Sign in to follow this  
kionga

Indiana vs Maryland - Wow, just wow

Indiana defeated Maryland 36-3 yesterday.

To add more perspective,  on Friday, Ohio State defeated Indiana 43-3.

That seems to be a much larger disparity than I would think realistic for one division of one conference.

Is this 2018-2019 Maryland team weaker than the last few Michigan State teams under Coach Minkel?  I know Hemida is ranked, but he has not looked impressive to me.  And Bannister is not looking very good either.

Maryland is bad.  On the flip side, I think Indiana and Michigan State look much better than in recent years.  Both will still struggle in the B10, but the athletes seem to be buying into the new, more energetic coaches.  A long road ahead for both teams, but I think we could see them ranked in the top 25 in the near future.

Maryland needs to start fresh.

25 minutes ago, Bombermule said:

Maryland is bad.  On the flip side, I think Indiana and Michigan State look much better than in recent years.  Both will still struggle in the B10, but the athletes seem to be buying into the new, more energetic coaches.  A long road ahead for both teams, but I think we could see them ranked in the top 25 in the near future.

Maryland needs to start fresh.

I am not sure about Michigan State.  I would really like to see them improve significantly, but they seem to be losing out on top level recruits, even within the state of Michigan.  They would be much stronger with guys like Devin Skatzka, Trent Hilger, Nate Limmex, Cole Weaver, Steve Bleise, Ian Parker, etc.  One would think if these instate wrestlers had full confidence in the MSU coaching staff at least half of them would have chosen to remain close to home.

On a positive note, I do like how Rayvon Foley is improving, and Brad Wilton and Cameron Caffey seem like they are going to be real good.

I caught the last few matches of the Maryland Purdue dual on BTN on Friday. Now the dual victory for Purdue was already in hand by time I tuned in, but every shot I saw of the Maryland coaches was the same old stoic Kerry and apparently he demands the same level of intensity from his assistant coaches.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be the Brands bros, but no one was even talking to their guy on the mat, or even to each other about what they see, what they can work on from there, etc. 

Edited by KTG119

13 minutes ago, kionga said:

I am not sure about Michigan State.  I would really like to see them improve significantly, but they seem to be losing out on top level recruits, even within the state of Michigan.  They would be much stronger with guys like Devin Skatzka, Trent Hilger, Nate Limmex, Cole Weaver, Steve Bleise, Ian Parker, etc.  One would think if these instate wrestlers had full confidence in the MSU coaching staff at least half of them would have chosen to remain close to home.

On a positive note, I do like how Rayvon Foley is improving, and Brad Wilton and Cameron Caffey seem like they are going to be real good.

You're right.  They are not getting the blue chip recruits and that may not change for a while.  I like the core group that you mention at the bottom, especially Foley and Caffey.  Tutolo just took Pletcher to TB.  Hughes is inconsistent.  I thought he could have gotten the minor upset vs Ethan Smith.  If Chandler and staff can develop this group and get them in the rankings then maybe some bigger names will buy in.

18 minutes ago, Bombermule said:

You're right.  They are not getting the blue chip recruits and that may not change for a while.  I like the core group that you mention at the bottom, especially Foley and Caffey.  Tutolo just took Pletcher to TB.  Hughes is inconsistent.  I thought he could have gotten the minor upset vs Ethan Smith.  If Chandler and staff can develop this group and get them in the rankings then maybe some bigger names will buy in.

They have enough talent to jump levels. I’d say they have 4 guys who are legit AA threats this year. If they can put 2 or 3 on the podium, it will be a game changer for them. They are right there. 

Mom very impressed with Foley

1 minute ago, southend said:

On Indiana’s side, I’m going to tell you there is a night and day difference, from this year to last. And with pretty much the same lineup. The wrestlers are getting coached up. The only change thus far. 

I agree.  In the past I would not watch a lot of the Michigan State or Indiana matches, but now I find them entertaining.  The wrestlers are getting coached up.  Even when losing they are fighting through positions and to not give up bonus.  The coaches are energetic and engaged.  I was genuinely entertained by the Michigan State vs Indiana match earlier this season. Purdue has been pretty competitive over the years, but they are improving as well and are fun to watch.  

The one team that I won't tune in for is Maryland.

1 hour ago, kionga said:

Weaver was a Simmons guy (from Team Michigan/Fargo), it was probably 99% that he was going to be wherever Nick was coaching.  That seamed to be similar with Skatzka, too.  

Those two committed to IU before Chandler took over.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Sometimes being a great wrestler doesn't directly convert into being a good coach. Sometimes average guys end up being fantastic coaches though. 

The thing is that Kerry coached Stanford and did a good job and did well as an assistant at Lehigh too.  I don't know what it is, and I know he is universally liked by everyone who knows him, but it's time for a change.  That program continues to get worse with no signs that it'll improve...

12 minutes ago, Gantry said:

The thing is that Kerry coached Stanford and did a good job and did well as an assistant at Lehigh too.  I don't know what it is, and I know he is universally liked by everyone who knows him, but it's time for a change.  That program continues to get worse with no signs that it'll improve...

Maybe he's lost his mojo, his love for the sport?

1 hour ago, kionga said:

I am not sure about Michigan State.  I would really like to see them improve significantly, but they seem to be losing out on top level recruits, even within the state of Michigan.

Call it a hunch, but I don't see MSU athletics or academics improving in the near future.

20 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Maybe he's lost his mojo, his love for the sport?

I don't think so, they have an RTC like thing where people are training.  He's still traveling and helping out post collegiates.  There was a great article on how Kerry got Kenny Courts out of retirement, to lose a bunch of weight and come back and wrestle a tournament where he pinned a high level russian.  It was a great read and there was total respect there.  The guy is universally loved by the people he's involved with, so I wish I knew why Maryland is where they are.  But unfortunately it's a tough sport, especially in the Big Ten and the results aren't there.  Unless he gets a Jake Herbert-like recruit to turn around the program I don't see it changing.  I sure hope it does though...

1 hour ago, justafan said:

If McCoy goes which has been a rumor for years now .If Tervel is looking for a head job  he would be a good choice as would Reader or Ramos.

Tervel to Maryland and Logie Bear on staff at tOSU.......I like the sound of that!

Tervel runs the Ohio RTC which will have a top of the line training facility next season.  It would take a lot for him to leave as he has a great situation in Columbus.  

McCoy can't recruit and that is killing Maryland.  He needs an assistant who will be an attraction and who can talk some of that NY, PA and NJ talent into coming.