman"

It's difficult to find anything about Desanto that is agreeable watching him wrestle.  He has all the appeal of a hyperbolic mole, the way he buries his face in his opponent and burrows into him. .  Does he even need eyes?  I wondered a bit about how Brands puts up with his unfortunate behavior.  Gosh, he just seems like such a hardass, and the sort of coach who might not like his wrestlers feigning (or actually doing it) spitting on the mat following a big victory. But then I remembered he was Gillman's coach, and realized ugly behavior didn't phase him in the least.